Category Archives: Non-African black community

OTTAWA: University of Ottawa professor Joanne St. Lewis awarded $350,000 in damages in racial slur case

Racism in Canada finds fertile ground online

Joanne St. Lewis case is just one that shows how internet easily spreads racist message

By Terry Reith, Briar Stewart, CBC News Posted: Nov 12, 2014 4:50 PM MT Last Updated: Nov 12, 2014 6:04 PM MT

When Joanne St. Lewis wrote a critical evaluation of a student racism project, she could not have known the grief it would cause. And certainly not the years it would take to finally erase the racial slur that accompanied her name in every online search.

It began six years ago, and continues today in spite of an Ontario Superior Court decision in June. The decision found an Ottawa blogger had defamed St. Lewis by attaching a racial epithet meaning to “sell out,” stemming from the black slave experience, to her name.

St. Lewis, a University of Ottawa law professor, has taken steps most would find daunting. Going to court, winning a decision and now fighting an appeal. Continue reading

TORONTO: Councillor Ceta Ramkhalawansingh says “It’s not a big deal, sh*t happens” after flubbing names and ranks of our two soldiers killed by terrorists

Councillor flub soldiers’ names: ‘S— happens’

BY , CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

TORONTO - Lest we forget.

Councillor Ceta Ramkhalawansingh failed to remember the ranks of the two Canadian soldiers killed just a few weeks ago in two separate terrorist attacks during her speech at the city’s Remembrance Day ceremony.

Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent was killed last month in Quebec just two days before Cpl. Nathan Cirillo was shot and killed in a separate attack while guarding the National War Memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

“This year is of course particularly sad as we honour the memory of Mr. Cirillo and Mr. Vincent — I forget his name. I’m sorry, I’m a little nervous,” she told the hundreds gathered around the Cenotaph at Queen and Bay Sts.

“Those are very sad reminders of what we must continue to fight for.”

After the ceremony, Ramkhalawansingh said she couldn’t remember the soldiers’ ranks.

“It is not a big deal,” she insisted.

Asked what she would say to people who may be offended by the omission, Ramkhalawansingh said she doesn’t know “anybody that would be upset by that.

“When you get asked to stand in at the last minute — trying to prepare with remarks because I had to rewrite some of it — s— happens,” she said. Continue reading

BRAMPTON: Sean Stewart arrested in TTC sexual assaults

  • Share on Facebook
  • Reddit this!
Toronto police have arrested Sean Stewart, 36, in connection with a series of sexual assaults on TTC buses.

TORONTO POLICE

Toronto police have arrested Sean Stewart, 36, in connection with a series of sexual assaults on TTC buses.

 By: Diana Hall Staff Reporter, Published on Fri Nov 07 2014

A Brampton man has been arrested in connection with a string of sexual assaults Toronto police say took place on TTC buses.

The latest of four assaults, which date back to June 2013, allegedly occurred on Thursday, police said.

(…)

The alleged victims were women between 18 and 25, who police said were unknown to the suspect. Officers believe there could be more victims.

Sean Stewart, 36, has been charged with four counts of sexual assault. He was to appear in a Finch Ave. W. courtroom earlier Friday.

Police are encouraging anyone with information to contact officers at 416-808-7474, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).

Ontario fairness commissioner Jean Augustine claims limousine rides were necessary

FOI shows thousands in expenses from Ontario fairness commissioner

  • Updated
    8:29 pm, November 4th, 2014
  • 1:23 pm, November 4th, 2014

ANTONELLA ARTUSO | QMI AGENCY

TORONTO ─ Ontario fairness commissioner Jean Augustine billed taxpayers for thousands of dollars in limousine rides and even the small fee charged for airplane earphones, Progressive Conservative MPP Monte McNaughton says.

(…)

Augustine was appointed the province’s first Fairness Commissioner in 2007, after she resigned as Liberal MP for Etobicoke-Lakeshore in 2006 to allow then-federal Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff to run.

According to the Freedom of Information documents supplied by the Ontario Progressive Conservatives, the $566-a-day fairness commissioner expensed a $3.41 pair of Air Canada earphones, a $43.35 sightseeing tour in Tampere, Finland and a $2.71 snack at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago in her work-related travels.

Records for 2013-14 also show Augustine submitted expenses for $3,456 in limousine rides, McNaughton said.

