Category Archives: Arab community

MONTREAL: Tunisian Nejib Belhaf-Chtioui arrested for terrorist-related comments

http://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2014/12/08/quebec-police-make-terrorism-related-arrest/#.VIXwCzHF-dS

MONTREAL – Quebec provincial police say they’ve arrested a man on terrorism-related charges.Police say Nejib Belhaj-Chtioui was the subject of an outstanding warrant and was arrested Sunday at Montreal’s Pierre Elliott Trudeau airport upon returning from Tunisia.Belhaj-Chtioui is expected to appear in court in Montreal this afternoon.

Authorities say he will face two charges relating to the terrorism hoax section of the Criminal Code — conveying information and committing an act to cause reasonable concern that it is connected to a terrorist activity.

The investigation was conducted by a provincial police unit that probes extremist threats. Continue reading

Hassan Diab can now be extradited to France

Hassan Diab loses Supreme Court bid to halt extradition to France

CBC News Posted: Nov 13, 2014 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Nov 13, 2014 12:12 PM ET

An Ottawa university instructor has lost his bid to have the Supreme Court hear his appeal on his extradition to France, where he’s a suspect in a deadly bombing.

 French authorities allege Hassan Diab was a member of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine. They also claim he took part in the 1980 bombing of a Paris synagogue that killed four people and injured more than 40 others.

Diab, a Canadian citizen, has repeatedly denied the allegations. He and his legal team appealed an extradition order over what they describe as crucial questions about the use of untested intelligence in a criminal prosecution.

In arguments filed with the Supreme Court, lawyers for the sociology instructor say France’s reliance on secret information raises fundamental issues of constitutionality and procedural fairness.

But the country’s top court refused Thursday to hear the application and dismissed the appeal without costs. As is usual in applications for leave to appeal, the court did not give reasons for its decision.

The decision means Diab can now be extradited to France. Continue reading

CALGARY: Anya Sass can bring her Syrian husband to Canada

CBC News Posted: Nov 06, 2014 10:02 AM MT Last Updated: Nov 06, 2014 10:03 AM MT

A Calgary woman living in Syria says she is thrilled she can finally bring her husband home with her to Canada.

Anya Sass married Syrian-born Habib Alibrahim​ while travelling in the Middle East three years ago.

As violence escalated in Syria, the couple tried to get out of Damascus but was told his visa application would take two years to process.

But this week she received an email that it had been approved after only seven months.

“We feel a big big relief, like a big weight off our shoulders,” she said.

“It’s kind of caught us a bit off guard, and we are going back in the middle of winter. And I guess we will kind of arrive there and work out the details once we get there.”

Sass says they hope to be in Calgary by Christmas.

OTTAWA: Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, killer of Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, was not on RCMP watchlist

Michael Zehaf-Bibeau wasn’t on RCMP terror watchlist 

QMI AGENCY

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

OTTAWA - The man who shot and killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo at the National War Memorial in Ottawa before being gunned down in Parliament’s Centre Block was not one of the 90 radicalized Canadians on an RCMP watchlist, Mounties revealed Thursday.

RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson said Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, 32, “was an individual who may have had extremist beliefs.”

His e-mail was found on a hard drive belonging to someone who’s been arrested for terror-related activities.


 

Born in Montreal, he later lived in Calgary and Vancouver, then went to Ottawa on Oct. 2 to deal with an issue regarding his passport application, Paulson said. Police believe he was hoping to travel to Syria from Ottawa. Continue reading

OTTAWA: Cpl. Nathan Frank Cirillo fatally shot in terrorist attack

Cpl. Nathan Cirillo of Hamilton identified as soldier gunned down in Ottawa attack

Cirillo was standing guard at the National War Memorial when witnesses say he was shot at point-blank range. An assailant was later killed.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Reddit this!

At least 30 shots are fired inside the main building of Canada’s Parliament Hill, after a gunman shot and killed a soldier at the Canadian War Memorial in Ottawa.

 By:  Ottawa Bureau reporter,  Ottawa Bureau reporter, Published on Wed Oct 22 2014

OTTAWA — The Canadian soldier who was shot and killed as he stood guard on a bright and chilly morning at the National War Memorial is identified as Cpl. Nathan Frank Cirillo, family and military sources say.

A Parliament Hill security guard was wounded in the chaotic attack Wednesday just before 10 a.m. in the nation’s capital that police believe involved more than one assailant.

Cirillo, of Hamilton, was one of two Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada reservists standing guard in front of the monument when a gunman opened fire Wednesday morning. The shooter was killed inside the Parliament buildings after firing at least 20 shots.

Ottawa police would not confirm a CBS News report that has identified the dead shooter as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau. A high-ranking federal officer confirmed his identity to The Canadian Press. He was born in 1982 and is believed to be Canadian, the American news outlet reported, quoting U.S. officials. Continue reading

CALGARY: Fariborz Birjandian, head of Calgary Catholic Immigration society, thinks Canada should take in more Syrian refugees

October 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Refugee families now call Calgary home thanks to local help

By  and   Global News

It’s been a year since Fadi Yacoub and his family fled from war-torn Syria to Lebanon.

