4 Filipino temporary foreign workers killed in Leduc crash
Echoes 2012 crash that killed 4 Filipino workers near Calgary
By Lydia Neufeld, Scott Lilwall, CBC News Posted: Nov 24, 2014 11:25 AM MT Last Updated: Nov 24, 2014 5:44 PM MT
A recently widowed mother working as a nanny to support her two teenagers was among four Filipino temporary foreign workers killed in a head-on crash with a truck on an icy Alberta highway Saturday morning.
Eva Janette Caperina, 41, was travelling with two men and a woman along Highway 21 when their Saturn Ion hit an icy patch near Leduc. Continue reading
Share on Facebook
An image from a re-edited video released by the Confederation des Syndicats Nationaux that initially contained controversial remarks that singled out immigrant business owners from India and Pakistan.
By: The Canadian Press, Published on Thu Nov 06 2014
CALGARY—Representatives of a Quebec union say they did not intend to offend anyone when they recorded a video promoting provincial government liquor sales that singled out immigrants as inadequate salespeople.
The video, recorded in Alberta, included comments from a French-speaking man suggesting private liquor sales in the province have resulted in a poor level of customer service.
The unidentified man asserts that immigrant business owners from India and Pakistan are uninformed salespeople when it comes to the sale of alcohol.
Following a backlash from outraged residents of Quebec and Alberta, the union, the Confederation des Syndicats Nationaux, issued an apology and announced its decision to remove the controversial remarks from the video.
Devinder Toor owns 14 Alberta liquor stores and has been in the alcohol sales business for 14 years.
He says he and his staff stay on top of available products in the market.
“We are very confident,” explains Toor. “The staff works to answer all the needs of the customers. We try to put the best value for the customers in terms of knowledge, prices and everything.”
Toor says Alberta’s decision to privatize liquor sales was a great thing for small business owners, customers, and the provincial government.
“It created a lot of business opportunities and it’s good for the government because the revenue stream is consistent,” explains Toor. “To be competitive you need to look around the market.”
Live-in caregivers no longer required to reside with employers
The Canadian Press
Published Friday, October 31, 2014 9:08AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, October 31, 2014 1:42PM EDT
OTTAWA — Immigration Minister Chris Alexander says live-in caregivers from abroad will no longer be required to reside with their employers, part of an effort to reduce caregiver abuse.
He says changes to the program will make 30,000 caregivers permanent residents in 2015. There is currently a 60,000-case backlog.
Starting next month, the government will launch two new pathways for caregivers hoping to find work in Canada.
One pathway is for child-care providers; the other is for those who take care of the elderly or the ailing. Alexander says applications under both streams will be processed within six months.
The 2015 immigration plan unveiled today sets a target of up to 285,000 new permanent residents next year, an increase of about 20,000 people over last year’s goal.
Students and temporary foreign workers seeking to settle in Canada permanently will have the best chance at nabbing a spot: spaces in the Canadian Experience Class program are set to jump to up to 23,000 from last year’s maximum goal of 15,000.
The program fast-tracks permanent residency for people who are already in Canada as part of other programs, including the controversial temporary foreign workers program, which is undergoing an overhaul.
The government is also set to admit more federal skilled workers, aiming for 51,000 people as it revamps the entry program to bring them to Canada.
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/live-in-caregivers-no-longer-required-to-reside-with-employers-1.2080614#ixzz3HkIzlNbi
Toronto man charged with murder of sex-trade worker in Mississauga
Peel Regional PoliceNiran Murray has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a sex-trade worker at a Mississauga hotel.
BRAMPTON, Ont. – Peel regional police announced Thursday that they had charged a 32-year-old Toronto man with first-degree murder in the death of a sex-trade worker at a Mississauga hotel.
Forty-three-year-old Evelyn Castillo of Thornhill, Ont., was found without vital signs just before 7 p.m. at a hotel on Britannia Road East on Oct. 11.
Her body was found by emergency crews putting out a fire at the hotel.
Insp. George Koekkoek told reporters that an autopsy revealed that Ms. Castillo had died as result of injuries received prior to the fire being set.
Arrested and charged in the case is Niran Murray, more commonly known as Nick Murray. He was due to appear in court Thursday.
Police believe Mr. Murray may have allegedly assaulted other women in the past, particularly sex-trade workers, and are appealing for witnesses to come forward.
“He is currently before the courts facing an allegation of assault and mischief, the victim in that case was also a sex-trade worker and the offence is alleged to have occurred in a hotel as well,” said Insp. Koekkoek.
Insp. Koekkoek said police believe Mr. Murray was a customer of Ms. Castillo’s, who also worked as a caregiver. But investigators are still trying to determine whether the two had any previous contacts.
Police did not reveal any other details about Ms. Castillo, but published reports said she arrived in Canada from the Philippines about two years ago.
Ms. Castillo’s murder was the Peel region’s fifth homicide of 2014.
The Canadian Press