Category Archives: Crime involving children/teenagers

ETOBICOKE: Zaid Yousif killed in targeted shooting, police said

Victim’s mother says he went to watch fight, ended up being shot and killed

CBC News Posted: Oct 07, 2014 2:37 PM ET Last Updated: Oct 07, 2014 7:02 PM ET

Things were looking good for Zaid Yousif.

He had just turned 17 last Friday and been given a BMW to drive. That followed a recent trip to Europe to visit family.

Yousif was in his last year of high school and holding down a part-time job at Canadian Tire, saving up money for the future.

“Zaid was on the road to success,” his friend Munir Andreyos said in an interview with CBC News on Tuesday.

But days after his birthday, Yousif, a student at Don Bosco Catholic Secondary School, was dead. The teenager was one of two high-school students shot dead in northwest Toronto in a shocking double homicide on Monday.

Ziad YousifZaid Yousif, 17, was shot dead in northwest Toronto on Monday afternoon. (Yousif family)

Toronto police said the shooting that killed Yousif and a student from James Cardinal McGuigan Catholic High School was targeted.

But Yousif’s mother, Jina Samouie, told CBC News on Tuesday that police had told her Yousif had gone to watch a fight and attempted to flee when guns came out.

“They said in the newspaper … they killed him, like, not by accident, but this is not right,” she said.

Andreyos said that Yousif wasn’t someone who went looking for a fight.

“He wasn’t a bully, he was nothing like that,” he said. Continue reading

ETOBICOKE: Zaid Yousif and Michael Menjivar killed in fatal shooting

Zaid Yousif, 17, and Michael Menjivar, 15, shot and killed

CBC News Posted: Oct 07, 2014 8:06 AM ET Last Updated: Oct 07, 2014 4:08 PM ET

The two young males who died in a shooting near a school in northwest Toronto yesterday afternoon were high school students, a school board official confirmed today.

Friends and family have identified the slain Don Bosco Catholic Secondary School student as Zaid Yousif, 17. Friends of the second victim identified him as Michael Menjivar, 15, a student at James Cardinal McGuigan Catholic High School.

The shooting Monday happened behind an apartment building near two schools, in the area of Dixon Road and Islington Avenue, just after 12:30 p.m. ET. Both schools were put into either lockdown, or hold and secure mode. Continue reading

BURNABY, B.C.: 16-year-old Surrey male accused of gunning down Aladdin Ramadan near Brentwood Mall

Teen charged with fatal shooting near Brentwood Mall

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/teen-charged-with-fatal-shooting-near-brentwood-mall-1.2038084#ixzz3FHzV4vTD

CTV Vancouver
Published Friday, October 3, 2014 11:03AM PDT
Last Updated Friday, October 3, 2014 8:06PM PDT

The teen facing charges for a fatal shooting near a Burnaby mall was carrying a loaded handgun at the time of his arrest, say homicide investigators.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be named because of his age, is accused of gunning down Aladdin Ramadan last week.

The body of the 20-year-old was found in front of a black Infiniti G37 near the intersection of Lougheed Highway and Rosser Avenue, close to Brentwood Mall, and residents reported hearing three shots in quick succession.

 The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says the suspect was taken into custody in Surrey Thursday night, with help from the Burnaby RCMP and a tactical team.

Charges of second-degree murder have been approved, says IHIT.

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/teen-charged-with-fatal-shooting-near-brentwood-mall-1.2038084#ixzz3FHyqXKKk

______________

http://www.darpanmagazine.com/news/national/aladdin-ramadan-homicide-surrey-teen-charged-with-seconddegree-murder/

ABBOTSFORD, B.C.: Harwindip Singh Baringh killed in apparent drive-in shooting

Neighbours heard up to six shots fired as a young man was killed in Abbotsford Thursday evening.
(…)
CTV Vancouver
Published Friday, October 3, 2014 2:34AM PDT
Last Updated Friday, October 3, 2014 8:05PM PDT

(…)

Witnesses found the victim, identified as 18-year-old Harwindip Singh Baringh, slumped over the steering wheel of a dark SUV.

“The passenger-side door was open. Car was just sitting there running, guy bleeding everywhere,” Daniel Lockhart said. “He honestly seemed like he was alive for the first 10 or 15 minutes.”

Police on scene of an apparent drive-by shooting that ended the life of a male believed to be in his late teens.

Abbotsford police received a flurry of 911 calls but the suspect was gone before officers arrived in the residential neighbourhood.

Baringh was pronounced dead at the scene.

A crowd of people formed outside after the shooting, and neighbour Raj Gill said the victim’s family was among them.

(…)

A motive hasn’t been established in the killing, but investigators believe it was targeted.

