Category Archives: Domestic violence

OTTAWA: Eritrean couple Yassin Mender and Alem Haile were known to police

Ottawa woman’s name added to a long list of spousal murder-suicide victims

Published on: Last Updated: 
Pat McGrath / Ottawa Citizen

On the same weekend Canadians marked the 25th anniversary of the Montreal Massacre, in which 14 women were murdered, Ottawans were informed of the identity of yet another woman’s death at the hands of a man.

Alem Haile was found stabbed to death in the basement of her Gloucester home early Thursday morning. Police also found the hanged body of her husband, Yassin Mender, in the house. Investigators described the deaths as murder-suicide — the city’s seventh homicide of the year. The couple, aged 51 and 60, respectively, had three children. Continue reading

BROSSARD, QC.: Nikolas Stefanatos pleads guilty in acid attack case

Brossard man pleaded guilty in Longueuil court Thursday morning

CBC News Posted: Nov 13, 2014 12:19 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 13, 2014 7:49 PM ET

Nikolas Stefanatos, the Brossard man who sprayed acid on his ex-girlfriend, Tanya St-Arnauld, has pleaded guilty to aggravated assault.

The plea at the Longueuil courthouse came today — three weeks before Stefanatos’ trial was set to start.

The attack, which happened in August 2012, caused second and third degree burns to St-Arnauld’s face, back, neck and arms.

Stefanatos sprayed St-Arnauld with a household cleaning product containing acid, apparently in a bout of jealous anger.

Stefanatos addressed the court to say he was sorry for what he did.  He apologized to St-Arnauld in front of the judge, adding that he would hug her if he were allowed to.

St-Arnauld reminded the judge of the devastating effect her ex-boyfriend’s actions have had on her life, including suffering from second and third degree burns, being in a medically induced coma and undergoing skin grafts. She said that she now has the skin of a 70-year-old.

Stefanatos is due back in court on Dec. 3 for his sentencing hearing.

Crown prosecutor Erin Kavanagh told CBC that he has already reached an agreement with the defence on a suggested sentence, calling it “significant.”

Stefanatos has been held since the night of his arrest two and a half years ago, and that time served prior to his conviction will count as time-and-a-half once he’s sentenced.

Lawyers slam Chris Alexander for commenting on Nasira Fazli murder case still before courts

‘There used to be a presumption of innocence in this country but I don’t know what happened to it’

By Colin Perkel, The Canadian Press Posted: Nov 06, 2014 5:22 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 06, 2014 5:22 PM ET

Criminal defence lawyers are dismayed that Immigration Minister Chris Alexander publicly branded a man charged with killing his wife a murderer before his trial.

Alexander brought up the case of Nasira Fazli this week as he talked publicly about the need for legislation to crack down on so-called “honour” killings and polygamy among immigrants.

“Not much more than one year ago, she was killed — 48 stab wounds — by her husband, Feraidon Mohammad Ibrahem, who had been in this country only for a few months, sponsored by her,” Alexander told a news conference at a women’s centre in west-end Toronto.

“While what he did is clearly a crime, among the gravest crimes that can be committed and that he is facing the full consequences of the law for murder, this was also a barbaric cultural practice in that he felt that he had been dishonoured by her ability to be independent.”

Alexander went on to say that “that kind of behaviour by any immigrant, by any Canadian, is unacceptable.”

Fazli, 31, of Ajax, Ont., was found stabbed to death in July 2013.

Ibrahem’s preliminary inquiry wrapped up last month and he has yet to stand trial for first-degree murder. Continue reading

TORONTO: Entire Cuban family gets sponsored, CIC expected to take measures

Wife fights to keep sponsored hubby’s family out of Canada

michele-mandel

BY  ,TORONTO SUN

FIRST POSTED: 

TORONTO — Deborah Parsons thought she had secured love and a happy future when she sponsored her new Cuban husband to Canada nine years ago.

Instead, she brought home violence, debt and a now-convicted domestic abuser intent on bringing the rest of his family to his new country. And despite her repeated warnings to the immigration department about her husband’s past since coming to Canada, they won’t tell her what they are doing to ensure members of his family are not allowed to come here as well.

“Now that the veil of control and abuse has lifted, my hindsight has become quite clear,” Parsons, 45, wrote in a letter to Citizenship and Immigration Minister Chris Alexander. “I was only used for sponsorship, then required to be the bread winner, a maid, a chef, a laundress, a secretary, an employment agency and a charity organization.” Continue reading

Etobicoke: Bridget Takyi stabbed and set ablaze by Emmanuel Owusu-Ansah, father of her two children

Bridget Takyi, a 27-year-old mother of two, was on her way to work when she was stabbed and then set ablaze on an Etobicoke street on Saturday.
Toronto Star/HANDOUT

Victoria Ptashnick

Emmanuel Owusu Ansah, 30, has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a woman whose body was founding lying on an Etobicoke street on Saturday.

Tue Jan 22 2013 07:29:00
Etobicoke murder victim had been stabbed, set on fire

Bridget Takyi, a 27-year-old mother of two, was on her way to work when she was stabbed and then set ablaze on an Etobicoke street on Saturday.
Toronto Star/HANDOUT

Bridget Takyi was supposed to be planning a trip to Disney World with her two little boys and best high school friend.

Instead, her friend will be helping plan the 27-year-old woman’s funeral.

Takyi’s body was found Saturday on Richgrove Dr., in the Martin Grove Rd. and Eglinton Ave. W. area.

Her identity couldn’t initially be confirmed because she was burned so badly she was “virtually unrecognizable,” police said. She was the city’s third homicide victim of the year. Continue reading

Pimp Jamal Forde-Beckles pleads guilty, gets 1 year


Jamal Forde-Beckles, 24, of Markham, pleaded guilty on Wednesday in Ontario Superior Court to living off the avails and beating a woman he met in Mississauga in 2010. He was sentenced to a year in jail.

Young Markham pimp pleads guilty, gets 1 year
Published on Wednesday December 19, 2012

TORONTO POLICE HANDOUT
Jamal Forde-Beckles, 24, of Markham, pleaded guilty on Wednesday in Ontario Superior Court to living off the avails and beating a woman he met in Mississauga in 2010. He was sentenced to a year in jail.
Peter Small
Courts Bureau

A Markham man has pleaded guilty to living off the avails of a woman he met at a Mississauga strip club.

Jamal Forde-Beckles must serve a further four months and 21 days after Ontario Superior Court Justice Jane Kelly sentenced him to a year in jail Wednesday, deducting time he has already served. Continue reading

Brossard, Que.: Inspired by acid-throwing cultures, Nikolas Stefanatos desfigures Tanya St-Arnaud sending her in coma

 

Tanya St-Arnauld is in a coma in hospital, with acid burns to her face, arms and upper body. (Facebook)

Quebec woman burned and in coma after acid attack
Woman’s boyfriend charged with aggravated assault
CBC News Posted: Aug 28, 2012 9:30 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 29, 2012 12:10 AM ET
Tanya St-Arnauld is in a coma in hospital, with acid burns to her face, arms and upper body. (Facebook) Facebook

A woman from Longueuil, Que., is in a coma, with serious burns to her upper body, after she was attacked with acid Sunday.

Police say the man arrested in the attack is her boyfriend, who is to appear in court for a bail hearing on Friday.

Nikolas Stefanatos, 27, of Brossard, Que., was charged with aggravated assault. In his first court appearance Monday, his bail hearing was held over. Continue reading