Christie Blatchford deplores lack of “kindness” in Canadian immigration policy

Christie Blatchford is a Canadian newspaper columnist, journalist and broadcaster.

Christie Blatchford: Canada shows lack of kindness in deporting harmless Pakistani woman

Republish Reprint

 | September 16, 2014 7:57 PM ET
More from Christie Blatchford

Jamila Bibi was whisked away by two Canadian Border Services Agency officers early Tuesday morning at the Saskatoon airport, set for deportation to her native Pakistan.

Evan Radford/Postmedia NewsJamila Bibi was whisked away by two Canadian Border Services Agency officers early Tuesday morning at the Saskatoon airport, set for deportation to her native Pakistan.

When I saw the picture of a weeping Jamila Bibi in the Saskatoon Star PhoenixTuesday, I thought of only one thing, and that is, how Canada looks from the air.

I’ve flown across this country probably more than the average bear, most recently this summer from Prince George, B.C., to Moncton, N.B., when the shooting of four Mounties overtook the trial I was covering.

Lucky me, in the course of doing my job, I’ve seen Canada in all four seasons from the air. The only constant is how marvelously empty the country is, most of it.

Yet Canada couldn’t wait to deport Ms. Bibi, an unsophisticated woman from a village in Pakistan, Tuesday morning from the airport in Saskatoon. She and her friend and ally, Sahana Yeasmin, at whose restaurant Ms. Bibi had been working, said a tearful goodbye.

Ms. Bibi had been faithfully checking in weekly for the past 22 months, just as she had been ordered to do, and it was at one of these recent check-ins that authorities abruptly decided to remove her, despite a United Nations order to put the proceeding on hold until it was properly investigated.

Evan Radford/Postmedia NewsEvan Radford/Postmedia News

Jamila Bibi and Sahana Yeasmin, her friend and employer, cry at the Saskatoon airport as Bibi awaits deportation to Pakistan.

Her lawyer, Bashir Khan of Winnipeg, says she doesn’t know when she was born, but guesses she’s probably in her early 60s. He is enraged by her treatment, and so am I.

Ms. Bibi was sent back to a country where generally, women and girls are treated appallingly, where as the most recent report of the United Nations Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women notes, child and forced marriage, “karo-kari” (a local term that covers a wide variety of allegedly immoral female behaviour and which empowers family members to commit an honour killing), stove-burning and acid throwing, marriage to the Koran, and polygamy all persist.

(…)

Canadian Muslims condemn ISIS savagery in Iraq, Syria

Mohammed Azhar Ali Khan

Canadian Muslims – living in a country where race, religion or ethnicity do not produce discrimination or oppression, the law is supreme, freedom of expression is enjoyed by all and the people are friendly and receptive to diversity – are horrified by the barbarity in Syria and Iraq.

They find the so-called Islamic caliphate particularly repulsive because its actions, particularly violent persecution of Shias, Christians, Yazidis, women and moderate Sunnis, violate the basic teachings of Islam that command justice, tolerance, compassion and respect for people of other beliefs. Its brutality goes against the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) whose life clearly illustrated that his mission was to be a mercy for all mankind.

Canadian Muslims worry about ISIS’s brutality for three other reasons. One is that while violence and brutality are common throughout the world and are committed by people of different faiths and also by those who profess no beliefs, the so-called caliphate says it is acting in accordance with Islamic teachings – a monstrous lie. Continue reading

CALGARY: HIV positive Sudanese man withheld his health condition from woman he married

Sudan: HIV/AIDS prevalence was 2.6 percent in 2012

KEVIN MARTIN | QMI AGENCY

CALGARY – Passing his HIV virus to his unsuspecting new bride was a criminal act, a judge ruled Friday in finding a Calgary man guilty of aggravated sexual assault.

Provincial court Judge Gord Wong said the man, who can’t be named to protect his victim’s identity, withheld his health condition from the woman.

As a result, Wong said the woman’s consent to sexual contact with him was gained through fraud, making it a crime.

Because the offender put the woman’s life at risk, the offence constituted an aggravated sexual assault – a crime that carries a maximum punishment of 14 years.

The 30-year-old Sudanese native met the victim at a party in May 2011.

Within days of their first contact he began talking to her about marriage and they wed in July, Wong noted.

By October, the woman suspected she was with child and went for a pregnancy test.

“Tests were conducted, which confirmed she was pregnant,” Wong noted.

“Unfortunately, those same tests showed that she had been infected by the HIV virus,” he said.

The offender became infected with the life-threatening illness before coming to Canada in 2004 and learned of his condition a year earlier.

