Category Archives: Crime by family members

MONTREAL: Ethics committee resumes hearing into police actions in 2010 murder of Maria Altagracia Dorval by estranged husband, Edens Kenol

Ethics committee resumes hearing into police actions in 2010 murder

Published on: Last Updated: 

Maria Altagracia Dorval, a 28-year-old mother of three, was killed in her Montreal North apartment a week after she went to police for help.

Montreal Gazette File Photo

The highest-ranking police officer of the five cited for breach of ethics in the Montreal police department’s handling of the late Maria Altagracia Dorval’s complaint against her abusive husband testified Monday at the Police Ethics Committee hearings into the case.

Dorval, a 28-year-old mother of three, was killed in her Montreal North apartment a week after she went to police for help. Her case has become a symbol of the justice system’s inadequate response to conjugal violence victims, and has already resulted in some changes to police procedures when dealing with spousal abuse cases.

The hearing, ordered back in August of 2011, has been delayed by the appointment of a new committee chair and by the illness of at least one of the officers cited.

Dorval was murdered on Oct. 17, 2010, six days after she reported to police that her estranged husband, Edens Kenol, had threatened to kill her and their three children two months earlier. She reported that more recently he had been following her, banging on her apartment door and harassing her by phone.

No police detective had responded to Dorval’s complaint by the time of her murder. Kenol was convicted of first degree murder in the spring of 2013, and is serving a life sentence with no chance of parole until 2038.

On Monday, Sgt. Det. Marcel Thifault testified that he was handed the Dorval file at about 11:30 a.m. on Oct. 12, the day after Dorval had made her report. The controller, who assigns cases at the eastern Montreal investigation centre, told Thifault this was an “urgent” case. Thifault said he quickly skimmed the file, and when he saw it contained allegations of death threats against the woman and her three children, he quickly handed it to a detective on duty.

That detective, who is not cited in the ethics breach, came back moments later to tell Thifault that the incident regarding the death threats had taken place two months earlier, on Aug. 16.

“At that moment, I asked myself why this victim waited from Aug. 16 until Oct. 11 to report this,” Thifault testified. “I decided to read the whole file. … I thought if she was really afraid for her life that day, as soon as (Kenol) left she would have called the police. I noticed that since Aug. 16, the suspect had not posed any similar gestures.” Continue reading

TORONTO: Musa Yusuf killed by Guled Yusuf, his nephew

Published Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:12AM EST

A 22-year-old has been charged with second degree murder after his uncle was found dead in an apartment building.

At approximately 8:40 p.m. on Tuesday, Toronto police were called to an apartment building at 100 High Park Ave., near Bloor and Keele Streets.

Police found a 52-year-old man suffering serious stab wounds, and were told by witnesses that an assault had taken place on the sixth floor of the building.

The man, identified on Thursday as Musa Yusuf, was rushed to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

A suspect was located and arrested a few kilometres from the scene, police said.

In a statement on Thursday, police said that Guled Yusuf, 22, has been charged with second-degree murder. Guled was Musa’s nephew, police said.

Anyone with more information is asked to call police at 416-808-7400, or call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477 (TIPS).

Read more: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/nephew-charged-in-fatal-high-park-stabbing-1.2143160#ixzz3LbY62rim

OTTAWA: Eritrean couple Yassin Mender and Alem Haile were known to police

Ottawa woman’s name added to a long list of spousal murder-suicide victims

Published on: Last Updated: 
Pat McGrath / Ottawa Citizen

On the same weekend Canadians marked the 25th anniversary of the Montreal Massacre, in which 14 women were murdered, Ottawans were informed of the identity of yet another woman’s death at the hands of a man.

Alem Haile was found stabbed to death in the basement of her Gloucester home early Thursday morning. Police also found the hanged body of her husband, Yassin Mender, in the house. Investigators described the deaths as murder-suicide — the city’s seventh homicide of the year. The couple, aged 51 and 60, respectively, had three children. Continue reading

OTTAWA: Yassin Mender kills wife, then hangs himself

Police confirm Beaconwood was murder-suicide, release victim’s identity

Published on: Last Updated: 

The Ottawa police Major Crime Section confirmed Saturday night that the deaths in Beaconwood Village on Thursday morning that left three children without parents were a murder-suicide.

Police identified Alem Haile, 51, as the victim of Ottawa’s seventh homicide of 2014.

The body of Yassin Mender, 60, the husband of the victim, was also found at the scene, but foul play was not suspected in his death.

Police and paramedics were called to a townhouse at 2022 Beaconwood Dr. in a Minto-run rental neighbourhood Thursday around 6:30 a.m. after 16-year-old Ben Mender discovered his parents’ bodies in the family home. His mother had been stabbed to death and the person responsible, his father, was found hanging. Continue reading

TORONTO: Vigil planned for victims of Thorncliffe Park honour killing

Vigil planned for victims of triple murder in Thorncliffe Park

Global News - Web Producer - James ArmstrongBy Web Producer  Global News
December 2, 2014 5:15 pm
Updated: December 2, 2014 8:44 pm

WATCH ABOVE: A vigil was held Tuesday to mourn the murder of a mother and two sons.

TORONTO – Residents of a Thorncliffe Park apartment building where three people were found dead over the weekend are planning a vigil for the victims Tuesday evening.

The vigil will be at 6 p.m. in front of 85 Thorncliffe Park Drive.

Police identified the three victims as a public health nurse Zahra Mohamoud Abdille, 43, and her two sons Faris Abdille, 13, and Zain Abdille, 8.

The three were found dead inside the apartment near Don Mills Road and Overlea Boulevard on Saturday.

Police are probing a possible connection between the murders and a body found on the Don Valley Parkway the same day.

