Category Archives: Stabbing/Fatal stabbing

TORONTO: Musa Yusuf killed by Guled Yusuf, his nephew

Published Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:12AM EST

A 22-year-old has been charged with second degree murder after his uncle was found dead in an apartment building.

At approximately 8:40 p.m. on Tuesday, Toronto police were called to an apartment building at 100 High Park Ave., near Bloor and Keele Streets.

Police found a 52-year-old man suffering serious stab wounds, and were told by witnesses that an assault had taken place on the sixth floor of the building.

The man, identified on Thursday as Musa Yusuf, was rushed to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

A suspect was located and arrested a few kilometres from the scene, police said.

In a statement on Thursday, police said that Guled Yusuf, 22, has been charged with second-degree murder. Guled was Musa’s nephew, police said.

Anyone with more information is asked to call police at 416-808-7400, or call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477 (TIPS).

Read more: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/nephew-charged-in-fatal-high-park-stabbing-1.2143160#ixzz3LbY62rim

OTTAWA: Eritrean couple Yassin Mender and Alem Haile were known to police

Ottawa woman’s name added to a long list of spousal murder-suicide victims

Published on: Last Updated: 
Pat McGrath / Ottawa Citizen

On the same weekend Canadians marked the 25th anniversary of the Montreal Massacre, in which 14 women were murdered, Ottawans were informed of the identity of yet another woman’s death at the hands of a man.

Alem Haile was found stabbed to death in the basement of her Gloucester home early Thursday morning. Police also found the hanged body of her husband, Yassin Mender, in the house. Investigators described the deaths as murder-suicide — the city’s seventh homicide of the year. The couple, aged 51 and 60, respectively, had three children. Continue reading

OTTAWA: Yassin Mender kills wife, then hangs himself

Police confirm Beaconwood was murder-suicide, release victim’s identity

Published on: Last Updated: 

The Ottawa police Major Crime Section confirmed Saturday night that the deaths in Beaconwood Village on Thursday morning that left three children without parents were a murder-suicide.

Police identified Alem Haile, 51, as the victim of Ottawa’s seventh homicide of 2014.

The body of Yassin Mender, 60, the husband of the victim, was also found at the scene, but foul play was not suspected in his death.

Police and paramedics were called to a townhouse at 2022 Beaconwood Dr. in a Minto-run rental neighbourhood Thursday around 6:30 a.m. after 16-year-old Ben Mender discovered his parents’ bodies in the family home. His mother had been stabbed to death and the person responsible, his father, was found hanging. Continue reading

TORONTO: Brent Nisula, Nicholas Brennan, and Brandon Wilson arrested in stabbing death of Mohamed Yay

CBC News Posted: Nov 28, 2014 4:39 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 28, 2014 4:39 PM ET

Three men have been arrested in the stabbing death of a Toronto man.

Mohamed Yay, 40, was found by police in the area of The West Mall and Holiday Drive, near a Toronto Community Housing building in Etobicoke, at about 3 a.m. on Aug. 9. He had multiple stab sounds and died on the scene, marking the city’s 25th homicide of the year.

Investigators from 22 Division arrested and charged three men with second-degree murder on Thursday:

  • Brent Nisula, 23, of Toronto.
  • Nicholas Brennan, 24, of Toronto.
  • Brandon Wilson, 24, of Mississauga.

They were scheduled to appear in court on Friday.

MISSISSAUGA: Morad Maher Thatcher arrested in Tim Horton random stabbing

  • Share on Facebook
  • Reddit this!
By: Sam Colbert Staff Reporter, Published on Mon Nov 17 2014

A man has been arrested in connection with a stabbing at a Mississauga restaurant Friday afternoon.

The victim was sitting with friends at the Tim Hortons and Wendy’s at Britannia Rd. and Terry Fox Way at around 12:30 p.m. when a suspect approached him from behind and allegedly stabbed him, according to Peel Regional Police. The suspect fled southwest across Britannia Rd. to a townhouse complex.

The victim was taken to Credit Valley Hospital with multiple stab wounds, paramedics said at the time.

Police arrested 21-year-old Morad Maher Thatcher of Mississauga on Monday. He has been charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon.

He will appear in court in Brampton Tuesday morning.

TORONTO: T’neal David Ayodeji-Dinnall charged in Canada’s Wonderland killing

Man charged in Canada’s Wonderland killing

The Canadian Press

Published 

Last updated 

An arrest has been made in an attack that left a man dead and another wounded at Canada’s Wonderland north of Toronto last month.

Police say they found the two male victims suffering from stab wounds in the early hours of Oct. 26.

One died at the scene, while the other was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

Eighteen-year-old T’neal David Ayodeji-Dinnall of Toronto is charged with second-degree murder.

He is set to appear in Newmarket court today.

___________

Stabbing at Wonderland kills man, leaves another critical

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/stabbing-at-wonderland-kills-man-leaves-another-critical-1.2813619

 

Lawyers slam Chris Alexander for commenting on Nasira Fazli murder case still before courts

‘There used to be a presumption of innocence in this country but I don’t know what happened to it’

By Colin Perkel, The Canadian Press Posted: Nov 06, 2014 5:22 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 06, 2014 5:22 PM ET

Criminal defence lawyers are dismayed that Immigration Minister Chris Alexander publicly branded a man charged with killing his wife a murderer before his trial.

Alexander brought up the case of Nasira Fazli this week as he talked publicly about the need for legislation to crack down on so-called “honour” killings and polygamy among immigrants.