(…)

VANCOUVER: Chinese buyers fuelling seismic spike in Vancouver’s luxury housing market, realtors say

A wealthy Chinese immigrant family inspect a villa in the high-class neighboorhood of West Vancouver. Realtors say Asian buyers accounted for roughly 90% of sales of properties costing $5 million and more. Getty Images

 

 

Foreign buyers are fuelling a seismic spike in Vancouver’s luxury housing market, realtors say

 | September 11, 2014 | Last Updated: Sep 11 12:56 PM ET
More from Reuters

VANCOUVER — Chinese investors’ global hunt for prime real estate is helping drive Vancouver home prices to record highs and the city, long among top destinations for wealthy mainland buyers, is feeling the bonanza’s unwelcome side-effects.

(…)

The latest wave of Chinese money, linked in part to Beijing’s anti-graft crackdown, is flowing into luxury hot spots. But it has also started driving up housing costs elsewhere in a city which already ranks as North America’s least affordable urban market.

Happiness is arriving in Vancouver

For decades Vancouver, along with Hong Kong, Sydney and Singapore and more recently New York and London has been attracting Chinese and other Asian buyers.

(…)

“In the last year there’s been the corruption crackdown in China and a lot of people have seen their wealth evaporate over there because of that,” said Dan Scarrow, a vice president at MacDonald Realty.
“So they want to put it somewhere they perceive as safe and there’s nowhere safer than the west.”

My market, the luxury real estate market, is primarily Asian buyers — mostly from mainland China

Andy Yan of Bing Thom Architects found that values for detached homes in the $2-5 million range have risen by 49% since 2009, making it the fastest growing segment in Vancouver’s housing market. Home values in a handful of luxury enclaves in Vancouver’s west climbed more than 50% over  that period, driving city-wide values up more than 35%.

Realtors are saying that more than half of buyers in prime markets are mainland Chinese.

“My market, the luxury real estate market, is primarily Asian buyers — mostly from mainland China,” said realtor Malcolm Hasman, a partner at Angell Hasman and Associates. Hasman said Asian buyers accounted for roughly 90% of sales of properties costing $5 million and more.

The impact of the latest inflow of foreign cash is particularly acute for Vancouver, its market already tight because of limited building space and a decade-long nationwide property bull run fuelled by low borrowing costs.

Condo towers are now built without a fourth floor, as that number is unlucky in Asian cultures, and wok kitchens are standard in most new homes Continue reading

OTTAWA: Deepan Budlakoti fighting for Canadian citizenship

Ottawa man born in Canada loses round in fight for citizenship

 

Jim Bronskill, The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, September 10, 2014 11:06AM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:42PM EDT

OTTAWA — An Ottawa man says he will appeal after losing a round in his court battle for Canadian citizenship.

Deepan Budlakoti was suddenly told by federal officials four years ago that he is not a citizen — even though he was born in Canada and had been issued a birth certificate and a Canadian passport.

The government argues Budlakoti did not automatically become a Canadian at birth in October 1989, as his parents were employed by a foreign diplomat, the Indian high commissioner.

Budlakoti, 24, was ordered out of Canada three years ago due to drug and firearms convictions. He unsuccessfully tried to challenge the order in court.

In December 2012 he completed his sentence and was released into custody of the Canada Border Services Agency. Continue reading

OTTAWA: Minister of State for Multiculturalism Tim Uppal allegedly victim of racist remarks

Josh Elliott, CTVNews.ca 
Published Wednesday, September 10, 2014 7:57AM EDT

Canada’s multiculturalism minister says he and his wife were victims of a racist remark uttered by a player at a tennis court in Ottawa.

(…)

“A woman leaving the tennis court looked at me and my wife and said ‘Are they members? Why can’t they play in the day – they don’t have jobs,’” he tweeted.

Tim Uppal

In this file photo, Minister of State (Multiculturalism) Tim Uppal speaks with the media on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Friday, Feb. 1, 2013. (The Canadian Press / Adrian Wyld)

A number of Twitter users retweeted and replied to the comment, expressing their outrage.

Read more:http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/multiculturalism-minister-target-of-racist-remark-1.1999964#ixzz3Cx47HNvF

TORONTO: Sivakumar Sivagnanam, 63, arrested in sexual assault of 12-year-old girl

News Release header

Broadcast time: 08:34
Friday, August 29, 2014

42 Division
416-808-7474

The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest in a Sexual Assault investigation.

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014, at approximately 10 a.m., a girl, 12, was in her home in the Morningside Avenue and Ellesmere Road area.

