VANCOUVER: Chinese national Yue Hui Wang accused of going five times the speed limit in a crash that seriously hurt a teen

Man accused of going over 250km/h in Vancouver crash

by SONIA ASLAM

Posted Mar 30, 2016 11:19 am PDT

Last Updated Mar 31, 2016 at 7:58 am PDT

A Mercedes that was involved in a single-vehicle crash on SW Marine Drive in Vancouver on April 12, 2015. The driver is accused of going 250km/h (Courtesy Vancouver Police)
SUMMARY

Chinese national Yue Wang accused of going five times the speed limit in a crash that seriously hurt a teen

‘Nothing short of insanity,’ says VPD of crash at 250km/h that left a teen with head trauma, broken bones

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – A driver accused of going of 250 kilometres an hour before crashing in a residential Vancouver neighbourhood nearly a year ago has been charged.

The accused was driving his 17-year-old passenger, an acquaintance, from Richmond back home to Vancouver, when at 57th Avenue and Southwest Marine Drive, he lost control and crashed onto the property of a home.

Vancouver Police Constable Brian Montague says it took an hour before the pair was found.

“This is a fairly remote part of Vancouver. The houses are very large and the properties are very large. ”

(…)

Montague has been an officer for more than two decades and is amazed no one else was hurt.

“We are very lucky, I think, that we didn’t pull two dead bodies out of this vehicle. Clearly he’s not thinking. We have someone behind the wheel of a car who has total disregard for others using the road and for his passenger. There’s nothing other than stupidity that I can use to explain his driving at that time.”

 

(…)The passenger suffered serious injuries including several fractured facial bones, brain swelling and possible eye damage.

The 19-year-old driver, a Chinese national, left the country after the crash but returned to Vancouver for a citizenship ceremony last week.

“Whether or not he knew there was a warrant out for his arrest, I’m not sure,” adds Montague, who points out the accused missed the ceremony.

Yue Hui Wang has been charged with criminal negligence causing bodily harm. He has been released from custody until his next court appearance.

He has had his passport revoked and isn’t allowed to drive.

Sabastian Prosa found guilty of impaired driving causing death in 2012 crash

Prosa found guilty of impaired driving causing death in 2012 crash

CBC News Posted: Jun 26, 2015 11:05 AM ET Last Updated: Jun 26, 2015 11:54 AM ET

sabastian-prosa-20150103Sabastian Prosa’s blood-alcohol level was nearly twice the legal limit. (Alex Tavshunsky/CBC)

Sabastian Prosa, who was driving an SUV the wrong way on a highway when it struck a van with a family inside nearly three years ago, has been found guilty of 12 charges including impaired driving causing death.

The crash left Jayantha Wijeratne, 49, and his 16-year-old daughter, Eleesha, dead. Antonette Wijeratne, the wife and mother of the deceased, survived the crash but spent months in hospital recovering from her injuries.

Prosa’s blood-alcohol level was nearly twice the legal limit, according to an agreed statement of facts entered in court.

But Prosa has testified that he doesn’t remember the event and that he believes someone had slipped a drug in his drink at a nightclub before the crash.

The judge in the case, Justice Glenn Hainey, said Prosa’s testimony was both not credible and troubling. He said the fact that Prosa couldn’t remember anything from the night in question even before Prosa claimed to have been drugged raised serious questions about his testimony.

Hainey characterized Prosa as having a “selective memory” and said that he “tailored his evidence to support his defence.”

TORONTO: Darya Selinevich faces nine charges in connection with deadly hit and run

UPDATED

Cyclist dead after alleged hit and run, woman faces 9 charges

Darya Selinevich, 22, allegedly fled the scene after the collision

CBC News Posted: Jun 11, 2015 6:59 AM ET Last Updated: Jun 11, 2015 12:49 PM ET

A bicycle lies at the scene of a hit and run that killed a cyclist early Thursday morning in Toronto.A bicycle lies at the scene of a hit and run that killed a cyclist early Thursday morning in Toronto. (Tony Smyth/CBC)

Darya Selinevich allegedly fled the scene after hitting a 44-year-old cyclist who was crossing an intersection.

A 44-year-old man was pronounced dead at Finch Avenue West and Tobermory Road.

The man, who has yet to be identified, suffered “catastrophic, traumatic injuries,” said EMS supervisor Ryan Van Poorten.

Soon after the crash, police located a woman in a vehicle they believe was involved in the incident about 5.5 kilometres away from the scene. She was allegedly driving a badly damaged, dark blue BMW.

Toronto cyclist killedDarya Selinevich, 22, faces nine charges in connection with the deadly hit and run. (Amar Shah/CBC)

Selinevich faces seven criminal charges and two provincial charges.

