CBC News Posted: Nov 26, 2014 5:00 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 26, 2014 5:58 PM ET
An Ottawa woman says she’s still waiting for a response from OC Transpo and doesn’t plan on riding buses with her baby on cold days in the future after a bus driver asked her to get off a bus with her stroller and two-month-old baby.
“I was extremely frustrated, to say the least,” said Robin Noel, nearly a week after the Thursday, Nov. 20 incident during the afternoon rush hour.
She was waiting for a No. 2 bus on Somerset Street West and had timed it so she’d be waiting outside for only five minutes.
But the first bus was full and didn’t stop and the second, smaller bus was 20 minutes late. She said she watched six to eight people get off, but that the driver wouldn’t let her on.
“As I was starting to get on the bus, the driver looks at me and says, ‘I can’t fit a stroller, you have to get off,’” Noel recalled.
By Terry Reith, Briar Stewart, CBC News Posted: Nov 12, 2014 4:50 PM MT Last Updated: Nov 12, 2014 6:04 PM MT
When Joanne St. Lewis wrote a critical evaluation of a student racism project, she could not have known the grief it would cause. And certainly not the years it would take to finally erase the racial slur that accompanied her name in every online search.
It began six years ago, and continues today in spite of an Ontario Superior Court decision in June. The decision found an Ottawa blogger had defamed St. Lewis by attaching a racial epithet meaning to “sell out,” stemming from the black slave experience, to her name.
St. Lewis, a University of Ottawa law professor, has taken steps most would find daunting. Going to court, winning a decision and now fighting an appeal.
BY DON PEAT, CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF
FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED:
TORONTO - Lest we forget.
Councillor Ceta Ramkhalawansingh failed to remember the ranks of the two Canadian soldiers killed just a few weeks ago in two separate terrorist attacks during her speech at the city’s Remembrance Day ceremony.
Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent was killed last month in Quebec just two days before Cpl. Nathan Cirillo was shot and killed in a separate attack while guarding the National War Memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
“This year is of course particularly sad as we honour the memory of Mr. Cirillo and Mr. Vincent — I forget his name. I’m sorry, I’m a little nervous,” she told the hundreds gathered around the Cenotaph at Queen and Bay Sts.
“Those are very sad reminders of what we must continue to fight for.”
After the ceremony, Ramkhalawansingh said she couldn’t remember the soldiers’ ranks.
“It is not a big deal,” she insisted.
Asked what she would say to people who may be offended by the omission, Ramkhalawansingh said she doesn’t know “anybody that would be upset by that.
“When you get asked to stand in at the last minute — trying to prepare with remarks because I had to rewrite some of it — s— happens,” she said.
Toronto police have arrested Sean Stewart, 36, in connection with a series of sexual assaults on TTC buses.
A Brampton man has been arrested in connection with a string of sexual assaults Toronto police say took place on TTC buses.
The latest of four assaults, which date back to June 2013, allegedly occurred on Thursday, police said.
The alleged victims were women between 18 and 25, who police said were unknown to the suspect. Officers believe there could be more victims.
Sean Stewart, 36, has been charged with four counts of sexual assault. He was to appear in a Finch Ave. W. courtroom earlier Friday.
Police are encouraging anyone with information to contact officers at 416-808-7474, or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).
ANTONELLA ARTUSO | QMI AGENCY
TORONTO ─ Ontario fairness commissioner Jean Augustine billed taxpayers for thousands of dollars in limousine rides and even the small fee charged for airplane earphones, Progressive Conservative MPP Monte McNaughton says.
Augustine was appointed the province’s first Fairness Commissioner in 2007, after she resigned as Liberal MP for Etobicoke-Lakeshore in 2006 to allow then-federal Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff to run.
According to the Freedom of Information documents supplied by the Ontario Progressive Conservatives, the $566-a-day fairness commissioner expensed a $3.41 pair of Air Canada earphones, a $43.35 sightseeing tour in Tampere, Finland and a $2.71 snack at O’Hare International Airport in Chicago in her work-related travels.
Records for 2013-14 also show Augustine submitted expenses for $3,456 in limousine rides, McNaughton said.
“Of course, we know last September she took a $6,300 trip to Finland, billed a sightseeing tour,” he said.
Police say they have arrested a “serial predator” who broke into 59 homes in the Etobicoke area over the last three years and on a number of occasions sexually assaulted women who were sleeping inside.
The suspect’s wife is also facing seven charges in connection with the investigation.
The incidents have taken place in the early morning hours in the eastern and central Etobicoke areas with a large number of them clustered between Bloor Street to the north, The Queensway to the south, Islington Avenue to the west and Royal York Road to the east.
Anieph Fitzroy Burton is shown in a handout photo. Burton is facing 95 charges in connection with a string of Etobicoke break ins and sexual assaults. (Toronto Police)
Though the break-ins have taken place in a period spanning from August, 2011 to August 2014, police say they usually took place in bunches with the suspect often targeting a number of homes in the same neighbourhood.
On one such spree on Sept. 7, 2012 the masked suspect allegedly broke into a home near Bloor Street and Islington Avenue at around 3:10 a.m. and sexually assaulted a sleeping 62-year-old woman before fleeing on foot. About 30 minutes later a man matching the same description allegedly broke into a home near Royal York Road and The Queensway and proceeded to sexually assault a 70-year-old woman asleep inside.
Though many of the victims were alone at the time, others were home with their partners or other family members, leading police to believe that single women were not targeted and that the break ins and sexual assaults were “sometimes a crime of opportunity,” Beaven-Desjardins said.
The arrest of the suspect on Wednesday follows an “exhaustive investigation” and several close calls where the suspect was pursued by officers but not apprehended.
Speaking with reporters on Friday, Beaven-Desjardins said that it is “possible” that the suspect’s wife aided him in fleeing the scene of some of the break-and-enters.
Anieph Fitzroy Burton, 32, of Toronto, was arrested on Wednesday and charged with 95 offences, including 11 counts of sexual assaults, three counts of overcoming resistance by choking, one count of sexual assault causing bodily harm and four counts of assault.
Burton’s wife, 31-year-old Jehanneiry Beaton, was also arrested on Wednesday and charged with six counts of break-and-enter and one count of break-and-enter with intent.
Police say they believe there could be additional victims out there.
“There may be many more victims both in Toronto and across our border into Peel Region,” Beaven-Desjardins said. “We encourage the public to come forth and report any incidents related to this.”
Remember for instant breaking news follow @cp24 on Twitter.