“Of course, we know last September she took a $6,300 trip to Finland, billed a sightseeing tour,” he said. Continue reading

ETOBICOKE: Anieph Fitzroy Burton and Jehanneiry Beaton arrested in string of break ins and sexual assaults

Watch the extended video as police discuss a pair of arrests in an investigation into a rash of break and enters in Etobicoke.
Chris Fox, CP24.com 
Published Friday, October 31, 2014 6:12AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, October 31, 2014 12:38PM EDT

Police say they have arrested a “serial predator” who broke into 59 homes in the Etobicoke area over the last three years and on a number of occasions sexually assaulted women who were sleeping inside.

The suspect’s wife is also facing seven charges in connection with the investigation.

The incidents have taken place in the early morning hours in the eastern and central Etobicoke areas with a large number of them clustered between Bloor Street to the north, The Queensway to the south, Islington Avenue to the west and Royal York Road to the east.

Anieph Fitzroy Burton

Anieph Fitzroy Burton is shown in a handout photo. Burton is facing 95 charges in connection with a string of Etobicoke break ins and sexual assaults. (Toronto Police)

Though the break-ins have taken place in a period spanning from August, 2011 to August 2014, police say they usually took place in bunches with the suspect often targeting a number of homes in the same neighbourhood.

On one such spree on Sept. 7, 2012 the masked suspect allegedly broke into a home near Bloor Street and Islington Avenue at around 3:10 a.m. and sexually assaulted a sleeping 62-year-old woman before fleeing on foot. About 30 minutes later a man matching the same description allegedly broke into a home near Royal York Road and The Queensway and proceeded to sexually assault a 70-year-old woman asleep inside.

(…)

Though many of the victims were alone at the time, others were home with their partners or other family members, leading police to believe that single women were not targeted and that the break ins and sexual assaults were “sometimes a crime of opportunity,” Beaven-Desjardins said.

The arrest of the suspect on Wednesday follows an “exhaustive investigation” and several close calls where the suspect was pursued by officers but not apprehended.

Speaking with reporters on Friday, Beaven-Desjardins said that it is “possible” that the suspect’s wife aided him in fleeing the scene of some of the break-and-enters.

Anieph Fitzroy Burton, 32, of Toronto, was arrested on Wednesday and charged with 95 offences, including 11 counts of sexual assaults, three counts of overcoming resistance by choking, one count of sexual assault causing bodily harm and four counts of assault.

Burton’s wife, 31-year-old Jehanneiry Beaton, was also arrested on Wednesday and charged with six counts of break-and-enter and one count of break-and-enter with intent.

Police say they believe there could be additional victims out there.

“There may be many more victims both in Toronto and across our border into Peel Region,” Beaven-Desjardins said. “We encourage the public to come forth and report any incidents related to this.”

Remember for instant breaking news follow @cp24 on Twitter.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/police-arrest-man-in-string-of-break-ins-and-sexual-assaults-wife-also-facing-charges-1.2080413#ixzz3HkAyKJen

TORONTO: After 47 years of living in Canada, feminist Ceta Ramkhalawansingh wants Canadian anthem be more “inclusive”

Toronto city councillor pushes for “O Canada” change

Ceta Ramkhalawansingh wants city council to ask Ottawa to make the national anthem more gender-inclusive.

By:  Staff Reporter, Published on Thu Aug 21 2014

In one of her only acts as a politician, interim city councillor Ceta Ramkhalawansingh wants to make history.

At Monday’s council meeting, Ramkhalawansingh will introduce a motion to request the federal government change the English words of Canada’s national anthem to be more gender inclusive.

If successful, singers of “O Canada” will eventually proclaim “true patriot love in all of us command” instead of “true patriot love in all thy sons command.”

“It’s about inclusion, and you’re really changing two words,” Ramkhalawansingh said.

Changing the national anthem requires an act of Parliament, not city council. But Ramkhalawansingh wants to push her colleagues in that direction.

“It’s my last city council meeting and I’m a feminist,” she said. “If you go back and look at the city’s history you will see the City of Toronto has provided leadership on many gender equality issues.”

The recommended word changes are based on the national “Sing all of us” campaign, founded by former prime minister Kim Campbell, author Margaret Atwood, Senator Nancy Ruth, former University of Toronto chancellor Vivienne Poy and educator Sally Goddard.

“It will be very interesting to see who supports and who may not support it,” Ramkhalawansingh said. “I can predict there will be a couple who won’t.”

Before joining city council, Ramkhalawansingh was a municipal civil servant for three decades and retired in 2010 as manager of diversity management and community engagement for the city.

