Category Archives: Latino community

MONTREAL: Haitians and Latinos involved in early morning St-Michel shooting

Police find last suspect in early morning St-Michel shooting

Published on: Last Updated: 

Pie IX Blvd. has reopened to traffic following an overnight investigation into an exchange of gunfire between police and five suspect shortly after 1 a.m. in Montreal’s St-Michel borough.

Police had been looking for a man after being called to an area of Montreal’s St-Michel borough after shots were heard near Pie IX Blvd and 47th avenue shortly after 1 a.m.

According to SPVM spokesman Simon Delorme, police found a vehicle occupied by five men when they arrived on the scene, but the men fled by foot.

While chasing the suspects, a shot was fired towards the officers and police responded with more shots, Delorme said.

Four of the suspects were arrested shortly after the exchange, but one remained on the run until shortly before 8 a.m.

No one was injured during this operation.

Authorities were able to catch the last suspect with the help of the Sûreté du Québec’s helicopters and the members of the tactical team.

Police nabbed him in the industrial sector of St-Michel after combing through a security perimeter between Pie IX Blvd., Des Grandes Prairies Blvd., the Miron quarry and Robert Blvd.

Delorme said there is reason to believe the men, who are all between 25 and 29 years old, are involved in street gangs.

The investigation continues in the industrial park as authorities look for evidence in the case.

_________

http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/societe/archives/2014/11/20141102-040706.html

Les suspects d’origine latino-américaine et haïtienne sont vraisemblablement liés aux gangs de rue, selon la police.

http://journalmetro.com/actualites/montreal/586830/coups-de-feu-vers-des-policiers-suspect-arrete/

 

Domestic violence acceptable reason to keep Mexican woman in Canada

Mexican woman in Montreal facing deportation to remain in Canada

CBCCBC – Sun, 24 Aug, 2014

(…)

Citizenship and Immigration Canada has stayed Sheila Sedinger Ayala’s removal order.

“It feels amazing,” Sedinger Ayala told CBC news. “Now I can concentrate on celebrating my daughter’s birthday which is this Saturday, the day I was going to be deported.”

Sedinger Ayala, 27, was initially ordered to be deported back to Mexico after her refugee claim sponsor  — her husband — was convicted of a criminal offence.

Her two Canadian-born children would  have stayed behind in Canada if the deportation went ahead.

(…)

The decision comes one day after an immigrant rights group hosted a news conference for Sedinger Ayala on Sunday.

With her fiancé by her side, Sedinger Ayala sobbed while she explained what had happened to her and why she should be granted temporary residency to allow her to stay in Canada while she sorts out her affairs.

Sedinger Ayala said she moved to Montreal from Mexico City in 2005, fleeing from a violent ex-boyfriend.

She had one child within a year of arriving in Canada — a product of gang rape while in Mexico, said Sedinger Ayala’s lawyer Angela Potvin.

She later met and married a man in Montreal with whom she had another child. She said he sponsored her bid for permanent residency and in 2008, the federal and provincial governments accepted her sponsorship application.

However, Potvin said the sponsor was found guilty of physical assault during the course of Sedinger Ayala’s sponsorship application, which in turn made him ineligible to sponsor her. She said the conviction cancelled her permanent residency bid.

TORONTO: Entire Cuban family gets sponsored, CIC expected to take measures

Wife fights to keep sponsored hubby’s family out of Canada

michele-mandel

BY  ,TORONTO SUN

FIRST POSTED: 

TORONTO — Deborah Parsons thought she had secured love and a happy future when she sponsored her new Cuban husband to Canada nine years ago.

Instead, she brought home violence, debt and a now-convicted domestic abuser intent on bringing the rest of his family to his new country. And despite her repeated warnings to the immigration department about her husband’s past since coming to Canada, they won’t tell her what they are doing to ensure members of his family are not allowed to come here as well.

“Now that the veil of control and abuse has lifted, my hindsight has become quite clear,” Parsons, 45, wrote in a letter to Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander. “I was only used for sponsorship, then required to be the bread winner, a maid, a chef, a laundress, a secretary, an employment agency and a charity organization.” Continue reading

MONTREAL: 78-old Julia Hidalgo-Aguilera wants to keep her to-be-deported son in Canada as primary caregiver

Ailing Montreal mother pleads for delay in son’s deportation

Mother and son plead for immigration leniencyHector Reyes-Hidalgo came to Canada four years ago to care for his ailing mother, Julia Hidalgo-Aguilera, who has ALS. But Hector is facing deportation to his native Chile if Immigration Canada doesn’t grant him a reprieve.
CTV Montreal
Published Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:28PM EDT
Last Updated Sunday, July 27, 2014 6:57PM EDT

It’s a desperate plea to Immigration Canada from a woman dying of ALS and her son.

