Category Archives: Gang/Drugs/Organized crime

OTTAWA: Two police officers charged with alleged assault of Ismael Awaleh who is facing 7 criminal charges

Constables Erin Cavan, Jordan Blonde charged with assault

Incident alleged to have occurred at Queensway-Carleton Hospital on May 1 this year

CBC News Posted: Nov 03, 2014 2:40 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 03, 2014 8:16 PM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/constables-erin-cavan-jordan-blonde-charged-with-assault-1.2822229

Two Ottawa police officers have been charged with assault following an investigation by the province’s Special Investigations Unit.

The SIU said the incident happened May 1 this year at the Queensway-Carleton Hospital.

The alleged victim, 32-year-old Ismael Awaleh, was in police custody at the hospital at the time and suffered an injury, the SIU said.

Ottawa police constables Erin Cavan and Jordan Blonde are each facing one count of assault. They are expected to appear in an Ottawa courtroom on Dec. 16.

Both officers remain on active duty, an Ottawa police spokesperson said Monday.

Awaleh facing 7 criminal charges

According to court documents, Awaleh is alleged to have assaulted a woman and breached a probation order on April 29.

Then, two days later on May 1, it’s alleged that Awaleh was found to be in possession of crack cocaine, and that he assaulted Blonde and resisted Blonde and Cavan’s attempts to arrest him.

He’s facing seven charges in total, including one count of drug possession, two counts of resisting arrest, two counts of assault and two counts of breaching probation.

Awaleh’s criminal record, which dates back to 2008, includes prior convictions on drug possession and breaching probation.

The SIU is an independent agency that investigates incidents of death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault involving police.

MONTREAL: Haitians and Latinos involved in early morning St-Michel shooting

Police find last suspect in early morning St-Michel shooting

Published on: Last Updated: 

Pie IX Blvd. has reopened to traffic following an overnight investigation into an exchange of gunfire between police and five suspect shortly after 1 a.m. in Montreal’s St-Michel borough.

Police had been looking for a man after being called to an area of Montreal’s St-Michel borough after shots were heard near Pie IX Blvd and 47th avenue shortly after 1 a.m.

According to SPVM spokesman Simon Delorme, police found a vehicle occupied by five men when they arrived on the scene, but the men fled by foot.

While chasing the suspects, a shot was fired towards the officers and police responded with more shots, Delorme said.

Four of the suspects were arrested shortly after the exchange, but one remained on the run until shortly before 8 a.m.

No one was injured during this operation.

Authorities were able to catch the last suspect with the help of the Sûreté du Québec’s helicopters and the members of the tactical team.

Police nabbed him in the industrial sector of St-Michel after combing through a security perimeter between Pie IX Blvd., Des Grandes Prairies Blvd., the Miron quarry and Robert Blvd.

Delorme said there is reason to believe the men, who are all between 25 and 29 years old, are involved in street gangs.

The investigation continues in the industrial park as authorities look for evidence in the case.

_________

http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/societe/archives/2014/11/20141102-040706.html

Les suspects d’origine latino-américaine et haïtienne sont vraisemblablement liés aux gangs de rue, selon la police.

http://journalmetro.com/actualites/montreal/586830/coups-de-feu-vers-des-policiers-suspect-arrete/

 

ABBOTSFORD, B.C.: Ongoing conflict between two Indo-Canadian groups in the Fraser Valley leaves young Sikh man dead

Friday, October 3rd, 2014 | Posted by admin

Teen Shot To Death In Abbotsford’s Ongoing Conflict Between Two Indo-Canadian Groups

Police on scene of an apparent drive-by shooting that ended the life of an Indo-Canadian in his late teens.

Homicide investigators in the Lower Mainland have been busy of late with murders taking place all over the lower mainland and now in the Fraser Valley with this latest killing of young Indo-Canadian which the LINK has learned is Herman Biring, the son of Sukhjivan Singh Biring “Thakra”,  who is also known as a promoter of Punjabi shows in the Abbotsford area.

