Category Archives: Jewish community

Author Erna Paris calls Canada “mean-minded” toward refugees

Canadian mean-mindedness is back

ERNA PARIS

Special to The Globe and Mail

Published 

Last updated 

A new edition of Erna Paris’s book From Tolerance to Tyranny: A Cautionary Tale from Fifteenth-Century Spain will be published in January.

In 1979 and 1980, the government of Canada admitted 50,000 Vietnamese refugees. Ordinary Canadians were invited to participate in the boat people program. My parents and our extended relatives and friends raised enough money to sponsor a family. They were diligent workers: Before long, they were driving a better car than we were.

We did this because we remembered that a meaner Canada had refused entry to a shipload of desperate Jewish refugees from Nazism 40 years before.

That prewar mean-mindedness is back. Canada’s refugee determination system needed updating, but the Harper government has gone much too far. It has been accused of breaching international law, breaching the Constitution, and – just as important – breaching the values Canadians have defined themselves by.

Some recent examples: Last month, a 65-year-old Pakistani woman who fled to Canada because she had been accused of adultery and faced death by stoning was deported. She had appealed to the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, which advised Ottawa to delay the deportation until it could review her case under the UN Convention Against Torture, which Canada signed in 1985.

According to Amnesty International, our government’s patent disregard for international law will weaken its claim to be a global defender of human rights.

In July, Justice Anne MacTavish of the Federal Court ruled that the government’s cuts to health care for failed refugee claimants constituted “cruel and unusual treatment.” Denying health care puts the lives of vulnerable people at risk in a manner that “outrages our standards of decency” and is unconstitutional, she wrote. Clearly piqued, the Harper government announced this week that it would appeal the judge’s decision. It also asked the appeal court to delay enforcement of the order to resume health care until the appeal had been heard. That could be months. Continue reading

TORONTO: Paedophile Ryan Belbin convicted of abducting, assaulting 4-year-old Jewish girl

Man convicted of abducting, assaulting 4-year-old girl
BY , TORONTO SUN

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

Ryan Belbin

Ryan Belbin. (TORONTO POLICE PHOTO)

TORONTO - A man who snuck into an unlocked home, abducted a four-year-old girl from her bed and sexually assaulted her on Boxing Day 2011, was found guilty of all charges Thursday.

Ryan Belbin — who had no prior criminal convictions — snatched the sleeping girl at 3 a.m., stripped her naked and was “hunkering over” the child in a North York backyard when the panicked victim’s father discovered the horrifying sight, Justice Nola Garton said in a written judgment.

Belbin, 30, will be sentenced for breaking and entering, abduction of a minor, sexual assault and sexual interference on Nov. 27.

Garton found that the alternative suspects suggested by defence lawyer Jennifer Penman — the victim’s father and another neighbour — weren’t the culprits and Crown attorney Sheila Cressman proved Belbin was the offender.

(…)

The judge found that Belbin stopped his attack when the victim’s father screamed. Belbin then sprinted eastbound in the Bathurst-Wilson area.

The hysterical father cradled his child in his arms and returned to his parents’ home — where the family was visiting from Connecticut.

Belbin’s DNA was found on the victim’s pyjamas but it couldn’t be determined what “particular bodily fluid was the source,” said Garton.

Penman argued that Belbin’s DNA — either from spit or urine on the ground — could have been innocently transferred on to the clothing during the assault.

Belbin, who lived in close proximity to the victim’s relatives, delivered newspapers in the area until two weeks before the incident.

___________

http://www.cireport.ca/2011/12/4-year-old-jewish-girl-released-from-hospital-after-being-raped.html

NORTH YORK: RAPED 4-YEAR-OLD JEWISH GIRL RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL

4-year-old sexual assault victim released from hospital
Published 1 hour 16 minutes ago
Josh Tapper

Staff Reporter

A 4-year-old girl abducted from a north Toronto home and sexually assaulted was released from hospital on Tuesday.

The girl, who was visiting with family from Connecticut, was abducted early Monday morning from her grandparents’ home on Charleswood Dr., near Bathurst St. and Wilson Ave. While police released few details on the kidnapping or assault, a woman who identified herself as the girl’s grandmother said the ordeal “had a happy ending,” referring to her granddaughter’s discharge from hospital.

“By the grace of God,” she said, standing inside her doorway Tuesday morning.

As a cold rain drizzled outside, neighbours visited the house, which belongs to an orthodox Jewish family.

Police said a man grabbed the girl between 3 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. Monday. Family discovered the girl a short distance from the house “within minutes of the abduction and saw a man fleeing the scene,” police said.

Police did not confirm a sexual assault occurred until Monday evening.

The suspect is described as a white man, 19 or 20 years old, with an average build, between 5-foot-6 and 5-foot-10. He was last seen wearing a blue jacket or sweatshirt, dark sweatpants or jeans and striped, bluish toque.

