Category Archives: First-degree murder

Toronto: Kevin Perez pleads not guilty to first-degree murder in execution-style slaying of barber Christopher Thompson

 

Christopher Thompson, 35, was shot to death on Jan. 24, 2012 in the Malvern barber shop where he worked. Kevin Perez pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in his death.

Toronto barber shooting: violent criminal pleads guilty
Published on Friday December 21, 2012

TORONTO POLICE PHOTO
Christopher Thompson, 35, was shot to death on Jan. 24, 2012 in the Malvern barber shop where he worked. Kevin Perez pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in his death.

Peter Small
Courts Bureau

A popular Toronto barber hit four times by a shotgun in his salon was killed in revenge for his refusing to pay for a broken, stolen laptop.

New details of the execution-style slaying of Christopher Thompson were released Friday as Kevin Perez, 28, pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder but guilty to second-degree murder. Continue reading

Gurjinder “Gary” Dhaliwal charged with first-degree murder in shooting death of Maple Batalia

 

Pictured is Gurjinder “Gary” Dhaliwal;former boyfriend of Surrey murder victim Maple Batalia.
Photo Credit: , Special to the Sun

Ex-boyfriend charged in shooting death of B.C. teen
Maple Batalia, 19, was shot to death last year
CBC News Posted: Dec 1, 2012 11:22 AM PT Last Updated: Dec 1, 2012 7:07 PM PT

The ex-boyfriend of a Surrey, B.C., teen gunned down last year has been charged in connection with her death, the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team announced Saturday.

Maple Batalia, 19, was shot in a parking lot at SFU’s Surrey campus on Sept. 28, 2011.

Gurjinder “Gary” Dhaliwal, 20, has been charged with first-degree murder. Gursimar Bedi, 22, has been charged with manslaughter and being an accessory after the fact. Continue reading

Toronto: Si “William” Cheng subjected son and wife to physical and emotional torture for decades before being killed with crossbow

Cheng was repeatedly charged, convicted, given minor sentences and intimidated his hostage family members to convince authorities that he “had changed,” court heard.

GRAPHIC CONTENT!

Wife, son suffered depraved abuse before crossbow killing at library 
Sam Pazzano ,Toronto Sun 
First posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 07:15 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 09:26 PM EDT
Si “William” Cheng was killed by his son with a crossbow inside a branch of the Toronto Public Library in December 2010. (Toronto Sun files)

TORONTO – Zhou “Peter” Fang and his mother Nora Fang suffered graphic abuse and degradation that is too obscene and depraved for any Hollywood script.

“William” Si Cheng tormented his son “Peter” Fang since he was a crying one-month-old baby until the 24-year-old killed him in a crowded Toronto public library in December 2010. Continue reading

Jun Lin’s family wants to stay in Canada and Zhigui Du decides to establish foundation in her son’s name to help troubled youth in Montreal

Jun Lin’s mother has ‘sympathy’ for alleged killer
CBC News Posted: Jul 26, 2012 6:43 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 26, 2012 8:58 PM ET Read
Jun Lin was a computer engineering student at Concordia University in Montreal. His parents described their only son as their ‘pride and joy.’ (Handout) Facebook

In a written eulogy for her son, Jun Lin, Zhigui Du said she has developed sympathy for his alleged killer, Luka Rocco Magnotta, and will set up a foundation to help troubled youth.

Lin, 33, was killed and dismembered two months ago.

His mother did not attend a public funeral service held Thursday morning in Montreal and later told reporters at a news conference that she felt it would have been too hard for her to handle. But she wrote a eulogy for her only son.

“I have been waiting for this day to come, because my son can finally rest in peace in this land that he loves,” she wrote. Continue reading

Montreal: Lin Jun’s family arrives from China to recover his remains

 

A woman places flowers at a memorial near Concordia University for Lin Jun, who was the victim of a murder and dismemberment, in Montreal June 6, 2012. Photograph by: Christinne Muschi , Reuters

Slaying victim’s parents arrive from China
By René Bruemmer, The Gazette June 6, 2012

(…)

MONTREAL – As Luka Rocco Magnotta complained he feared for his life in a Berlin prison because the media was making him out to be a “really, really bad person,” the parents of the man he is alleged to have killed and dismembered arrived from China to recover their son’s remains and cobble together the last few days of his life and horrific death in Montreal. Continue reading

Luka Rocco Magnotta arrested in Germany

Luka Rocco Magnotta, the suspect in a gruesome murder and the focus of an international manhunt, has been arrested in Germany.

Luka Rocco Magnotta arrested in Berlin, Germany
By Chase Kell | Daily Brew – 2 hours 26 minutes ago

Surveillance image shows who authorities believe is Luka Rocco Magnotta in France. (AP Photo/Interpol)
Luka Rocco Magnotta, the suspect in a gruesome murder and the focus of an international manhunt, has been arrested in Germany.

German police Chief-Supt. Stefan Riedlich told CBC News that authorities apprehended Magnotta in an Internet café around 2 p.m. local time.

“As far as I know he was arrested alone, and there was no struggle,” Riedlich shares. Continue reading

China issues safety alert to its citizens in Canada

According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, there were 200,000 international students studying in Canada in 2009, contributing more than $6.5 billion to the economy. A total of 25 per cent of the international students were from China.