_______________

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2014/12/20141203-162117.html

Triple-homicide victims family of man who died on DVP

  • 4:21 pm, December 3rd, 2014

TORONTO: Man who fell to his death on DVP identified as Yusuf Osman Abdille, husband and father of woman and boys killed in their Thorncliffe Park apartment

TORONTO – Investigators now confirm the man who fell to his death on the DVP over the weekend is the husband and father of the woman and two young boys found slain in their Toronto apartment hours later.

Toronto Police say the man fell from the Millwood Bridge onto the southbound lanes of the Don Valley Parkway shortly after 1 p.m. Saturday and was struck by a Toyota Prius.

“The man suffered fatal injuries and died at the scene,” Const. Clint Stibbe said in a statement released Wednesday.

Several hours after the man fell to his death, investigators went to notify his next-of-kin at a highrise.

Zahra Abdille, 43, and her two sons, Faris, 13, and Zain, 8, were found murdered inside the family’s third-floor apartment.

The dead man has now been identified as Yusuf Osman Abdille, 50, of Toronto.

“His involvement in the homicides is still being investigated,” Stribbe said.

TORONTO: Zahra Abdille and her two sons victims of apparent “honour” killing on Canadian soil

Slain nurse moved family to women’s shelter, says its boss

Zahra Abdille, found dead with her two sons on Saturday, had fled a violent relationship and stayed in a safe house with her two young children last year, according to the executive director of Dr. Roz’s Healing Place.

  • Share on Facebook
  • Reddit this!
Zahra Abdille, left, and her eldest son Faris.Zahra Abdille, left, and her eldest son Faris.
By:  Staff Reporter,  Staff Reporter, Published on Tue Dec 02 2014

A slain Toronto nurse fled a violent relationship to stay with her two young sons in a safe house while she tried to gain custody of her children last year, according to abused women’s centre Dr. Roz’s Healing Place.

On Saturday afternoon, Zahra Abdille, 43, and her sons, Faris, 13, and Zain, 8, were found dead in the same East York apartment they ran from last July, the centre’s executive director Roz Roach told the Star Tuesday.

Roach said the family stayed in the centre’s shelter for three weeks while Abdille battled for the custody of her children.

During her stay at the centre, the Toronto Public Health nurse went to court twice to fight for custody, but Abdille did not qualify for legal aid and could not afford a lawyer, Roach said.

When Abdille and her sons arrived at the centre on July 10, she told staff she was running away from a long-term violent relationship, Roach, who has a PhD in health and human sciences, said.

Abdille had escaped war-torn Somalia and arrived into Toronto in the late 1990s. She had no family in Canada, Roach said.

Roach says Abdille’s file Dr. Roz’s Healing Place states that she met her partner in 1997 and the couple married a year later in Toronto. Continue reading

TORONTO: Zahra Mohamoud Abdille, Faris Abdille and Zain Abdille identified as victims of triple homicide at Thorncliffe Park apartment

CBC News Posted: Dec 01, 2014 6:12 PM ET Last Updated: Dec 01, 2014 6:17 PM ET

Toronto police said a mother and her two school-aged sons were the victims of the triple homicide at a Thorncliffe Park apartment.

On Saturday, paramedics said they responded to a call at an apartment unit at 85 Thorncliffe Park Dr. where they discovered the bodies of three people.

Police identified the three victims on Monday as Zahra Mohamoud Abdille, 43, Faris Abdille, 13, and Zain Abdille, 8.

TDSB spokesperson Ryan Bird told CBC News that the elder boy was a student at Westwood Middle School in East York, while brother attended William Burgess Elementary School.

Police said they continue to probe whether a death on the Don Valley Parkway Saturday that shut down traffic for a large swath of the day is related.

Lawyers slam Chris Alexander for commenting on Nasira Fazli murder case still before courts

‘There used to be a presumption of innocence in this country but I don’t know what happened to it’

By Colin Perkel, The Canadian Press Posted: Nov 06, 2014 5:22 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 06, 2014 5:22 PM ET

Criminal defence lawyers are dismayed that Immigration Minister Chris Alexander publicly branded a man charged with killing his wife a murderer before his trial.

Alexander brought up the case of Nasira Fazli this week as he talked publicly about the need for legislation to crack down on so-called “honour” killings and polygamy among immigrants.

“Not much more than one year ago, she was killed — 48 stab wounds — by her husband, Feraidon Mohammad Ibrahem, who had been in this country only for a few months, sponsored by her,” Alexander told a news conference at a women’s centre in west-end Toronto.

“While what he did is clearly a crime, among the gravest crimes that can be committed and that he is facing the full consequences of the law for murder, this was also a barbaric cultural practice in that he felt that he had been dishonoured by her ability to be independent.”

Alexander went on to say that “that kind of behaviour by any immigrant, by any Canadian, is unacceptable.”

Fazli, 31, of Ajax, Ont., was found stabbed to death in July 2013.

Ibrahem’s preliminary inquiry wrapped up last month and he has yet to stand trial for first-degree murder. Continue reading

SURREY,B.C.: Serial killer Charles Kembo loses conviction appeal

Four-time Surrey murderer loses conviction appeal

Charles Kembo was found guilty in 2010 of the first-degree murder of four people. He lost an appeal of those convictions this week. - File Photo / The Leader

Charles Kembo was found guilty in 2010 of the first-degree murder of four people. He lost an appeal of those convictions this week.

— Image Credit: File Photo / The Leader

A Surrey man found guilty of the planned murders of four people, including his wife and step-daughter, has lost an appeal of his convictions.

A jury found Charles Eli Kembo guilty of four counts of first-degree murder in 2010. He sought to have those convictions overturned on the grounds the judge made numerous errors, including in her instructions to the jury, combining the evidence of the different murder counts and admitting prejudicial portions of a police statement and referring to that statement as a confession. Continue reading