Once in Lebanon they applied for refugee status, and a year later Calgary is their home.

Yacoub says the year-long wait was well worth it.

“I’m happy that I’m here,” he says. “I want a good future for my kids; it’s been four years that they didn’t go to school. “

There are currently more than three million Syrian refugees in the world, a number that climbs daily.

Yacoub’s wife, Ralda, knows how lucky her family is.

Canada, I heard from a lot of people that it’s a safe place, “says Ralda. “Thank god now that I’m here, I feel like my life is back again.”

While the family is grateful, the transition from Syria to Canada has had its challenges. Their daughter Perla is still adjusting to life in Calgary. Continue reading

ETOBICOKE: Zaid Yousif killed in targeted shooting, police said

Victim’s mother says he went to watch fight, ended up being shot and killed

CBC News Posted: Oct 07, 2014 2:37 PM ET Last Updated: Oct 07, 2014 7:02 PM ET

Things were looking good for Zaid Yousif.

He had just turned 17 last Friday and been given a BMW to drive. That followed a recent trip to Europe to visit family.

Yousif was in his last year of high school and holding down a part-time job at Canadian Tire, saving up money for the future.

“Zaid was on the road to success,” his friend Munir Andreyos said in an interview with CBC News on Tuesday.

But days after his birthday, Yousif, a student at Don Bosco Catholic Secondary School, was dead. The teenager was one of two high-school students shot dead in northwest Toronto in a shocking double homicide on Monday.

Ziad YousifZaid Yousif, 17, was shot dead in northwest Toronto on Monday afternoon. (Yousif family)

Toronto police said the shooting that killed Yousif and a student from James Cardinal McGuigan Catholic High School was targeted.

But Yousif’s mother, Jina Samouie, told CBC News on Tuesday that police had told her Yousif had gone to watch a fight and attempted to flee when guns came out.

“They said in the newspaper … they killed him, like, not by accident, but this is not right,” she said.

Andreyos said that Yousif wasn’t someone who went looking for a fight.

“He wasn’t a bully, he was nothing like that,” he said. Continue reading

ETOBICOKE: Zaid Yousif and Michael Menjivar killed in fatal shooting

Zaid Yousif, 17, and Michael Menjivar, 15, shot and killed

CBC News Posted: Oct 07, 2014 8:06 AM ET Last Updated: Oct 07, 2014 4:08 PM ET

The two young males who died in a shooting near a school in northwest Toronto yesterday afternoon were high school students, a school board official confirmed today.

Friends and family have identified the slain Don Bosco Catholic Secondary School student as Zaid Yousif, 17. Friends of the second victim identified him as Michael Menjivar, 15, a student at James Cardinal McGuigan Catholic High School.

The shooting Monday happened behind an apartment building near two schools, in the area of Dixon Road and Islington Avenue, just after 12:30 p.m. ET. Both schools were put into either lockdown, or hold and secure mode. Continue reading

HALIFAX: Shia-Muslim family claims will be persecuted if deported to Iran

Halifax family could be deported to country they’ve never visited

Federal Court of Canada hears unusual refugee case

By Richard Cuthbertson, CBC News Posted: Sep 10, 2014 5:28 PM AT Last Updated: Sep 10, 2014 5:28 PM AT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/halifax-family-could-be-deported-to-country-they-ve-never-visited-1.2762152

A family living in Halifax is fighting to stay in Canada as refugees. They say they fear they will be deported to Iran, a country they’ve never visited. (CBC)

A family living in Halifax is facing deportation after their refugee claim was rejected earlier this year — but in an unusual twist, they could be sent to a country they’ve never even visited.

Abbas Gholami, his wife Fatemeh Naserian Mochadam, and their five children arrived in Canada a couple of years ago. All family members were born and lived in Kuwait. However, due to family ties they are citizens of Iran.

They say they left Kuwait after years of threatening phone calls from two of Mochadam’s cousins, according to documents filed in the Federal Court of Canada. Mochadam is of Arab descent and says her 1995 marriage to her husband, who is Persian, was viewed as shameful by some relatives who threatened to kill them.

But in February, an Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada tribunal rejected the family’s refugee claim. The Gholamis now face removal from Canada — not to Kuwait, but to Iran, where none of them have lived or visited.

The family is fighting the tribunal’s decision. At a Federal Court hearing in Halifax on Wednesday, the Gholamis’ lawyer argued the family could face persecution if they are sent to Iran.

Scott McGirr says the family identifies as Arab and can’t even speak Farsi, the language of Iran. Arabs, he argues, are discriminated against in Iran.

“Arabs in Iran run a very real risk of persecution,” McGirr told the court.

A federal government lawyer acknowledged this is a “bit of an unusual case,” but argued Wednesday the court should uphold the tribunal’s finding that the Gholamis aren’t refugees.

Government lawyer Patricia MacPhee questioned the veracity of claims by the Gholamis that they faced years of harassment from Mochadam’s cousins. She says the tribunal did not believe the threatening phone calls would have lasted nearly two decades.

She notes that while the family may consider itself Arab, they are also Shia Muslims, the dominant religion in Iran. There is no evidence, MacPhee says, the family would face persecution.

(…)

An immigration database