Montreal: Chiheb Battikh charged with kidnapping 3-year-old with intent to obtain ransom and more

The crown contends Chiheb Battikh plotted for weeks to abduct the three-year-old boy.

Man charged with attempted kidnapping in Outremont
Psychiatric evaluation requested by the defence
CBC News Posted: Dec 20, 2012 8:45 AM ET Last Updated: Dec 20, 2012 8:01 PM ET
Alleged attempted kidnapping in Montreal

A psychiatric evaluation has been ordered for a Laval man charged with an alleged attempted child abduction in Montreal’s Outremont borough.

Police say the suspect’s defence asked for the evaluation Thursday afternoon.

Chiheb Battikh, 51, was charged with kidnapping with intent to obtain a ransom, armed assault, assault causing injuries, possessing a prohibited weapon and carrying a concealed weapon.

Prosecutor Sylvie Lemieux said the arrest was made following a statement he made to police.

She said Battikh had been planning the event for weeks.

“It was calculated, he searched the internet to find the ideal victim,” she said.

The man was planning to demand a substantial ransom in exchange for the child’s release, Lemieux said.

Yesterday, at about 4 p.m., police received several 911 calls about a fight in a park on Côte-Sainte-Catherine Road between Outremont Avenue and Wiseman Avenue.

Police said Battikh tried to abduct a 3-year-old boy who was walking with his father in François-Xavier-Garneau park.

It’s a strange case, according to Montreal Police Const. Simon Delorme.

Police said the attacker managed to run a few metres with the child before the father intercepted him with the help of a passerby.

Police took Battikh into custody last night and were still questioning him this morning.

They recovered pepper spray and a stun gun in his car.

Lemieux said Battikh changed the plate on his vehicle to make it more difficult to identify him.

Officers have also searched the neighbourhood and knocked on doors looking for witnesses.
Battikh is due back in court next month.

Random Posts

Loading…