It is alleged that:

- she answered a knock at the door

- a man entered the home and sexually assaulted her

Sivakumar Sivagnanam, 63, of Toronto, was arrested. He is charged with: 

1) two counts of Being Unlawfully in a Dwelling 
2) two counts of Sexual Assault 
3) two counts of Sexual Interference 
4) Forcible Confinement 

He appeared in court at 1911 Eglinton Avenue East on Thursday, August 28, 2014, 10 a.m., courtroom 412.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7474, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook. Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World. 

For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.


Constable David Hopkinson, Corporate Communications, for Detective Hunter Smith, Sex Crimes

 

TORONTO: Slovak Roma asylum seeker Janette Ganova claims botched swastikas carved on her back by “two neo-Nazi skinheads”

 

Close-up of the swastikas on refugee claimant Janette Ganova’s back, submitted to the Immigration and Refugee Board.

Who carved two swastikas on Roma refugee’s body?

Would a Czech Roma asylum seeker be so desperate to get accepted in Canada that she’d carve two swastikas in her back to fool a refugee judge?

By:  Immigration reporter, Published on Sun Sep 07 2014

Would a Czech Roma asylum seeker be so desperate to get accepted in Canada that she’d carve two swastikas in her back to fool a refugee judge?

While Janette Ganova said the markings were cut by two neo-Nazi skinheads who kidnapped her in Zatec, Czech Republic, her now-estranged husband allegedly wrote a “poison pen letter” to immigration officials claiming that her injuries were self-inflicted.

After four hearings that stretched over two years and ended in July, the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) couldn’t determine the culprits who did the crime, but rejected the Toronto woman’s claim because her evidence was inconsistent and there’s enough protection in Czech Republic for Roma. Continue reading

Toronto lawyer Meerai Cho arrested in condo fraud totalling $12.4-million

Police laid 75 charges against Meerai Cho, 63, related to condo fraud totalling $12.4-million in expected losses from deposits on units at 5220 Yonge St.

Toronto lawyer arrested in alleged condo fraud totalling $12.4-million

KAT SIENIUC

The Globe and Mail

Published 

Last updated 

A Toronto lawyer was arrested Tuesday after at least 25 people came forward alleging they paid deposits for a condo in north Toronto, only to learn later that the land had been sold, the developer had fled and their money was gone.

Police laid 75 charges against Meerai Cho, 63, related to condo fraud totalling $12.4-million in expected losses from deposits on units at 5220 Yonge St.

(…)

At a time when construction is booming in Toronto, the alleged fraud calls into question whether strong enough safeguards exist for condo buyers in the city. While real estate lawyers and authorities say a crime of this nature is rare, others say the new-sale market needs more oversight.

“This wasn’t something that somebody met them [victims] down the back alley. This was a condo development, they were dealing with a lawyer at this time, and the purpose of the trust account is to hold the monies in trust, they are not supposed to be moved,” Det. Constable Devereaux said.

The victims’ losses vary from $40,000 to $700,000 in deposits, according to police. Continue reading

TORONTO: Franklin Afrifa arrested in killing of Olatoyebi Waheed; Benard Asante still at large

 

Police are searching for Benard Asante, aka Benard Kissi, 24, of Toronto in connection to a fatal drive-by shooting near Jane and Eglinton earlier this week. Police have arrested Franklin Afrifa, 25, on charges of first-degree murder and attempted murder. He is scheduled to appear in court on Monday. Asante is wanted on the same charges.

Man arrested in fatal drive-by shooting

One man has been arrested and police are still searching for a second in connection to the shooting on Aug. 19, which killed a Toronto man.

By:  Staff Reporter, Published on Sun Aug 24 2014

A man has been arrested and one man is still wanted in connection to a fatal drive-by shooting earlier this week.

EMS was called to the area of Jane St. and Eglinton Ave. W. around 6:45 p.m. on Monday, to what appeared to be a targeted drive-by shooting on a busy North York street.

Olatoyebi Waheed, 24, of Toronto, was killed in the shooting, and a 23-year-old man sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Toronto Police executed two search warrants at residential addresses in Toronto on Sunday.

Franklin Afrifa, 25, of Toronto, was arrested at one of the homes. He faces charges of first-degree murder and attempted murder, and is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.

Police are still searching for Benard Asante, also known as Benard Kissi, 24, of Toronto. He is wanted on the same charges.

Asante is described as black, five feet five inches, and 130 lbs. He has his hair in cornrows. Continue reading

An immigration database