MONTREAL: Vigilance Laique and anarchists clash outside of Collège de Maisonneuve

Anti-radicalization protest turns violent in Montreal

Collège de Maisonneuve staked out by pro-secular charter, anti-Adil Charkaoui protesters

CBC News Posted: Mar 29, 2015 4:20 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 29, 2015 4:20 PM ET

 RAW: Protest in Montreal turns violent 0:25

Anti-Muslim radicalization and anti-racism protesters clashed outside of a Montreal post-secondary institution on Sunday afternoon, leading to one arrest.

Anti-Muslim extremism demoA pro-secularism protester holds up a sign that reads, ‘Secular against Islamization’ outside Collège de Maisonneuve in Montreal. (CBC)

Duelling demonstrations by a small group of secular charter supporters and a group of anti-racism protesters turned violent after a man was attacked with picket-sign sticks.

Two men from opposing sides got into an altercation that led to the anti-racism protester getting attacked with wooden sticks.

The site of the protest, Collège de Maisonneuve, made headlines last month when it was reported that five of its students had left the country to join jihadists in Syria.

Leader of PEGIDA Quebec received threats on Facebook

Leader of PEGIDA Quebec Not Attending Protest After Facebook Threats

NEWS by Noelle Didierjean — Published March 28, 2015 | Updated March 28, 2015 | Comment

  • On Facebook, a demonstration organized by PEGIDA listed 181 potential participants an hour before the start time, comparably, the anti-PEGIDA protest Facebook event had 440 participants three days before the protest.

The leader of a Quebec-based Islamophobic group told a reporter he will not be attending the group’s planned protest against the “Islamization” of the west after receiving threats on Facebook, according to counter-protest organizer Jaggi Singh.

The Quebec chapter of Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamization of the West (PEGIDA), a German right-wing anti-Islamic group, had a protest planned for 4 p.m. in Montreal’s “Little Maghreb” neighbourhood.

Singh said La Presse reporter Laura Julie-Perreault told him the group’s leader, Jean-Francois Asgard, would not be going while interviewing him.

Singh told The Link that Asgard is using the threats as an excuse not to show up.

“Everybody gets Facebook threats. That’s just a reason not to show up,” he said, adding that “the people who get the worst kind of Facebook threats are the Muslim community, who are directly victimized by this climate of Islamophobia.”

Members of the Quebec National Assembly have denounced the group.

Though the group plans to march from a supermarket parking lot on Pie-IX Street towards a local mosque at 4 p.m. today, Singh said the counter-protest plans to block PEGIDA’s march entirely.

“We’re going to be festive, and we’re going to be engaged in reaching out to members of the community,” he told The Link. “From our sheer numbers, they won’t be able to march.”

According to a post made by PEGIDA Quebec on their official protest page, the action’s goal is to “gather a maximum of people of any political and ethnic origins and which want to protect our democratic values in the face of the Islamization [and the] introduction of the sharia in our country.”

MONTREAL: PEGIDA Quebec cancels rally as Revolutionary Communist Party puts on counter-rally

Anti-Islam group with European roots and National Front sympathies organizes in Quebec

By Tracey Lindeman, CBC News Posted: Mar 28, 2015 1:40 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 28, 2015 5:21 PM ET

Two women at the anti-PEGIDA protest share a laugh together while waiting to see whether members of the pro-nationalist group, anti-Islam group would show up.Two women at the anti-PEGIDA protest share a laugh together while waiting to see whether members of the pro-nationalist group, anti-Islam group would show up. (Radio-Canada)

A march organized by sympathizers of a Europe-based anti-Islam, anti-immigration group called PEGIDA was cancelled on Saturday after hundreds of people showed up to protest against PEGIDA itself.

The self-described leader of the relatively new PEGIDA Québec chapter, Jean-François Asgard, told Radio-Canada that ”Islam needs to reform itself or leave the West.”

Jaggi Singh March 28 2015Well-known activist Jaggi Singh said PEGIDA is a collection of neo-Nazis, Islamophobes and internet trolls. (Radio-Canada)

Jaggi Singh of the No One Is Illegal activist group helped organize Saturday’s counter-protest.

Hundreds of people toting signs denouncing racism and Islamophobia arrived 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start time of the PEGIDA march, set to take place in a largely Muslim community in Montreal called Little Maghreb.

