Category Archives: Abuse/Child abuse/Beaten to death

Dario Bartoli, 15, killed in group assault in Surrey

Dario Bartoli homicide: grief counsellors brought in as friends grieve

Integrated Homicide InvestigationTeam asks witnesses to come forward

CBC News Posted: Dec 14, 2014 5:20 PM PT Last Updated: Dec 14, 2014 6:39 PM PT

Integrated Homicide investigation Team releases Dario Bartoli's name and picture in the hope it will encourage more witnesses to come forward.Integrated Homicide investigation Team releases Dario Bartoli’s name and picture in the hope it will encourage more witnesses to come forward. (CBC)http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/dario-bartoli-homicide-grief-counsellors-brought-in-as-friends-grieve-1.2873043

Friends are in disbelief and a community is in shock as the impact of 15-year-old Dario Bartoli’s death Saturday in South Surrey begins to sink in.

The Integrated Homicide Team called for witnesses to come forward, and Earl Marriott Secondary School, where Bartoli was a student, prepared to bring in grief counsellors. Continue reading

HAMILTON: Janos Acs, victim of the Domotor-Kolompar human-trafficking ring, commits suicide

HUMAN TRAFFICKING VICTIM

HUMAN TRAFFICKING VICTIM

Cathie Coward,The Hamilton Spectator

Janos Acs was among more than 20 people rescued in 2009 by RCMP from the hands of human traffickers who lured them from their native Hungary on the false promise of work.

In the early evening hours of June 10, Janos Acs walked onto train tracks in central Hamilton and lay down to die.

The 60-year-old’s suicide, near Emerald Street North, ended a troubled life that authorities thought they had saved.

Acs was among more than 20 people rescued in 2009 by RCMP from the hands of human traffickers who lured them from their native Hungary on the false promise of work. Despite the successful prosecution of his abusers and that he and other victims were given safe haven in Canada, Acs lived out his free days moving in and out of shelters, struggling to find work and drinking heavily.

The now infamous Domotor-Kolompar criminal organization was dismantled in 2010 and stands as the largest human trafficking case in Canadian history. Twenty-three members of the extended family were convicted of various charges between 2012 and 2013.

“I feel very much betrayed and I’m pretty frustrated,” Janos Acs told the Spectator

Canada Border Services Agency regional director Goran Vragovic said he learned of Acs’ death on Tuesday morning, before a news conference announcing that 20 members of thecriminal organization had been deported.

“It’s a tragic conclusion to an already sad story,” he said.

MORE: “There is no room in Canada” for modern day slavery

Spectator readers first met Acs in a Hamilton shelter in December 2010. He was the first victim willing to speak publicly.

“I feel very much betrayed and I’m pretty frustrated. I’m kind of all alone and I have no friends to discuss the situation,” he said during an interview for a Spectator special investigation, The gypsy kings, that followed the human traffickers to Hungary.

Acs grew up in a small Hungarian village called Bakonybel and, despite being in his 50s, had never been outside Hungary. He was approached by a member of the organization and offered a construction job in Canada. Ignoring warnings from family, Acs said he agreed.

He immediately realized his mistake.

“When I came over here, the situation became a servant and master thing,” he said.

Acs spent seven months living in the basement of his captor’s Mohawk Road East home. Along with working without pay, he was coached to apply for social assistance and claim to be mentally handicapped.

On two occasions, he escaped from the home, once approaching a police officer on the street. The officers didn’t understand what he was saying, so he went back.

When RCMP showed up in late 2009 and offered him an escape, he agreed to leave. But life in a men’s shelter was not what he thought it was going to be. He had hoped to bring his then 30-year-old son to Canada, but that never happened.

“I appreciate that people are helping me here, but I just can’t get used to this. I don’t regret that I came to Canada, but I didn’t figure it was going to be like this.”

Hamilton police spokesperson Constable Debbie McGreal-Dinning confirmed police were called to the “sudden death” on June 10, in the area of Emerald Street North and Birge Street. The death was deemed non-criminal and McGreal-Dinning said she could not comment further.

Fellow victim Tamas Miko didn’t know Acs well — they were housed in different homes — but news of his death is shocking.

Miko’s family was rescued from Hungary after being threatened over his agreement to testify in court. They live every day in the shadow of the criminal organization.

“I can’t just move on,” he said, adding that there is “so much hatred inside of me.”

Miko has gone back to school to get his high school equivalency. For now, his family lives together, unable to find work, collecting Ontario Works. It’s not the life he imagined for himself when he chose to come to Canada.

Shelley Gilbert, co-ordinator of social work services at Legal Assistance of Windsor, works with Miko to sort through the “roller-coaster” of emotions caused by “living with the effects of human trafficking.”

She’s also invited him to share his story with social service and justice professionals.