By R. Paul Dhillon

With News Files

ABBOTSFORD – A drive-by shooting in Abbotsford left a young man dead, who sources out of Abbotsford say is an Indo-Canadian in his late teens

(…)

Sources tell the LINK that Herman Biring is the victim of ongoing conflict between two Indo-Canadian groups in the Fraser Valley, which police had earlier warned would get more violent and feared people dying as a result of the continuing escalation

Police responded to the area around Sparrow Drive and Goldfinch Street in the city just after 8 p.m.

They found a male, believed to be in his late teens, slumped over inside a dark coloured SUV and suffering from apparent gunshot wounds, reported CTV News.

He was pronounced dead on scene. Continue reading

TORONTO: Sami Mediouni arrested for allegedly recruiting drug smugglers

Mounties arrest Toronto man for allegedly recruiting drug smugglers

The Canadian Press 

Published Friday, September 19, 2014 5:58PM EDT

TORONTO — The Mounties have arrested a Toronto man who they allege recruited drug traffickers into an international narcotics ring.

The arrest Wednesday of 35-year-old Sami Mediouni followed a nine-month investigation into what police allege was a criminal group that utilized Canadian travellers to export cocaine into the United Kingdom.

(…)

The RCMP alleges Mediouni has been an active recruiter of traffickers and was responsible for recruiting and introducing Simone to the international smuggling scheme.

He has been charged with the importation of a controlled substance as well as conspiracy and is due in court Sept. 25.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mounties-arrest-toronto-man-for-allegedly-recruiting-drug-smugglers-1.2015812#ixzz3Dnp766Df

MONTREAL: Haitian gang leader Ducarme Joseph executed in the middle of the street

Police say Joseph was leader of Montreal’s 67 gang

CBC News Posted: Aug 02, 2014 8:50 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 02, 2014 10:52 AM ET

Reputed gang leader Ducarme Joseph was fatally shot in the Saint-Michel neighbourhood last night.

Joseph, 46, was found in the middle of a street around 10:15 p.m., near the corner of Saint-Michel Boulevard and Michel-Ange Street.

ducarme joseph Police have called Ducarme Joseph the most dangerous street gang member in Montreal. (Montreal Police)

Officers and paramedics responded to the call, and Joseph was declared dead at the scene.

“Upon their arrival they found the body of a man in his 40s, with serious wounds to his upper body. We’re talking about gunshot wounds,” said Const. Francois Collard with the Montreal Police.

Collard said police have not made any arrests and have no suspects at this time.

Police analyst Stéphane Berthomet told Radio-Canada that more than one criminal organization could have reason to kill Joseph.

“All hypotheses are still open. There is the Mafia, the bikers, and other gangs. The possibilities are vast,” said Berthomet. Continue reading

VANCOUVER: Jeffrey Chang targeted in drive-by shooting, Mia Deakin injured

By Kim Bolan, Vancouver Sun June 11, 2014

Two men targeted in separate weekend shootings in Vancouver are from rival gangs that have been warring with each other across the region for years.

The Vancouver Sun has learned the target of an East Hastings drive-by shooting Sunday that left 28-year-old Mia Deakin wounded was gangster Jeffrey Chang.

Chang, 27, is involved in the Wolf Pack gang alliance and has been the subject of several recent warnings from police about threats to his life, sources said. Continue reading

HAMILTON: Janos Acs, victim of the Domotor-Kolompar human-trafficking ring, commits suicide

HUMAN TRAFFICKING VICTIM

HUMAN TRAFFICKING VICTIM

Cathie Coward,The Hamilton Spectator

Janos Acs was among more than 20 people rescued in 2009 by RCMP from the hands of human traffickers who lured them from their native Hungary on the false promise of work.

In the early evening hours of June 10, Janos Acs walked onto train tracks in central Hamilton and lay down to die.

