The purpose of The Black Experience Project (BEP) is to create the first-ever comprehensive understanding of the diverse communities that make up the region’s Black population through exploring the lived experiences and views that speak to individual and collective strengths, contributions, challenges, opportunities, capacity and resiliency. Continue reading →
VAUGHAN, Ontario – More than 60 people have been swindled out of thousands of dollars in a diverted mail delivery scheme, according to police.
Canada Post investigators alerted police that mail was going to a post office box instead of the intended recipients. Police believe a significant portion of the diverted mail contained credit cards.
York Regional Police and Canada Post said they were able to determine who was receiving the mail and executed a search warrant on Dec. 3 at a home in Vaughan, Ont., north of Toronto.
Police found cash, gift cards, pre-paid credit cards and fraudulently obtained goods.
“The credit card companies are taking the losses, but the hardship for these people will be getting their credit rating repaired,” Const. Andy Pattenden said.
“Police would like to remind people as we approach the holiday season to take extra care to check your credit card statements and make sure all the purchases are correct,” Pattenden said.
“Keeping informed on what is on your credit report and credit score can help spot early signs of identity theft.”
Free services such as Equifax and TransUnion can track a person’s credit report, he said.
Pattenden also cautioned people about buying online discounted gift cards.
“If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is,” Pattenden said.
Prince Imalenowa, 35, of Vaughan has been charged with redirect mail, defraud the public under $5,000 and fraud over $5,000.
MONTREAL – Quebec provincial police say they’ve arrested a man on terrorism-related charges.Police say Nejib Belhaj-Chtioui was the subject of an outstanding warrant and was arrested Sunday at Montreal’s Pierre Elliott Trudeau airport upon returning from Tunisia.Belhaj-Chtioui is expected to appear in court in Montreal this afternoon.
Authorities say he will face two charges relating to the terrorism hoax section of the Criminal Code — conveying information and committing an act to cause reasonable concern that it is connected to a terrorist activity.
The investigation was conducted by a provincial police unit that probes extremist threats. Continue reading →
On the same weekend Canadians marked the 25th anniversary of the Montreal Massacre, in which 14 women were murdered, Ottawans were informed of the identity of yet another woman’s death at the hands of a man.
Alem Haile was found stabbed to death in the basement of her Gloucester home early Thursday morning. Police also found the hanged body of her husband, Yassin Mender, in the house. Investigators described the deaths as murder-suicide — the city’s seventh homicide of the year. The couple, aged 51 and 60, respectively, had three children. Continue reading →
The Ottawa police Major Crime Section confirmed Saturday night that the deaths in Beaconwood Village on Thursday morning that left three children without parents were a murder-suicide.
Police identified Alem Haile, 51, as the victim of Ottawa’s seventh homicide of 2014.
The body of Yassin Mender, 60, the husband of the victim, was also found at the scene, but foul play was not suspected in his death.
Police and paramedics were called to a townhouse at 2022 Beaconwood Dr. in a Minto-run rental neighbourhood Thursday around 6:30 a.m. after 16-year-old Ben Mender discovered his parents’ bodies in the family home. His mother had been stabbed to death and the person responsible, his father, was found hanging. Continue reading →
TORONTO – Investigators now confirm the man who fell to his death on the DVP over the weekend is the husband and father of the woman and two young boys found slain in their Toronto apartment hours later.
Toronto Police say the manfell from the Millwood Bridge onto the southbound lanes of the Don Valley Parkway shortly after 1 p.m. Saturday and was struck by a Toyota Prius.
“The man suffered fatal injuries and died at the scene,” Const. Clint Stibbe said in a statement released Wednesday.
Several hours after the man fell to his death, investigators went to notify his next-of-kin at a highrise.
Zahra Abdille, 43, and her two sons, Faris, 13, and Zain, 8, were found murdered inside the family’s third-floor apartment.
The dead man has now been identified as Yusuf Osman Abdille, 50, of Toronto.
“His involvement in the homicides is still being investigated,” Stribbe said.
Zahra Abdille, found dead with her two sons on Saturday, had fled a violent relationship and stayed in a safe house with her two young children last year, according to the executive director of Dr. Roz’s Healing Place.
A slain Toronto nurse fled a violent relationship to stay with her two young sons in a safe house while she tried to gain custody of her children last year, according to abused women’s centre Dr. Roz’s Healing Place.
On Saturday afternoon, Zahra Abdille, 43, and her sons, Faris, 13, and Zain, 8, were found dead in the same East York apartment they ran from last July, the centre’s executive director Roz Roach told the Star Tuesday.
Roach said the family stayed in the centre’s shelter for three weeks while Abdille battled for the custody of her children.
During her stay at the centre, the Toronto Public Health nurse went to court twice to fight for custody, but Abdille did not qualify for legal aid and could not afford a lawyer, Roach said.
When Abdille and her sons arrived at the centre on July 10, she told staff she was running away from a long-term violent relationship, Roach, who has a PhD in health and human sciences, said.
Abdille had escaped war-torn Somalia and arrived into Toronto in the late 1990s.She had no family in Canada, Roach said.
Roach says Abdille’s file Dr. Roz’s Healing Place states that she met her partner in 1997 and the couple married a year later in Toronto. Continue reading →