Gilbert said there is “no five-minute solution” to the anxieties and other issues survivors are faced with. That’s why there is a need for long-term intensive case management.

Miko said he hopes to one day work to “save people” like Walk With Me founder Timea Nagy did.

Nagy met the human trafficking victims, including Acs, when they were first rescued and continued to support them throughout the court cases. At the time, the Hamilton-based human trafficking rescue organization was just getting started and Nagy largely worked out of her car and got calls on her cellphone at all hours.

Nagy, a native of Hungary and sex trafficking survivor, helped the victims find shelter and often acted as a translator.

Unlike most other victims who fled to different cities to avoid threats, Acs stayed in Hamilton.

“He was troubled,” Nagy said, adding that he was in and out of shelters.

In recent years, Walk With Me bought a safe house that can house up to five victims at once. However, as awareness about human trafficking grows so too has demand for the organization’s services.

Walk With Me gets about $200,000 in funding every year, but to keep up with demand, Nagy said they really need $400,000. They are currently not accepting new clients in the safe house. They are doing front line victim care, but no longer have the staff to respond at any hour.

There is no network of safe houses or rescue organizations across Canada. Many victims, like Acs, end up in shelters.

Burlington MP Mike Wallace, who chairs the federal government’s justice committee said the government is working to help human trafficking victims.

“Have we done enough? I would say most of us would say no, we could do more. But we are actually taking action to make that happen,” he said this week.

Wallace pointed to changes to Canada’s immigration law that allow human trafficking victims to be fast-tracked to permanent resident status.

This law change has allowed the Hungarian victims to stay in Canada.

Wallace also noted the victim bill of rights, which will be debated in the fall. He said this will make victims “part of judicial system to give them a voice.”

 

noreilly@thespec.com

905-526-3199 | @NicoleatTheSpec

Hungarian Roma human traffickers deported from Canada

Josh Elliott, CTVNews.ca
Published Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:48AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:56PM EDT

The federal government has announced that 20 members of a large human trafficking ring based out of Hamilton, Ont. have been deported from Canada.

The 20 deported individuals were members of the Domotor-Kolompar ring and helped run the largest proven human trafficking ring in Canada, according to the statement put out by the border agency. As of Tuesday, at least 22 members of this ring have been convicted on human trafficking charges, the BSA has confirmed. All but two were deported.

The Domotor-Kolompar family brought Hungarians from their hometown to Canada with the promise of work and a better life in the Hamilton area, Canadian officials said. But the Hungarians who came over were subjected to brutal living conditions without adequate food and forced to work construction jobs for free. The human traffickers used intimidation and threats of violence to keep their victims in line, officials said.

“This flagrant abuse of persons in our immigration system demanded a strong response,” Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney said in a news conference Tuesday. Continue reading

CALGARY: Two facing murder charges in fatal beating of Ayuen Ajak Goot

Two facing murder charges in beating death 

BY  ,CALGARY SUN

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

Police say an ongoing dispute led to the beating death of a man in front of a southeast strip mall.

Two men are facing murder charges following the slaying of the 18-year-old Calgarian.

On July 5 about 3:40 a.m., they arrived at a strip mall at 2936 Radcliffe Dr. S.E. where they found an unconscious man in life-threatening condition, said Staff Sgt. Colin Chisholm of the homicide unit.

It was not a random assault, he added.

“The victim and suspects were known to each other and had a long-standing dispute over a number of things,” said Chisholm.

Police, he said, couldn’t say if the confrontation was drug or gang-related.

The man identified as Ayuen Ajak Goot, or Devon Goot, died late Tuesday in hospital from head injuries.

Cause of death has been deemed blunt force trauma. Continue reading

Toronto: Floozy Sabrina Siconolfi gets 6 years behind bars in death of two-year-old daughter, Sakina Abdurahman

Toronto mom sentenced to 6 years for daughter’s death

Sabrina Siconolfi sentenced for criminal negligence in the death of her two-year-old daughter, Sakina Abdurahman.

Abdalla Abdurahman and wife Sabrina Siconolfi sit with their child daughter Sakina in a Facebook photo posted in July 2009. The toddler was found dead in the family's apartment in July 2012.

FACEBOOK PHOTO

Abdalla Abdurahman and wife Sabrina Siconolfi sit with their child daughter Sakina in a Facebook photo posted in July 2009. The toddler was found dead in the family’s apartment in July 2012.

By:  Crime, Published on Fri Sep 06 2013
  • inShare0
  • Reddit this!

Sabrina Siconolfi blinked back tears and looked over her shoulder at her parents as she was led from court in handcuffs to begin a 6-year-sentence for criminal negligence in the death of her two-year-old daughter, Sakina Abdurahman.