Const. Ian MacDonald said it appears Baringh was killed in a drive-by shooting.

“Witnesses indicated that two vehicles left the area at a high rate of speed,” MacDonald said. “We searched the area for any other victims and any other suspects that might be involved in this shooting.”

Officers are searching for a white Acura TL and a dark-coloured sedan. No arrests have been made.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team was called to help probe the shooting, which marked the third case IHIT took on in just 24 hours in the Lower Mainland.

Anyone with information on the killing is asked to call the IHIT tip line at 1-877-551-4448 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

With files from CTV Vancouver’s Michele Brunoro

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/victim-of-deadly-abbotsford-shooting-id-d-as-teenager-1.2036895#ixzz3FHvDUyiB

______________

http://www.voiceonline.com/young-male-shot-dead-in-suv-in-west-abbotsford/

ABBOTSFORD, B.C.: Ongoing conflict between two Indo-Canadian groups in the Fraser Valley leaves young Sikh man dead

Friday, October 3rd, 2014 | Posted by admin

Teen Shot To Death In Abbotsford’s Ongoing Conflict Between Two Indo-Canadian Groups

Police on scene of an apparent drive-by shooting that ended the life of an Indo-Canadian in his late teens.

Homicide investigators in the Lower Mainland have been busy of late with murders taking place all over the lower mainland and now in the Fraser Valley with this latest killing of young Indo-Canadian which the LINK has learned is Herman Biring, the son of Sukhjivan Singh Biring “Thakra”,  who is also known as a promoter of Punjabi shows in the Abbotsford area.

By R. Paul Dhillon

With News Files

ABBOTSFORD – A drive-by shooting in Abbotsford left a young man dead, who sources out of Abbotsford say is an Indo-Canadian in his late teens

(…)

Sources tell the LINK that Herman Biring is the victim of ongoing conflict between two Indo-Canadian groups in the Fraser Valley, which police had earlier warned would get more violent and feared people dying as a result of the continuing escalation

Police responded to the area around Sparrow Drive and Goldfinch Street in the city just after 8 p.m.

They found a male, believed to be in his late teens, slumped over inside a dark coloured SUV and suffering from apparent gunshot wounds, reported CTV News.

He was pronounced dead on scene. Continue reading

TORONTO: Paedophile Ryan Belbin convicted of abducting, assaulting 4-year-old Jewish girl

Man convicted of abducting, assaulting 4-year-old girl
BY , TORONTO SUN

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

Ryan Belbin

Ryan Belbin. (TORONTO POLICE PHOTO)

TORONTO - A man who snuck into an unlocked home, abducted a four-year-old girl from her bed and sexually assaulted her on Boxing Day 2011, was found guilty of all charges Thursday.

Ryan Belbin — who had no prior criminal convictions — snatched the sleeping girl at 3 a.m., stripped her naked and was “hunkering over” the child in a North York backyard when the panicked victim’s father discovered the horrifying sight, Justice Nola Garton said in a written judgment.

Belbin, 30, will be sentenced for breaking and entering, abduction of a minor, sexual assault and sexual interference on Nov. 27.

Garton found that the alternative suspects suggested by defence lawyer Jennifer Penman — the victim’s father and another neighbour — weren’t the culprits and Crown attorney Sheila Cressman proved Belbin was the offender.

(…)

The judge found that Belbin stopped his attack when the victim’s father screamed. Belbin then sprinted eastbound in the Bathurst-Wilson area.

The hysterical father cradled his child in his arms and returned to his parents’ home — where the family was visiting from Connecticut.

Belbin’s DNA was found on the victim’s pyjamas but it couldn’t be determined what “particular bodily fluid was the source,” said Garton.

Penman argued that Belbin’s DNA — either from spit or urine on the ground — could have been innocently transferred on to the clothing during the assault.

Belbin, who lived in close proximity to the victim’s relatives, delivered newspapers in the area until two weeks before the incident.

___________

http://www.cireport.ca/2011/12/4-year-old-jewish-girl-released-from-hospital-after-being-raped.html

NORTH YORK: RAPED 4-YEAR-OLD JEWISH GIRL RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL

4-year-old sexual assault victim released from hospital
Published 1 hour 16 minutes ago
Josh Tapper

Staff Reporter

A 4-year-old girl abducted from a north Toronto home and sexually assaulted was released from hospital on Tuesday.

The girl, who was visiting with family from Connecticut, was abducted early Monday morning from her grandparents’ home on Charleswood Dr., near Bathurst St. and Wilson Ave. While police released few details on the kidnapping or assault, a woman who identified herself as the girl’s grandmother said the ordeal “had a happy ending,” referring to her granddaughter’s discharge from hospital.

