Mine embroiled in worker controversy back in business
The Canadian Press Posted: Nov 26, 2012 8:16 PM PT Last Updated: Nov 26, 2012 8:14 PM PT
Controversy over Chinese miners in B.C. prompts review
The Dehua mine project was to shut down Sunday night, but apparently might not have to. (David Crigge/Associated Press)
A company embroiled in a controversial temporary foreign-worker program says it plans to be back in operations, just days after it said it was pulling the plug on a coal mining venture in northeastern B.C.
Canadian Dehua International Mines Group said on Saturday that it has decided to wind down work at its Wapiti River coal project, located southeast of Tumbler Ridge, B.C.
The Dehua mine had been in the exploration phase, and the shut-down was to become effective Sunday at midnight.
Dehua also holds a minor stake in the nearby Murray River mine, an operation proposed by HD Mining that’s come under fire and is facing court action for its plans to hire temporary Chinese workers.
But Dehua announced Monday evening that it was changing course, after it had received a request for information on the planned shutdown.
“Dehua would like to inform the public that all efforts are being made to bring the Wapiti River Project back into operation,” stated the company in a media release.
The company said it’s in intensive talks with its investors to explain the court action it’s currently facing, as well as other concerns.
Two unions are pursuing a judicial review of the federal government’s decision to grant HD Mining temporary foreign worker permits for 201 miners from China.
HD Mining has fought back and has filed an appeal of the Federal Court ruling that granted the unions the review