2 men arrested in shooting death of B.C. teen Maple Batalia
CBC News Posted: Dec 1, 2012 11:22 AM PT Last Updated: Dec 1, 2012 4:07 PM PT Facebook
Maple Batalia was an aspiring model and actress. (CBC)
Two men have been arrested in connection with the shooting death of Maple Batalia in Surrey, B.C., last year, the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team announced Saturday.
The 19-year-old was gunned down in a parking lot at SFU’s Surrey campus on Sept. 28, 2011.
In a written statement released Saturday morning, police said the suspects were in custody and charges were pending for both.
Surrey Mayor Dianne Watts says the news of the arrests is bittersweet.
“Well , [there's] certainly a sense of relief. It’s been a very tough case and it’s been extremely hard on the family, and so the sense of relief especially for the family I think is something that’s felt all around,” she said.
“It’s been such a tragedy for the family, for the community. When you’ve lost the life of someone that’s so young and so promising … So the arrests have been made, but you know, we still don’t have her in the community.”
Watts says she’s spoken with Batalia’s family, who have told her they are relieved at the news.
“It’s been extremely difficult for them to lose a child so young and it’s a long journey because there’ll be a trial after that,” Watts said. “So we’re just here to support them and make sure that they’re okay.”
Police are expected to release more information at a press conference at 6 p.m. PT Saturday.
Article posted in Communities, Crime, Guns/Shooting/Fatal shooting/Prohibited weapon, South/Southeast Asian community