Nov 06, 2012 – 8:58 AM
News conference. During a press congerence yesterday at the Delta Meadowvale Hotel & Conference Centre, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney announces that the federal government will accept 25,000 parents and grandparents under its family reunification plan.
The federal government’s scheme to reunify families faster is working, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said yesterday in Mississauga.
“We listened to Canadians who told us the old program with eight-year wait times just didn’t work,” Kenney told a press conference at the Delta Meadowvale Hotel & Conference Centre.
“We expect to reunite up to 35,000 parents and grandparents with their families next year,” the minister said. “This is a significant achievement and the highest number in nearly two decades.”
The Conservative government’s plan for reunifying families, tabled last week, will see 25,000 parents and grandparents admitted to Canada for the second year in a row. That’s a 60 per cent jump since 2010, Kenney said.
The backlog of applications from Canadians seeking to bring their parents and/or grandparents to this country was about 165,000 when the Conservatives took office, the minister said. That number will have been reduced by about 20 per cent by the end of the year, he said.
A new “super visa” program that allows parents and grandparents to visit Canada for up to two years at a time has also proven very popular, Kenney said. Since it started in November 2011, more than 10,000 super visas have been issued.