The 60-year-old’s suicide, near Emerald Street North, ended a troubled life that authorities thought they had saved.

Acs was among more than 20 people rescued in 2009 by RCMP from the hands of human traffickers who lured them from their native Hungary on the false promise of work. Despite the successful prosecution of his abusers and that he and other victims were given safe haven in Canada, Acs lived out his free days moving in and out of shelters, struggling to find work and drinking heavily.

The now infamous Domotor-Kolompar criminal organization was dismantled in 2010 and stands as the largest human trafficking case in Canadian history. Twenty-three members of the extended family were convicted of various charges between 2012 and 2013.

“I feel very much betrayed and I’m pretty frustrated,” Janos Acs told the Spectator

Canada Border Services Agency regional director Goran Vragovic said he learned of Acs’ death on Tuesday morning, before a news conference announcing that 20 members of thecriminal organization had been deported.

“It’s a tragic conclusion to an already sad story,” he said.

MORE: “There is no room in Canada” for modern day slavery

Spectator readers first met Acs in a Hamilton shelter in December 2010. He was the first victim willing to speak publicly.

“I feel very much betrayed and I’m pretty frustrated. I’m kind of all alone and I have no friends to discuss the situation,” he said during an interview for a Spectator special investigation, The gypsy kings, that followed the human traffickers to Hungary.

Acs grew up in a small Hungarian village called Bakonybel and, despite being in his 50s, had never been outside Hungary. He was approached by a member of the organization and offered a construction job in Canada. Ignoring warnings from family, Acs said he agreed.

He immediately realized his mistake.

“When I came over here, the situation became a servant and master thing,” he said.

Acs spent seven months living in the basement of his captor’s Mohawk Road East home. Along with working without pay, he was coached to apply for social assistance and claim to be mentally handicapped.

On two occasions, he escaped from the home, once approaching a police officer on the street. The officers didn’t understand what he was saying, so he went back.

When RCMP showed up in late 2009 and offered him an escape, he agreed to leave. But life in a men’s shelter was not what he thought it was going to be. He had hoped to bring his then 30-year-old son to Canada, but that never happened.

“I appreciate that people are helping me here, but I just can’t get used to this. I don’t regret that I came to Canada, but I didn’t figure it was going to be like this.”

Hamilton police spokesperson Constable Debbie McGreal-Dinning confirmed police were called to the “sudden death” on June 10, in the area of Emerald Street North and Birge Street. The death was deemed non-criminal and McGreal-Dinning said she could not comment further.

Fellow victim Tamas Miko didn’t know Acs well — they were housed in different homes — but news of his death is shocking.

Miko’s family was rescued from Hungary after being threatened over his agreement to testify in court. They live every day in the shadow of the criminal organization.

“I can’t just move on,” he said, adding that there is “so much hatred inside of me.”

Miko has gone back to school to get his high school equivalency. For now, his family lives together, unable to find work, collecting Ontario Works. It’s not the life he imagined for himself when he chose to come to Canada.

Shelley Gilbert, co-ordinator of social work services at Legal Assistance of Windsor, works with Miko to sort through the “roller-coaster” of emotions caused by “living with the effects of human trafficking.”

She’s also invited him to share his story with social service and justice professionals.

Gilbert said there is “no five-minute solution” to the anxieties and other issues survivors are faced with. That’s why there is a need for long-term intensive case management.

Miko said he hopes to one day work to “save people” like Walk With Me founder Timea Nagy did.

Nagy met the human trafficking victims, including Acs, when they were first rescued and continued to support them throughout the court cases. At the time, the Hamilton-based human trafficking rescue organization was just getting started and Nagy largely worked out of her car and got calls on her cellphone at all hours.

Nagy, a native of Hungary and sex trafficking survivor, helped the victims find shelter and often acted as a translator.

Unlike most other victims who fled to different cities to avoid threats, Acs stayed in Hamilton.