“Not much more than one year ago, she was killed — 48 stab wounds — by her husband, Feraidon Mohammad Ibrahem, who had been in this country only for a few months, sponsored by her,” Alexander told a news conference at a women’s centre in west-end Toronto.

“While what he did is clearly a crime, among the gravest crimes that can be committed and that he is facing the full consequences of the law for murder, this was also a barbaric cultural practice in that he felt that he had been dishonoured by her ability to be independent.”

Alexander went on to say that “that kind of behaviour by any immigrant, by any Canadian, is unacceptable.”

Fazli, 31, of Ajax, Ont., was found stabbed to death in July 2013.

Ibrahem’s preliminary inquiry wrapped up last month and he has yet to stand trial for first-degree murder. Continue reading

KELOWNA, B.C.: Tyler Jack Newton charged in fatal bus stabbing

Caesar Rosales, Kelowna bus stabbing victim, remembered

Tyler Newton is charged with second degree murder, after Rosales was stabbed on a busy bus Thursday night

CBC News Posted: Nov 03, 2014 7:08 AM PT Last Updated: Nov 03, 2014 11:59 AM PT

Caesar Rosales walking the CN Tower in an undated photo. Rosales, a father of one and aerospace worker, also enjoyed skydiving, bungy jumping and ziplining. He was stabbed to death in a random attack on a city bus in Kelowna, B.C. on Thursday Oct. 30, 2014.

Caesar Rosales walking the CN Tower in an undated photo. Rosales, a father of one and aerospace worker, also enjoyed skydiving, bungy jumping and ziplining. He was stabbed to death in a random attack on a city bus in Kelowna, B.C. on Thursday Oct. 30, 2014. (Google+)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/caesar-rosales-kelowna-bus-stabbing-victim-remembered-1.2821797

The victim of an apparently random attack on a Kelowna city bus has been identified as father of one and aerospace worker, Caesar Rosales.

Tyler Jack Newton, 23, has been charged with the second degree murder of Rosales on Thursday night. He allegedly stabbed Rosales in the neck in an apparently random attack as Newton was leaving the busy bus. Continue reading

VANCOUVER: Sketch of sex assault and stabbing suspect released

Police say a 35-year-old woman was dragged into car, stabbed and sexually assaulted Saturday night

Vancouver sex assault and stabbing: suspect sketch released

CBC News Posted: Oct 28, 2014 8:03 PM PT Last Updated: Oct 29, 2014 7:44 AM PT

Vancouver police have released a composite sketch of the man who allegedly dragged a 35-year-old woman into a car in an East Vancouver alley, then stabbed and sexually assaulted her.

The attack took place at around midnight on Saturday, when the woman was walking in the east lane of Joyce Street near Archimedes Street, a few blocks south of the Joyce-Collingwood SkyTrain station.

She was approached by a man in an older-model dark bluish-green minivan that has tinted side windows and a sliding door on the passenger side.

Police say the man grabbed her and dragged her into the minivan, drove to an area near East 45th Avenue and Rupert Street, and then stabbed her and assaulted her.

“The victim managed to scream and fight off her attacker, but not before receiving serious injuries,” said Vancouver Police Department​ Const. Brian Montague.

The woman was released from hospital on Monday, police said.

VPD investigators believe the man responsible for the attack is in his mid-to-late-40s, possibly Middle Eastern, with an olive skin tone and a heavy, solid build. Interviews with the victim and other witnesses put him at six feet to six feet two inches tall and weighing 250 pounds.

Police say the suspect spoke with an accent and is believed to be balding, with a short, shaved fringe of black hair around the sides and back of his head.

Officers say they have received some tips from the public, but believe others must have seen or heard something in either of those locationsand are asking for those witnesses — including at least two drivers who went by East 45th Avenue near Rupert Street at around the time of the assault — to come forward.

Police are asking anyone who may know or have seen anything to contact the Vancouver Sex Crimes Unit at 604-717-0601.

CALGARY: Homicide victim identified as store owner Maqsood Ahmed

Update: Calgary homicide victim identified as store owner Maqsood Ahmed

Victim stabbed while carrying bag of money, not far from police headquarters

BY , CALGARY SUN

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

Homicide detectives are investigating the stabbing death of a store owner near police headquarters in northeast Calgary Wednesday night.

About 9:45 p.m., emergency crews were called to the 4700 block of Westwinds Dr. N.E. for a report of an assault with a weapon.

The man, whom friends have identified as Maqsood Ahmed, owner of the Calgary Produce Market, was walking with another person when the attack happened, said Det. David Fakas with Calgary police.

Ahmed was carrying a bag of money, though the reason was not immediately known and would be part of the police investigation, said Fakas.

“The older man was stabbed,” Fakas said, adding the victim was taken to hospital in life-threatening condition.

“He was talking and breathing at the scene … once he got to the hospital he succumbed to his injuries.”

RELATED: Ahmed a ‘hard’working, dedicated’ businessman, say friends

Two unknown male suspects fled in a dark vehicle, said Fakas.

It’s believed they may have taken the weapon with them as investigators were not able to locate it at the scene.

“Homicide (unit) is activated and engaged, they’ll be heading the investigation,” said Fakas.

“We’re in the process of checking CCTV footage in the area.”

It was too early to say whether the incident was targeted or random, he said.

jenna.mcmurray@sunmedia.ca

On Twitter: @SunJMac

An immigration database