Julia Hidalgo-Aguilera, 78, has lost most of the use of her legs and says her arms are growing weaker.

Her son Hector Reyes-Hidalgo came from Chile four years ago to care for her.

He’s her only family member in Canada and her primary caregiver, but he is set to be deported back to his home country Tuesday.

They’re making an appeal on compassionate grounds to delay his deportation next week.

Even the most basic tasks are almost impossible for Hidalgo-Aguilera — she has difficulty swallowing, moving and sometimes breathing.

Immigration Canada accepted a request for Hidalgo-Aguilera to sponsor her son’s immigration, but Reyes-Hidalgo was rejected in his bid to obtain a Quebec Selection Certificate, which he needs if he wants to live in Quebec.

So next week, he faces deportation.

“I’m thinking of my mother more than of me. I’m hoping for a solution soon,” he said.

Reyes-Hidalgo can contest Immigration Quebec’s decision in October, but without a stay of deportation from Immigration Canada, he won’t have a chance to plead his case.

That could prove to be devastating for his mother physically, emotionally and financially.

“I help pay the rent and pay a lot of things to maintain the house,” he said.

Letters of support have been written by doctors and politicians, including the leader of the official opposition Thomas Mulcair.

(…)

Read more: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/ailing-montreal-mother-pleads-for-delay-in-son-s-deportation-1.1934471#ixzz38izfKlKW

__________

http://www.cpa.ca/cpasite/userfiles/documents/practice_page/burden_neuro_diseases_en.pdf

http://www.als.ca/sites/default/files/files/HealthcareProviders/Guide%20to%20ALS%20Patient%20Care.pdf

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/80/1_MeetingAbstracts/P07.065

 

Mexican dolphin trainer Jahir Salas Vargas pleads guilty to possessing child pornography

Dolphin trainer gets 13 months for child porn 
TARA BOWIE, QMI AGENCY

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

Jahir Salas Vargas

Jahir Salas Vargas pleaded guilty to possessing child pornography on Tuesday. (Facebook photo)

WOODSTOCK, Ont. — A Mexican dolphin trainer who was in Canada on a one-year work visa was sentenced to 13 months and 19 days of jail time for possessing and making available graphic movies of child pornography through his computer.

Jahir Salas Vargas was arrested by Ontario Provincial Police on Oct. 9, 2013, when police executed a warrant at an Ingersoll, Ont., home where he was staying.

Police found 1,091 unique images and 83 unique movies featuring child pornography on a thumb drive and computers registered to Salas Vargas.

In September 2012 he received a one-year work visa to work with marine mammals at the West Edmonton Mall before moving temporarily to Ingersoll to house-sit a home owned by relatives.

(…)

Salas Vargas also had to provide DNA and is now listed on the sex offender registry.

CBSA doesn’t deserve blame for in-custody death of Mexican national

By Brent Stafford, The Duel

Columnists Laila Yuile and Brent Stafford battle over the issues of the day. The winner of last week’s duel on the transit referendum was Laila with 64%.

This week’s topic: Should the Canadian Border Services Agency be held responsible for the death of Lucia Vega Jimenez?


Last Friday night, outside the Canadian Border Services Agency’s downtown Vancouver office, an estimated 100 people gathered to protest the death of Lucia Vega Jimenez while in CBSA custody.

Jimenez, a Mexican national, was working illegally in Vancouver as a hotel cleaner. She had previously applied for refugee status, which was denied in 2010. After being deported to Mexico, she returned to Vancouver — living underground to avoid being deported again. In December, she was arrested by Transit Police for an unpaid fare. When her immigration status was discovered, she was detained and transferred to the CBSA facility at YVR to be deported. While in custody, Jimenez hung herself and she died eight days later in hospital.

Read Laila Yuile’s column

Who is to blame for the Jimenez death? In a discussion with a colleague of mine, it was suggested that Jimenez’s alleged boyfriend is culpable. It’s alleged this person stole her savings while she was in custody and failed to heed her request to bail her out before Christmas. Others point to what they describe as cruel and punitive conditions at immigration detention centres.