It was the first strong display of emotion on Friday in the University Ave. courthouse for Siconolfi, 32, who earlier begged Justice Ian Nordheimer to return her to her three surviving children. Continue reading

Brampton, Ont.: Federick Gayle and Elizabeth Gayle guilty of first-degree murder in death of 15-year-old daughter Tiffany Gayle

 

Murderer Elizabeth Gayle

Ontario parents found guilty in grisly murder of teen Tiffany Gayle
By Matthew Coutts | Daily Brew – 17 hours ago

A court sketch shows murder victim Tiffany Gayle’s parents, Federick, and stepmother Elizabeth Gayle. She came to Canada to be with her family,
but there is little indication that she found a home here, not even for a moment.

Tiffany Gayle, a 15-year-old girl who moved to Brampton, Ont., from Jamaica, was found dead in June 2010, beaten and left in a bloody bathtub just 17 months after coming to Canada to live with her father and stepmother. Continue reading

Nova Scotia Home for Colored Children at centre of lawsuit with allegations of physical and sexual abuse

 

‘The Nova Scotia Home for Colored Children’ is at the centre of a lawsuit and a controversy with allegations of physical and sexual abuse stretching back decades. Three former residents tell their story to CBC’s The Current. (CBC)

 

Two girls work on crafts in the Nova Scotia Home for Colored Children, while a caretaker helps them. (Courtesy Nova Scotia Archives)

Abuse Allegations: The Nova Scotia Home for Colored Children
WARNING: Parts of the following discussion are graphic and disturbing
CBC News Posted: Nov 7, 2012 2:39 PM AT Last Updated: Nov 12, 2012 6:20 PM AT
‘The Nova Scotia Home for Colored Children’ is at the centre of a lawsuit and a controversy with allegations of physical and sexual abuse stretching back decades. Three former residents tell their story to CBC’s The Current. (CBC) Facebook

It is a shelter for young people with a name from the past that can still make you flinch: “The Nova Scotia Home for Colored Children” is at the centre of a lawsuit and a controversy with allegations of physical and sexual abuse stretching back decades. The Current hears from three former residents and from the Nova Scotia government minister responsible for the file. Continue reading

Vancouver: Charged with human trafficking, Reza Moazami now facing additional charges

 

Reza Moazami accused of pimping girls as young as 14-years-old
Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/accused-pimp-posed-as-woman-on-facebook-docs-1.935102#ixzz2GNeVmMqE

Human trafficking suspect faces additional charges
CBC News Posted: Dec 28, 2012 10:02 AM PT Last Updated: Dec 28, 2012 11:40 AM PT
A Vancouver man facing human trafficking charges is now facing additional charges after allegedly breaching his court-ordered conditions.

Reza Moazami, 28, was arrested last year and charged with a number of criminal offences, including trafficking, sexual exploitation and living off the avails of a juvenile.

Vancouver police say Moazami was arrested on Dec. 18 after he allegedly contacted one of his victims through other people.

He has been charged with breach of a court order and obstruction of justice.

A 22-year-old woman and a 30-year-old man were also arrested as a result of the investigation.

Pimp Jamal Forde-Beckles pleads guilty, gets 1 year


Jamal Forde-Beckles, 24, of Markham, pleaded guilty on Wednesday in Ontario Superior Court to living off the avails and beating a woman he met in Mississauga in 2010. He was sentenced to a year in jail.

Young Markham pimp pleads guilty, gets 1 year
Published on Wednesday December 19, 2012

TORONTO POLICE HANDOUT
Jamal Forde-Beckles, 24, of Markham, pleaded guilty on Wednesday in Ontario Superior Court to living off the avails and beating a woman he met in Mississauga in 2010. He was sentenced to a year in jail.
Peter Small
Courts Bureau

A Markham man has pleaded guilty to living off the avails of a woman he met at a Mississauga strip club.

Jamal Forde-Beckles must serve a further four months and 21 days after Ontario Superior Court Justice Jane Kelly sentenced him to a year in jail Wednesday, deducting time he has already served. Continue reading

Lunch supervisor Karla Martinez arrested and charged with assaulting five children

 

Karla Martinez, 34, a lunch supervisor at Essex Junior Public School, leaves Old City Hall court after getting bail on Friday. Martinez was arrested and charged with five counts of assaulting children at the school during their lunch hour.

Lunchroom supervisor charged with assaulting five students
Published on Friday December 07, 2012 Share on twitter
Share on facebook

BERNARD WEIL/TORONTO STAR
Karla Martinez, 34, a lunch supervisor at Essex Junior Public School, leaves Old City Hall court after getting bail on Friday. Martinez was arrested and charged with five counts of assaulting children at the school during their lunch hour.
Andrew Livingstone, Jennifer Pagliaro and Alexandra Bosanac
Staff Reporters

A lunch supervisor who allegedly straddled an 8-year-old boy and clawed at his face in a Christie Pit’s school playground before attacking four other children was released from custody for a mental health assessment Friday. Continue reading

An immigration database