Body parts murder of Lin Jun provokes Chinese gov’t to warn its citizens in Canada
By Andy Radia | Daily Brew – 16 hours ago

(…) Even without Luka Rocco Magnotta, Canada is not a safe place: that’s the narrative you’d be receiving if you read the Chinese newspapers or internet chat rooms this weekend.

The grisly killing of Lin Jun — a 33-year-old Chinese student living in Montreal — allegedly at the hands of fugitive Magnotta, has provoked widespread anger in China, where many believe the crime was racially motivated.

(…)
According to the Globe and Mail’s Beijing-based reporter Mark MacKinnon, the story now dominates internet discussions in that country — Lin’s personal account on Weibo (a popular Chinese social-networking site) was the most searched-for page on the sina.com web portal. The number two search was for the latest news of the case. Continue reading

Alleged criminal Luka Rocco Magnotta, formerly known as Eric Newman, could be in Canada

Handout/ Magnotta's alleged victim is Lin Jun, a 33-year-old Concordia University student from Wuhan, Hubei, China. He was last seen on May 24, police said, and reported missing on May 29. So far, authorities know very little about the victim.

Police name murder victim, reveal Luka Rocco Magnotta could have already returned to Canada
Graeme Hamilton and Allison Cross, National Post
Staff Jun 1, 2012 – 11:52 AM ET | Last Updated: Jun 1, 2012 12:17 PM ET

Magnotta’s alleged victim is Lin Jun, a 33-year-old Concordia University student from Wuhan, Hubei, China. He was last seen on May 24, police said, and reported missing on May 29. So far, authorities know very little about the victim.

Warning: Story contains graphic content and images

Montreal police today released the name of the victim of a brutal slaying and dismemberment, and revealed murder suspect Luka Rocco Magnotta could have already returned to Canada under an assumed identity after fleeing to France on May 26. Continue reading

Is killing of Chinese man by alleged Russian-born Luka Rocco Magnotta hate crime?

A screengrab from a cached page from the U.S. white nationalist website Stormfront, showing a post suspected to have been written by accused murderer Luka Rocco Magnotta.

Accused killer Luka Rocco Magnotta linked to far-right U.S. white supremacists in message board posts
Stewart Bell
Jun 1, 2012 – 11:53 AM ET | Last Updated: Jun 1, 2012 12:10 PM ET

A screengrab from a cached page from the U.S. white nationalist website Stormfront, showing a post suspected to have been written by accused murderer Luka Rocco Magnotta.

A year before he became the target of an international manhunt for an alleged killing and dismemberment, Luka Rocco Magnotta was being hailed as a hero of free speech on a U.S. white nationalist website.
(…)
A May 27, 2011 post on Stormfront.org refers to Mr. Magnotta as “an open white supremacist” and claims he was being forced to flee Canada and return to Russia because of “his views on white supremacy.”

The post, by a forum member named reddragon1, said Magnotta “is of Russian/Italian heritage,” was born in Tolyatti, Russia, moved to Canada at age five and went to the United States to work in modeling and adult entertainment.

“However, after he published his website supporting the freeze on immigration to America and Canada, he was bombarded with hate mail and his website was removed,” the post read. “His websites were frequently targeted and removed.”

It quoted Mr. Magnotta’s website as lamenting that “blacks get their own countries, Chinese get their own countries … however if white people want their own countries then we are denied that right.” Continue reading

Kenneth Mark was likely killed for breaking the code of silence about violence in Toronto’s Black community

Christie Blatchford: Kenneth Mark shooting witness shows same ‘civic manhood’ as victim

Christie Blatchford 

Lamar Skeete testifies

TORONTO — One night about two years and two months ago, a handsome young fellow you will only ever know as D.M. went out for wings and saw a man about his own age executed on the common street.

D.M. was scared, panicked and so in shock that in the minutes that followed he found himself at the back of the place, bizarrely washing his hands.

But nonetheless he found what Tennyson once called “civic manhood” and what others might describe as the royal jelly.

Having stumbled upon a murder, he didn’t stop to ask what his country could do for him but what he should do for it.

D.M. was interviewed by Toronto police three times, twice in the hours after the shooting and once the following year; he testified at two preliminary hearings, one for each of the two men charged with first-degree murder, and there he was Monday, back in the witness box before Ontario Superior Court Judge Ian Nordheimer and a jury now presiding over the trial of one of those men, Lamar (Ammo) Skeete.

This appearance was essentially round six for D.M., and the time he has spent either telling police or testifying about what he saw that night probably totals more than a week, perhaps two.

It all began about 9:25 p.m. on the evening of Dec. 29, 2009.

D.M. was at a wings-and-pizza joint on Dundas Street West in Toronto. He had ordered and was waiting for his food when a huge man named Kenneth Mark came in to order his dinner; D.M. noticed Mr. Mark’s big headphones.

Kenneth Mark was “executed,” prosecutors say, for breaking a code of silence and talking to Toronto police about gun violence in his neighbourhood.

As D.M. sat in the bay window of the restaurant to eat, he noticed a young black man walk past, heading east, rubbing his hands in the cold.

D.M. at that time believed there was a bus stop just down the street, and guessed the man was headed there.

Then the man came back into his field of vision and walked west on Dundas. Then he came back again, walking east, then doubled back once more. He returned a third time, but this time crossed Dundas Street and seemed to stop near a laundromat on the south side.

D.M. continued to eat his food.

He saw a second young black man, and damned if he didn’t do pretty much just what the first man had done — walked in front of the shop, heading east, then came back, heading west, “back and forth,” once actually peering in through the window.

Continue reading