Finally, some lay the blame directly at the feet of Citizenship and Immigration Canada and the CBSA. According to the website for No One Is Illegal Vancouver — the self-described radical group which organized Friday’s protest — Jimenez’s death is the latest in a series of suicides as a result of violent and exclusionary immigration and refugee policies. The CBSA is under direct fire for the death because Jimenez was in its custody. I don’t accept any of these arguments.

(…)

Who wins this week’s duel on CBSA’s role on the death of Lucia Vega Jimenez?

  •  
  •  

B.C.: Mexican woman dies in Canada Border Services custody

By David P. Ball, 24 hours Vancouver

The B.C. Coroners service has confirmed the death of a Mexican national who was being held by Canada Border Services Agency on Dec. 28

Lucia Vega Jimenez, 42, died in Vancouver’s Mount St. Joseph’s Hospital. The cause of her death hasn’t been revealed because it is an “open case under active investigation,” Coroner spokeswoman Barb McLintock told 24 hours. Continue reading

MONTREAL, QC: Illegal Ivonne Hernandez fights deportation to Mexico

Ivonne Hernandez, 41, arrived in Montreal in 2009 and filed to remain as a refugee based on her claim that she was abused by a police officer in her hometown of Mexico City. Read more: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/woman-fights-order-to-leave-canada-without-her-baby-1.1666266#ixzz2s7uug6LO

Woman fights order to leave Canada without her baby
Read more: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/woman-fights-order-to-leave-canada-without-her-baby-1.1666266#ixzz2s7ttDCnM

CTV Montreal
Published Saturday, February 1, 2014 5:32PM EST
Last Updated Saturday, February 1, 2014 6:34PM EST

MONTREAL – Local human rights advocates are crying foul after a Mexican woman denied refugee status was ordered to leave the country without the right to take her Canadian-born baby.

Ivonne Hernandez, 41, arrived in Montreal in 2009 and filed to remain as a refugee based on her claim that she was abused by a police officer in her hometown of Mexico City.

She was given partial custody of her child after a split with her husband, against whom she made a claim of domestic abuse after their split.

Hernandez’s refugee claim was refused and she now faces deportation on February 7. She cannot bring her baby at that time because she remains embroiled in an unresolved custody dispute with the baby’s father.

(…)

Maria Morales suing Alberta Health Services over her cancer misdiagnosis

 

Morales is suing Alberta Health Services, Calgary Laboratory Services and the pathologist for missing her cancer when it was in its early stages.

Cancer, denied refugee claim sour Mexican woman’s Canadian dream
Couple from Mexico coping with misdiagnosis and cuts to refugee health care
CBC News Posted: Mar 19, 2013 1:51 PM MT Last Updated: Mar 19, 2013 9:06 PM MT
A Mexican couple’s dream of starting over in Canada is unravelling amid a misdiagnosed cancer, a lawsuit and rejected refugee claims from Ottawa.

Maria Morales and Ivan Nava came from Tierra Colorada in Guerrero state in southwestern Mexico, a region controlled by drug cartels and corrupt police.
‘I couldn’t believe it. When they gave us the news, I felt so sad.’
— Maria Morales
Morales’s former partner, an architect and father to her now grown son, was killed for reasons that were never clear to her, she says. Continue reading

Refugees complain about lack of health coverage

 

Edwin Naula Alvarracin was born with a deformed vertebrae, but his kyphoscoliosis has deteriorated since he came to Canada causing excruciating pain that requires a surgery.

Refugees without health care caught between death and debts
No one wants to see a patient suffer, but are we responsible for the health care of failed refugees and asylum seekers from so-called safe countries?
NICHOLAS KEUNG / Toronto Star 
Edwin Naula Alvarracin was born with a deformed vertebrae, but his kyphoscoliosis has deteriorated since he came to Canada causing excruciating pain that requires a surgery.
By: Nicholas Keung Immigration reporter, Published on Fri Mar 29 2013
Explore This Story1 Photo

Israel Sosa’s deportation has been put on hold as the 50-year-old battles colon cancer.

The failed refugee claimant from the Dominican Republic has been allowed to stay in Canada on humanitarian grounds for now — but he has been banned from getting treatment under Ottawa’s Interim Federal Health (IFH) Program for refugees.

The Toronto man could choose to delay treatment and face death — or go into debt paying his medical costs. Continue reading