Man was targeted in deadly Eaton Centre shooting
Ahmed Hassan identified as victim who was killed
CBC News Posted: Jun 3, 2012 8:36 AM ET Last Updated: Jun 3, 2012 6:23 PM ET
A shooting at the Toronto Eaton Centre left one man dead on Saturday, June 2, 2012. Seven other people were injured in the shooting and its aftermath. (John Chidley-Hill/Canadian Press)
Toronto police say the shooting that left a man dead and six others wounded in the Eaton Centre food court was a targeted attack and investigators are trying to determine if it was gang-related.
Det. Sgt. Brian Borg told reporters that the shooting was reckless, but not directed at random targets, as Chief Bill Blair had previously said.
“Our investigation clearly suggests that this is a targeted shooting and not a random act of violence against the members of the general public,” Borg said during a Sunday afternoon news conference in Toronto.(…)
Borg said it has not been “definitively determined” if it was a gang-motivated shooting, but police are investigating that possibility.
Det. Sgt. Brian Borg said police are investigating the possibility that the Eaton Centre shooting was gang-related. (CBC)
Borg said Ahmed Hassan, 24, of Toronto, was the man killed in the food court shooting and was known to police. He is believed to be the target of the attack that killed him.
The mall was locked down immediately after the shooting, but Borg said police did not locate any suspects during their search.
While an autopsy has not yet been completed, Borg said the victim was shot “multiple times and was pronounced dead at the scene.”
Police believe that a single individual is responsible for the shooting, though they are not providing further details on that suspect at the moment.
Borg said six other people were wounded in the shooting:
A 25-year-old woman was wounded in her left leg and has been released from hospital.
A 22-year-old man was also wounded in his left leg and also released from hospital.
A 23-year-old man remains in hospital after suffering “multiple gunshot injuries” to his neck and chest.
A 13-year-old boy who was visiting from out of town with his family, was wounded in the head and remains in hospital.
A 30-year-old woman suffered a “gunshot-graze wound” to her abdomen and has been released from hospital.
A 22-year-old woman was wounded in the hand, but left hospital without treatment.
Additionally, a 28-year-old pregnant woman went into labour after being knocked down in the rush to flee the area. However, she was discharged from hospital on Sunday and did not give birth.
With files from The Canadian Press
Article posted in Arab community, Communities, Crime, Crime (type), Crime by ethnicity, Guns/Shooting/Fatal shooting/Prohibited weapon, Non-European crime