Alta. man charged in 3 random attacks on Vancouver women
CBC News Posted: Dec 8, 2012 2:34 PM PT Last Updated: Dec 8, 2012 5:57 PM PT
Vancouver police say a 35-year-old man has been charged with three counts of attempted murder following random assaults on three women in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside.
Nicholas Osuteye, of Alberta, was arrested near BC Place Stadium on Friday.
He has been charged with three counts of attempted murder and one count each of assault and mischief.
Osuteye remains in police custody. His next court appearance has not yet been scheduled.
Police say all three attacks took place between 9:30 and 10 a.m. PT Friday, and the suspect was arrested wearing only underwear.
All three victims remain in hospital, two in critical condition and the third in serious condition.
Late Saturday, police announced they had contacted the family of a victim who had not previously been identified and confirmed she is an 87-year-old Vancouver woman.
Man in custody following attacks that caused life-threatening or grave injuries to two of the victims
By Tiffany Crawford, The Vancouver Sun December 8, 2012 6:10 PM
This is the police scene at Columbia at Powell in Vancouver, December 7, 2012, where a man went on a rampage allegedly assaulting three women.
Photograph by: Stuart Davis , Vancouver Sun
A 35-year-old Alberta man has been charged with attempted murder after a series of severe attacks on women in downtown Vancouver on Friday.
In a news release Saturday, the Vancouver police said Nicholas Osuteye is charged with three counts of attempted murder and one count each of assault and mischief.
Osuteye remains in custody. His next court appearance has not yet been scheduled.
VPD spokesman Const. Brian Montague said as the case is before the courts and the investigation continues, no further information will be released.
Three women remained in hospital Saturday, two in life-threatening condition and one in serious condition, after a series of attacks on women in downtown Vancouver early Friday.
Police say Osuteye was wearing just his underwear when he was arrested near the 700-block of Pacific Blvd. at about 10 a.m. Friday.
Montague said no motive was apparent and no weapons were involved. Investigators will look into whether Osuteye has any previous mental health issues.
The woman who was injured in the first attack, which took place in the 200-block of Columbia Street around 9:30 a.m. has now been identified. Vancouver police have contacted her family and confirmed she is an 87-year-old Vancouver resident. She remains in hospital in serious condition.
A second woman was assaulted just 20 minutes after the first, around 9:50 a.m. The 79-year-old woman had been walking in the 700-block of Pacific Blvd., behind BC Place near Griffiths Way. She was able to communicate with police, but remains in hospital with injuries more serious than initially believed.
The third woman, a 63-year-old, is considered in “grave condition” and may not survive, Montague said. She was attacked just across the street from the second incident, and the man was apprehended a short time later.
It appears he undressed while en route to Pacific Blvd., Montague said, calling the events “very rare.”
There may have been other incidents as well, including reports that at least one person was accosted Friday morning while sitting in a car.
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Alberta+charged+ancouver+attack+three+women+seriously+injured/7672208/story.html#ixzz2EW7UpHZh