“By the grace of God,” she said, standing inside her doorway Tuesday morning.

As a cold rain drizzled outside, neighbours visited the house, which belongs to an orthodox Jewish family.

Police said a man grabbed the girl between 3 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. Monday. Family discovered the girl a short distance from the house “within minutes of the abduction and saw a man fleeing the scene,” police said.

Police did not confirm a sexual assault occurred until Monday evening.

The suspect is described as a white man, 19 or 20 years old, with an average build, between 5-foot-6 and 5-foot-10. He was last seen wearing a blue jacket or sweatshirt, dark sweatpants or jeans and striped, bluish toque.

(…)

VANCOUVER: Family of murderer Ninderjit Singh payS $150,000 so he could obtain illegal documents in the United States

Family of Vancouver teen’s killer paid $150,000 to help him flee country, says crown counsel

Published: March 27, 2013

Ninderjit SIngh

A photo illustration show how one-time fugitive Ninderjit SIngh changed his appearance over the 12 years he was hiding out in the U.S. after shooting and killing ex-girlfriend Poonam Randhawa. PNG files

KEITH FRASER
VANCOUVER DESI

The family of murderer Ninderjit Singh colluded with him in his efforts to evade police, paying $150,000 so he could obtain illegal documents in the United States.

After Singh fatally shot Vancouver teen Poonam Randhawa, he fled to California, where he eluded police for the next 12 years.

At his sentencing hearing Wednesday, Crown counsel Sandy Cunningham said that while in New York state, Singh obtained the necessary documents to become a different person.

“His family paid $150,000 to obtain the illegally forged identification,” Cunningham told B.C. Supreme Court Justice Bruce Butler. Continue reading

TORONTO: Sivakumar Sivagnanam, 63, arrested in sexual assault of 12-year-old girl

News Release header

Broadcast time: 08:34
Friday, August 29, 2014

42 Division
416-808-7474

The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest in a Sexual Assault investigation.

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014, at approximately 10 a.m., a girl, 12, was in her home in the Morningside Avenue and Ellesmere Road area.

It is alleged that:

- she answered a knock at the door

- a man entered the home and sexually assaulted her

Sivakumar Sivagnanam, 63, of Toronto, was arrested. He is charged with: 

1) two counts of Being Unlawfully in a Dwelling 
2) two counts of Sexual Assault 
3) two counts of Sexual Interference 
4) Forcible Confinement 

He appeared in court at 1911 Eglinton Avenue East on Thursday, August 28, 2014, 10 a.m., courtroom 412.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7474, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook. Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World. 

For more news, visit TPSnews.ca.


Constable David Hopkinson, Corporate Communications, for Detective Hunter Smith, Sex Crimes

 

SURREY,B.C.: Serial killer Charles Kembo loses conviction appeal

Four-time Surrey murderer loses conviction appeal

Charles Kembo was found guilty in 2010 of the first-degree murder of four people. He lost an appeal of those convictions this week. - File Photo / The Leader

Charles Kembo was found guilty in 2010 of the first-degree murder of four people. He lost an appeal of those convictions this week.

— Image Credit: File Photo / The Leader

A Surrey man found guilty of the planned murders of four people, including his wife and step-daughter, has lost an appeal of his convictions.

A jury found Charles Eli Kembo guilty of four counts of first-degree murder in 2010. He sought to have those convictions overturned on the grounds the judge made numerous errors, including in her instructions to the jury, combining the evidence of the different murder counts and admitting prejudicial portions of a police statement and referring to that statement as a confession. Continue reading

TORONTO: Alhaji Kabba wanted in Kijiji beating

4 Held, Beaten, Threatened With Machete While Responding To Kijiji Ad

CBC  |  Posted: 07/19/2014 1:02 pm EDT  |  Updated: 07/19/2014 5:59 pm EDT

alhaji kabba kijiji beating

Police are searching for a man who forcibly held and beat four young people while threatening them with a machete after they met him in response to a Kijiji ad.

Police said an 18-year-old man, along with three friends, went to meet another man in the Jane Street and Grandravine Drive area about a car for sale on the website Kijiji on Monday, July 14.

It is alleged that the four met the man in an underground garage and were shown the car before being surrounded by a group men who appeared quite suddenly.

(…)

Alhaji Kabba, 18, of Toronto is wanted for:

- Robbery with a Firearm

- Forcible Confinement

- Extortion

- Assault with a Weapon

- Aggravated Assault

- Fail to Comply Recognizance

He is described as black, 6-1″, 180 lbs., with black hair and brown eyes. His photograph has been released and is shown above.

Police are urging the public to call 911 if they see him and not to approach the man as he is considered armed and dangerous.