“He was troubled,” Nagy said, adding that he was in and out of shelters.

In recent years, Walk With Me bought a safe house that can house up to five victims at once. However, as awareness about human trafficking grows so too has demand for the organization’s services.

Walk With Me gets about $200,000 in funding every year, but to keep up with demand, Nagy said they really need $400,000. They are currently not accepting new clients in the safe house. They are doing front line victim care, but no longer have the staff to respond at any hour.

There is no network of safe houses or rescue organizations across Canada. Many victims, like Acs, end up in shelters.

Burlington MP Mike Wallace, who chairs the federal government’s justice committee said the government is working to help human trafficking victims.

“Have we done enough? I would say most of us would say no, we could do more. But we are actually taking action to make that happen,” he said this week.

Wallace pointed to changes to Canada’s immigration law that allow human trafficking victims to be fast-tracked to permanent resident status.

This law change has allowed the Hungarian victims to stay in Canada.

Wallace also noted the victim bill of rights, which will be debated in the fall. He said this will make victims “part of judicial system to give them a voice.”

 

noreilly@thespec.com

905-526-3199 | @NicoleatTheSpec

Hungarian Roma human traffickers deported from Canada

Josh Elliott, CTVNews.ca
Published Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:48AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:56PM EDT

The federal government has announced that 20 members of a large human trafficking ring based out of Hamilton, Ont. have been deported from Canada.

The 20 deported individuals were members of the Domotor-Kolompar ring and helped run the largest proven human trafficking ring in Canada, according to the statement put out by the border agency. As of Tuesday, at least 22 members of this ring have been convicted on human trafficking charges, the BSA has confirmed. All but two were deported.

The Domotor-Kolompar family brought Hungarians from their hometown to Canada with the promise of work and a better life in the Hamilton area, Canadian officials said. But the Hungarians who came over were subjected to brutal living conditions without adequate food and forced to work construction jobs for free. The human traffickers used intimidation and threats of violence to keep their victims in line, officials said.

“This flagrant abuse of persons in our immigration system demanded a strong response,” Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney said in a news conference Tuesday. Continue reading

TORONTO: Bela Gulyas, 19, two 17-year-old teens and one 15-year-old, arrested in Allen-Eglinton robbery and gang rape

UPDATE: Four arrested in Allen-Eglinton robbery, sexual assault

York Guardian

One man and three youths have been arrested after a woman was sexually assaulted and robbed in the Allen Road and Eglinton Avenue area Thursday, July 17.

Police said the victim, 27, was walking on a pathway on the west side of Allen Road when a group of men surrounded her around 11:40 p.m.

She was then robbed, thrown to the ground and sexually assaulted by one man.

The suspects then fled south towards Eglinton Avenue on foot.

Four suspects were arrested Sunday, July 20.

Bela Gulyas, 19, two 17-year-old boys and one 15-year-old boy, all of Toronto, are each charged with robbery and gang sexual assault.

The youths cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Police are looking for one outstanding suspect. His name or description has not been released.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 416-808-7474 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.

Surrey: Man critically wounded in Surrey shooting is stepson of murdered gangster Sandip Duhre

One of two Surrey shooting victims related to murdered gangster Sandip Duhre

By Kim Bolan, Vancouver Sun August 3, 2013

Police investigate after a shootout between two vehicles in Surrey sent two men to hospital on August 2, 2013.
Photograph by: Submitted , Gangster Spotlight

METRO VANCOUVER — A young man critically wounded in a Surrey shooting Friday afternoon is the stepson of murdered gangster Sandip Duhre, The Vancouver Sun has learned.

The young Surrey man and his friend were wounded during a shoot-out between two vehicles in the 5800-block of 126th Street at around 2:45 p.m., Surrey RCMP Sgt. Drew Grainger said.

The Duhre relative was struck in the chest and had a punctured lung. Continue reading

An immigration database