(…)

Monkland Village, MONTREAL: Alleged hate crime targeting Jewish, Chinese and Vietnamese businesses

Posted on 10/1/2014 11:53:00 AM by Patrick Lejtenyi

Photo by Patrick Lejtenyi

Merchants in the Monkland Village are wondering if they’ve been the target of a possible hate crime.

Following an early morning fire on Friday, the Jewish owner of dog grooming salon discovered three swastikas and a pentagram spray painted in the hallway connecting his store to those of his neighbours — one of the owners is Chinese, the other Vietnamese.

Kobi Ben-Jacob says he only discovered the swastikas on Monday morning after he dealt with the smoke and water damage from the fire on Friday — the second day of Rosh Hashanah.

He still doesn’t know if the fire and graffiti are connected, or even if the spray-painted symbols should be constitute an actual hate crime.

“Obviously it’s upsetting, but it’s very hard to determine whether it was done by a bunch of kids who were playing around and be foolish, or whether it was done as a hate crime,” he says. “It shouldn’t be taken lightly, but it’s hard to say whether it’s a hate crime or a crime of opportunity.”

He says the Monkland Village is a safe, multi-cultural family neighbourhood, and that he has never experienced any hate crimes there before.

QUEBEC: Education Without Borders hoping taxpayers pay $30 million per year for illegal children’s education

Children of illegal immigrants should have In 1971, Ruth and Cecil Hershler began what has evolved into a lasting relationship with Fezeka Senior Secondary; an association that led to the creation of Education without Borders 31 years later. Feeling unable to continue living a life of privilege in apartheid South Africa, they made the decision to immigrate to Canada. access to school, say advocates
CTV Montreal
Published Monday, August 25, 2014 7:54PM EDT
Last Updated Monday, August 25, 2014 9:41PM EDT

An organization defending the rights of illegal immigrants is speaking out about access to free education for children.

The group Education Without Borders said Monday that as many as 5,000 children in Quebec are likely to be unable to attend school because of their parent’s current status as illegal immigrants.

The group said parents awaiting deportation because their refugee claim has been denied, or because their visa has expired are not allowed to send their children to Quebec schools unless they pay up.

It costs up to $6,000 a year per child, which is a sum most illegal immigrants – some of which are refugee claimants or asylum seekers – can’t afford.

(…)

Read more: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/children-of-illegal-immigrants-should-have-access-to-school-say-advocates-1.1976093#ixzz3Bvhz11z4

_______________

In 1971, Ruth and Cecil Hershler began what has evolved into a lasting relationship with Fezeka Senior Secondary; an association that led to the creation of Education without Borders 31 years later.

Feeling unable to continue living a life of privilege in apartheid South Africa, they made the decision to immigrate to Canada. Continue reading

MONTREAL: Jewish tourist punched in the face

CTV Montreal
Published Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:23PM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, July 23, 2014 8:11PM EDT

Montreal police are investigating a possible hate crime in which a Jewish man was punched in the face in Snowdon on Monday.

The alleged assault is just one of seven reported cases of anti-Semitism in Montreal since last weekend, a direct effect of growing tensions arising from increased violence between Israel and Gaza.

(…)

A French tourist, the man, who does not want to be identified because he fears for his safety, said he was walking out of a kosher restaurant on Queen Mary Rd Monday, talking to his sister about Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, when two men approached them in front of the Pharmaprix drug store.

One of the men punched him.  Continue reading

Protests against Israeli military action in Gaza held in major Canadian cities

Photo: Shannon Kelly/CTV Montreal

Hundreds of Canadians protested Israeli military action in Gaza Saturday with demonstrations held in some of Canada’s major cities.

The protests were on the second day of an Israeli ground offensive that saw the death toll in Gaza top 330 people.

In Montreal, several hundred people marched through the streets in the city’s north end to denounce the attacks.

Jaoudat Abouazza, who emigrated from the West Bank in 1977 and still has family throughout the region, said it’s been harrowing watching the tragedy unfold. Continue reading

CALGARY: Israeli–Palestinian conflict brought into Canadian streets

July 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Tensions flare at Calgary protest over conflict in Gaza Strip

By   Global News

CALGARY- A protest in downtown Calgary about the conflict in the Gaza Stripturned violent on Friday.

Around 6 p.m., hundreds of people gathered in front of City Hall in support of Palestinians who have been killed by Israeli fire in Gaza. However, a handful of Israeli supporters showed up, and a confrontation broke out.

Some men began pushing and shoving, and one man even stomped on an Israeli flag.

That prompted police to get involved, and a line of police officers set up across Macleod Trail to try and ease tensions.

As a result, all four lanes of Macleod Trail near Olympic Plaza were shut down.

