EDMONTON: Alvin Jackson Goh accused of 208 incidents of theft with a combined value of over $750,000
Edmonton food fraudster admits to stealing $735,000 from a Rexall Place food service provider to pay for lavish lifestyle
FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED:
An Edmonton man admitted Friday to stealing nearly $735,000 from a company that provides food services to Rexall Place and spending it on a “lavish lifestyle.”
Court heard that lifestyle included extensive travel, entertainment and jewelry for Alvin Goh and his wife and a wedding ceremony in New York’s Central Park that was followed by a reception along the Hudson River on a chartered yacht and a party at the Waldorf Astoria hotel.read more
Still searching for answers into city’s first homicide
BY DANIELLE BELL ,OTTAWA SUN
FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED:
Clutching a framed photograph of murder victim Jagtar Gill to her chest, Gurpreet Kaur Chahal was in tears as she walked into the Sikh temple on Friday.
“We’re just giving our emotional support to the family,” said Chahal. “We’re doing our best wherever we can.”
The 43-year-old mother was slain on her 17th wedding anniversary, in her upscale Barrhaven home on Jan. 29. Gill had been home alone when her family returned, after buying cake and flowers, to find her dead on the living room floor.
“The community is shaken at this incident. How did it happen? Why did it happen? Everybody’s scared in their own home, because we’re not safe in our home. It happened in broad daylight,” said Chahal.
An estimated 300 people gathered to remember Gill on Friday; first at a private service at a Nepean funeral home, followed by a prayer gathering at a nearby Sikh temple.read more
Présumée agression sexuelle à sa résidence: Jean Pascal rencontré par les policiers
PUBLIÉ LE: | MISE À JOUR:
Le boxeur Jean Pascal a été rencontré par les policiers hier après-midi et aucune accusation n’a été déposée contre lui.
Le champion de boxe est toujours considéré comme un témoin important dans le cadre de l’enquête de la présumée agression sexuelle survenue dans sa résidence.
Jean Pascal s’est rendu aux bureaux des enquêteurs à 14 heures avec son avocat. «Il est impossible d’entrer dans les détails de la rencontre pour ne pas nuire à l’enquête, mais l’entretien est complété. Nous n’avons pas prévu de le rencontrer à nouveau pour le moment; tout dépend de l’avancement de l’enquête», explique le porte-parole de la Régie intermunicipale de police Thérèse-De Blainville, Jonathan Germain.
Les policiers ont aussi rencontré plusieurs témoins et aucun d’entre eux n’a été identifié comme suspect. Aucune accusation n’a donc été déposée jusqu’à présent. Les enquêteurs poursuivent donc leur travail afin de faire la lumière sur les événements qui se seraient produits dans la nuit de samedi à dimanche à la résidence du boxeur à Lorraine, dans la banlieue nord de Montréal.
Bill 60 is long overdue, says former Herouxville councillor
Hearings on the proposed Charter of Values continued Wednesday at the National Assembly with the man behind the 2007 Herouxville saga.
Among those testifying, was former Herouxville town councillor Andre Drouin, who helped ban religious face coverings and stonings in his Mauricie town.
Drouin said the past seven years have been quite an education, for him, and that Bill 60 is long overdue.
“I believe it’s probably the first, well the best, thing that can happen to the province of Quebec now and I will dare at this – Canada will probably imitate us,” he said.
In 2007, the town of Herouxville famously passed a lifestyle code that including such points as banning religious face coverings and death by stoning.
Drouin said the Charter of Values will be very useful.read more
CBC News Posted: Sep 19, 2013 5:15 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 19, 2013 5:15 PM ET
Nabil Huruy, 23, kept his head down during a brief court appearance Thursday. Huruy is accused of stabbing and killing 45-year-old firefighter Dominic Parker at a Toronto cafe earlier this week. ( Alex Tavshunsky)
Nabil Huruy, the man charged in the stabbing death of a Markham, Ont., firefighter made his second court appearance today.
The 23-year-old appeared briefly at a downtown courtroom this morning, keeping his head down as he stood in the prisoner’s dock. He remains in custody.
Huruy is accused of attacking Dominic Parker “without provocation” at an east-end cafe earlier this week.
He is charged with first-degree murder.