Just over 100 people had RSVP’d to PEGIDA Québec’s march, while nearly 900 members of Antifa (anti-fascism) and other anti-racist groups said they would attend the counter-demonstration.

“There’s no way that their demonstration will be able to go where they want to go. They won’t be able to pass. The police have given them permission to march, but that doesn’t mean people in the neighbourhood or anti-racist groups are giving them permission to march,” he said.

The anti-Islam group had submitted its march itinerary to Montreal police. A number of officers were on the scene to keep an eye on any violence.

What is PEGIDA?

The organization is popular with neo-Nazis and other nationalists and is often spoken about favourably on white supremacist online forums such as Stormfront and National Front.

PEGIDA, which in German stands for Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamization of the West, first popped up in October 2014. The relatively new group began in Dresden, Germany and uses Facebook as a main organizing tool.

Tory MP Larry Miller tells niqab-wearers at oath ceremonies to ‘stay the hell where you came from’

Tory MP tells niqab-wearers at oath ceremonies to ‘stay the hell where you came from’

QMI AGENCY

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

Larry Miller
Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound
MP Larry Miller is pictured in this file photo. (JAMES MASTERS/QMI Agency)

OWEN SOUND, Ont. — A Conservative MP has apologized for telling a radio station that Muslim women who want to wear a niqab while taking the oath of citizenship should “stay the hell where you came from.”

Larry Miller, who represents the riding of Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound, made the comment Monday in the wake of a Federal Court ruling that struck down a ban on face coverings during citizenship oaths.

“I think most Canadians feel the same. That’s maybe saying it a little harshly, but it’s the way I feel,” Miller told 560 CFOS AM.

“I’m so sick and tired of people wanting to come here because they know it’s a good country and then they want to change things before they even really officially become a Canadian, so I have no sympathy for her.”

Miller apologized on Tuesday, calling his comments “inappropriate.”

OTTAWA: Nabil Benhsaien accused of attacking five women with a hammer charged with five counts each of attempted murder

Accused in Ottawa hammer attacks convicted of flashing

Published on: March 16, 2015
Last Updated: March 16, 2015 3:16 PM EDT

Nabil Benhsaien has admitted flashing two men. But he’s facing more serious charges in hammer attacks against several women.Laurie Foster-MacLeod / Ottawa Citizen

A 37-year-old man accused of attacking five women with a hammer has been found guilty of flashing two men who tried to stop him from slashing tires.

On Oct. 1, 2013, Nabil Benhsaien pulled down his pants on Alpine Avenue and exposed his penis to two witnesses who followed him on foot after the tires on two vehicles were slashed.

One of the witnesses snapped a picture of Benhsaien as he flashed them before continuing to walk away.

Benhsaien was arrested a short time later and charged with mischief and committing an indecent act on Oct. 1, 2013.

He was released by a police officer on the scene on a promise to appear in court.

Benhsaien also faces charges in five hammer attacks dating back to 2010. He was charged with five counts each of attempted murder, aggravated assault, assault with a weapon, criminal negligence causing bodily harm, and possession of a weapon.

Belhassen Trabelsi denied asylum

Brother-in-law of Zine el Abidine Ben Ali has been living in Montreal since 2011

CBC News Posted: Mar 16, 2015 6:36 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 16, 2015 8:47 PM ET

The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada said they rejected Belhassen Trabelsi's request to stay in Canada because he 'committed serious political crimes' in Tunisia. The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada said they rejected Belhassen Trabelsi’s request to stay in Canada because he ‘committed serious political crimes’ in Tunisia. (Radio-Canada)

Belhassen Trabelsi, the  brother-in-law of former Tunisian dictator Zineel Abidine Ben Ali, has been denied political asylum in Canada.

The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada rejected his request for refugee status on Monday because of criminal charges he faces in Tunisia.

“The tribunal finds that there are serious reasons for considering that the applicant, Belhassen Trabelsi, has committed serious political crimes, specifically defrauding the government, fraud and money laundering,” the ruling says.

The decision comes after 21 days of hearings, which began 20 months ago. It applies to Trabelsi only. His wife and children are eligible to apply for refugee status in Canada.