Of the nine charges, seven are criminal charges:

  • Driving while disqualified.
  • Criminal negligence causing death.
  • Dangerous operation causing death.
  • Impaired operation causing death.
  • Fail to stop after accident causing death.
  • Flight while being pursued by police.
  • Refusing to provide a breath sample, after someone has died.

The two provincial charges are:

  • Driving while under suspension.
  • Driving a motor vehicle with no current validation on the plate.

_________________

https://www.facebook.com/citynewstoronto/posts/10152833043946175

EDMONTON: Sivakumar Devarajah convicted of impaired driving causing death

 

Agnes Morgan

Edmonton man guilty of impaired driving causing death

BY , EDMONTON SUN

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

An Edmonton man who fatally struck an elderly woman in a west-end crosswalk was convicted Monday of impaired driving causing death.

Sivakumar Devarajah, 55, was also found guilty of driving over .08 causing death in connection with the Feb. 4, 2013, collision that killed Agnes Morgan, 77.

Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Donald Manderscheid ruled that Devarajah’s driving was “negligent and faulty” and said his impairment by alcohol at the time was a “significant” cause of the deadly collision.

Manderscheid rejected Devarajah’s claim that the blinding sun had blocked his view of Morgan as she began walking through the crosswalk, saying others were able to see the senior and noting he had failed to lower his visor.

(…)

Crown prosecutor Kim Goddard told court she would be seeking a sentence of four to five years in prison.

Court has heard Devarajah was in a Ford F-150 pickup truck stopped at a red light on 110 Avenue at the intersection of 156 Street and waiting to turn left to go south.

Vlad-Nicolae Precup sentenced to four years in prison for fatal hit-and-run

Ottawa hit-and-run killer gets four years in prison, expresses no remorse

Published on: March 13, 2015
Last Updated: March 13, 2015 6:41 AM EDT

Vlad-Nicolae Precup has been sentenced to four years in prison for dangerous driving causing death and leaving the scene of a fatal crash in the hit and run death of Mitchell Anderson, 38, in 2008.Jean Levac / Ottawa Citizen

Branded in court on Thursday as a killer who lied to cover his tracks, Vlad Precup is going to prison for four years after a judge sentenced him in the 2008 hit-and-run that killed defenceless pedestrian Mitchell Anderson, 38.

Precup not only knew he had struck a pedestrian at the intersection of Rideau Street and Colonel By Drive but he got rid of his sports car days later, then lied to police about it all.

In delivering his sentence on Thursday afternoon, Ontario Superior Court Justice Paul Lalonde said he was stunned by Precup’s testimony, notably when Precup gave a new, wildly unbelievable account on the stand, blaming the deadly crash on another motorist, who unlike Precup, stuck around and went to help Anderson as he lay dying in the street.

Anderson’s daughter read a victim-impact statement saying, “My whole life has been nothing but pain, sorrow, and despair, and a long life of trauma.” She noted that Precup killed not just a father, but a brother and grandfather.

Driving with a suspended licence: Quebec Judge refuses to hear Rania El-Alloul unless she removes her headscarf

El-Alloul was in court to apply to get her car back after it was seized by Quebec’s automobile insurance board, the SAAQ. ‘The car was seized after police stopped El-Alloul for driving with a suspended licence.

Judge Eliana Marengo is heard telling Rania El-Alloul courtroom is a secular place in audio obtained by CBC

By Steve Rukavina, CBC News Posted: Feb 26, 2015 4:28 PM ET Last Updated: Feb 26, 2015 10:15 PM ET

A Quebec judge told a woman appearing in her Montreal courtroom she would not hear her case until she removed her hijab.

In an audio recording of the proceedings obtained by CBC News, Judge Eliana Marengo is heard telling Rania El-Alloul on Tuesday that the courtroom is a secular place and that she is not suitably dressed.

“Hats and sunglasses for example, are not allowed.  And I don’t see why scarves on the head would be either,” Marengo says in the recording.  

 RAW: Court audio of Quebec judge ordering woman to remove hijab3:26

“The same rules need to be applied to everyone. I will therefore not hear you if you are wearing a scarf on your head, just as I would not allow a person to appear before me wearing a hat or sunglasses on his or her head, or any other garment not suitable for a court proceeding.”

El-Alloul was in court to apply to get her car back after it was seized by Quebec’s automobile insurance board, the SAAQ.

‘The judge should have known better. It’s not the first time somebody walks into a courtroom with a religious dress’– Sameer Zuberi, Canadian Muslim Forum’

The car was seized after police stopped El-Alloul’sson for driving with a suspended licence. In such cases, the board keeps the car for a month. If someone wants it back sooner, they have to appear before a Court of Quebec judge to make a request. That’s what El-Alloul was trying to do Tuesday afternoon.

When El-Alloul first appeared before Marengo, the judge asked her why she had a scarf on her head. El-Alloul replied that it was because she is a Muslim. The judge then said she would take a 30-minute recess.