(…)

__________

Ceta Ramkhalawansingh

Country of Origin:

Trinidad and Tobago

My name is Ceta Ramkhalawansingh, and I moved to Toronto in August 1967. I came with my family, which included my mother, my father, my brother and a sister. The five of us moved here in part because our parents wanted us to attend university in Canada. We moved from Trinidad and Tobago, and although there are very good schools there, I think that they thought that travel and living overseas would be a very good thing for us to do.

 

When I moved to Toronto in 1967, I attended one year of high school and then entered the University of Toronto, where I became very involved in a range of student activities, in addition to going to school, of course. I became very involved in student government, as well as various course union programs. At that point in time in 1968 onwards, there was a move afoot to change the curriculum of the University of Toronto towards a more integrated, interdepartmental approach to curriculum, rather than very rigid programs of study. I became very involved in advocating and working towards establishing a feminist studies program.

14-year-old among nine arrested in string of bank robberies

Boy, 14, among nine arrested in string of bank robberies

  • Share on Facebook
  • Reddit this!
By: The Canadian Press, Published on Fri Aug 15 2014

Five men and four teens have been charged — and another teen is being sought — in a string of bank robberies in the Toronto area.

Police say five banks were robbed in Toronto and Markham between July 22 and Aug. 13.

(…)

Rashawn Samuels, 20, of Ajax and Samuel Smith, 18, Elroy Christie, 20, Karlos Perkins, 20, and Joleel Alfred, 22, all of Toronto, are facing multiple charges, including robbery while armed and conspiracy to commit robbery.

Two 17-year-old boys, a 16-year-old boy and a 14-year-old boy, all of Toronto, are also charged with robbery and other offences.

A 17-year-old Mississauga boy is wanted on robbery charges.

(…)

MONTREAL: Haitian gang leader Ducarme Joseph executed in the middle of the street

Police say Joseph was leader of Montreal’s 67 gang

CBC News Posted: Aug 02, 2014 8:50 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 02, 2014 10:52 AM ET

Reputed gang leader Ducarme Joseph was fatally shot in the Saint-Michel neighbourhood last night.

Joseph, 46, was found in the middle of a street around 10:15 p.m., near the corner of Saint-Michel Boulevard and Michel-Ange Street.

ducarme joseph Police have called Ducarme Joseph the most dangerous street gang member in Montreal. (Montreal Police)

Officers and paramedics responded to the call, and Joseph was declared dead at the scene.

“Upon their arrival they found the body of a man in his 40s, with serious wounds to his upper body. We’re talking about gunshot wounds,” said Const. Francois Collard with the Montreal Police.

Collard said police have not made any arrests and have no suspects at this time.

Police analyst Stéphane Berthomet told Radio-Canada that more than one criminal organization could have reason to kill Joseph.

“All hypotheses are still open. There is the Mafia, the bikers, and other gangs. The possibilities are vast,” said Berthomet. Continue reading

Caribbean immigration in Canada

‘Disturbing’ crime trends in Caribbean: Report 

BY  ,TORONTO SUN

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

ross
Cameron Ross, of the University of Calgary’s School of Public Policy, was in Toronto Tuesday to release a new report on crime in the Caribbean and its impact on Canada. (CHRIS DOUCETTE, Toronto Sun)

But a new report on crime in the Caribbean region puts a spotlight on “disturbing trends” that impact Canada and suggests it’s time we pay more attention to what’s happening beyond the safety of resorts.

“The bottom line is that there are things Canada can do to assist the Caribbean region,” Cameron Ross, of the University of Calgary’s School of Public Policy, said in Toronto Tuesday.

The author of the report, a retired Canadian Forces major-general, said the Caribbean has a serious crime problem and suggested Canada should learn from what’s happening in the region.

The report, released just days before the city’s 48th annual Caribbean Festival kicks off, looked at the long-standing and highly-lucrative drug trade in the Caribbean region.

But it also highlights the more recent emergence of human trafficking and money laundering, as well as ties between terrorist groups and drug cartels with links to the Caribbean.

In the early 1970s, about 10% of crime in the Caribbean was categorized as violent and Ross pointed out by the mid-80s that number soared to 41%.

He said much of the violence in the region, as it is in Canadian urban centres, can be traced to gangs.

But combatting gangs is “a complex problem.”

Like in Canada, Ross said young men in the Caribbean turn to crime when they are unable to find good paying jobs — largely because they didn’t stay in school. Continue reading