(…)

Infant circumcision evangelist Dr. Neil Pollock ready to train Haitians to circumcise their male-infants

Vancouver doctor will train physicians in Haiti in circumcision

Friday 04th, April 2014 Written by 

in World
Vancouver doctor will train physicians in Haiti in circumcision
  

Dr. Neil Pollock instructs a team of surgeons in Rwanda on carrying out his technique of circumcision. (photo from Dr. Neil Pollock)

Dr. Neil Pollock specializes in circumcision, from newborn to adult, and adult vasectomy. As a leading expert in circumcision, he has traveled around the world to train physicians and, this summer, he will head to Port-au-Prince, Haiti, to teach a team of doctors in medical newborn and infant circumcision.

“After carrying out 50,000 infant circumcisions and traveling recently to Turkey, China and Africa to exchange ideas, I have evolved my technique to make it applicable to infants, children, teenagers and adults,” Pollock told the Independent in a recent interview. “I have developed a technique to do circumcision in this older age group under local anesthetic without using sutures and using, instead, a cyanocrylate skin glue that closes the wound. Being able to do the procedure under local anesthetic and with skin glue instead of a general anesthetic in hospital provides for a much simpler, easier, quicker, safer and improved cosmetic outcome for patients.” Continue reading

Jewish groups want immigration reform

Jewish Groups Support Canadian Immigration Reform

C-24 bill could tighten immigration restrictions, bring to justice immigration fraud cases and prevent terrorism, supporters say.

In early February, Canada’s Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Chris Alexander, presented Bill C-24, which is supposed to bring about fundamental change in the immigration process.

The bill, which is designed to reduce immigration fraud, was brought to parliament for approval this week. According to the proposal, permanent residents of Canada will be required to stay at least four full years within a period of six years (instead of three of the four) and at least 183 days in each year. The language requirements (English / French proficiency) would be more rigorous, immigrants ages 14-64 would be subject to language tests (vs. 18-54), and the citizenship test would be comprehensive and more rigorous.  Continue reading

Montreal: La Ronde amusement park implements religious accommodations for Jews and Muslims

La Ronde : Un accommodement raisonnable qui déplaît à certains

montreal.radionrj.ca
Affiché par: François Coulombe-Giguère fcoulombegiguere@astral.com · 2013-07-17 07:45:00

Des habitués de La Ronde sont outrés que les juifs et les musulmans puissent entrer sur le site avec leurs lunchs, alors que c’est interdit pour les autres.

Une journaliste du Journal de Montréal a fait le test avec un voile et on l’a laissé entrer avec son lunch. On appose alors un collant “autorisation médicale”.

Selon des témoignages, ce serait toléré car il n’y a pas de mets casher et halal dans les restaurants du parc d’attraction.

La direction de La Ronde se contente de répondre que tous les clients peuvent apporter leurs lunchs et le consommer dans les aires réservées.

________

CIR :

Some La Ronde fans are shocked to discover that outside food is now banned from the amusement park, except for Jewish and Muslim visitors.

A reporter from Journal de Montreal wore a headscarf and had no trouble bringing her lunch into the park after La Ronde staff  labelled it with a “medical authorization” sticker.  According to reports, these exceptions are being made due to a lack of Kosher and Halal food in the park’s concessions.

La Ronde officials maintain that all visitors are permitted to bring outside food and enjoy their meals in dedicated eating spaces.

 

This  petition is on Facebook on the page of Fédération Québécois Souche .

http://www.petitions24.net/un_lunch_a_la_ronde

Bonjour à tous. J’ai mis en ligne cette pétition suite à un article que j’ai lu sur des accommodements raisonnables pour les juifs et les musulmans à La Ronde. (voir le lien en bas de page) La Ronde à une politique qui empêche les gens d’entrée sur le site avec un lunch. Tous les sacs sont fouillés pour qu’aucune nourriture n’entre sur le site. Par contre, avec cet “accommodement”, les juifs et les musulmans peuvent amener leur lunch sans problèmes. Cette pétition à pour but l’égalité, peu importe la religion. La Ronde se doit de révoquer cet “accommodement”. Il n’y a que 2 solutions possibles: 1) Obliger TOUS les gens à manger à l’extérieur du parc (telle est la situation actuelle de la plupart des clients de la ronde) ou autoriser TOUS les gens à amener un lunch sur le site. Autrement que ses 2 solutions, c’est de la discrimination, point à la ligne. Signons cette pétition pour que ca change, pour que ce soit égal pour TOUS!!!

http://montreal.radionrj.ca/info-nrj/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10568480

Lorsqu’un bon nombre de personne auront signé la pétition, je la ferai parvenir au parc d’attraction La Ronde, et à Six Flags.

 

UPDATE

La Ronde has reversed the decision and allows  all visitors to bring their own food.