Category Archives: Health and safety regulations/Incompetency/Hygiene related

Dutch Jacobus Marinus van Nierop to be deported to face criminal charges in France

September 5, 2014 1:02 pm

Fugitive Dutch dentist, wanted for mutilating patients, ordered held

By Staff  The Canadian Press

MONTREAL – A Dutch dentist arrested this week in New Brunswick and wanted in France for allegedly mutilating patients through botched procedures will remain detained pending his removal from Canada.

Jacobus Marinus van Nierop had a detention review before the Immigration and Refugee Board Friday via teleconference.

(…)

The Canada Border Services Agency says it is making plans to return van Nierop to his native Holland, but that could change if French authorities demand he be returned to that country to face criminal charges.

(…)

In a strange twist, van Nierop told the hearing he thought he was being held in connection with the murder of his wife in the Netherlands in 2006.

© The Canadian Press, 2014

OTTAWA: Chinese restaurant fined after rice served sent six children to hospital

27 people at Tian Tian Chinese Summer Camp, 17 others got sick after eating rice

CBC News Posted: Aug 22, 2014 4:26 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 22, 2014 4:33 PM ET

A west Ottawa restaurant has been fined by Ottawa Public Health after rice it served made dozens of people sick and sent six children to hospital from a summer camp.

Paramedics were called to St. Cecilia School the afternoon of July 31 after several children and adults from the Tian Tian Chinese Summer Camp reported feeling ill.

Six children suffering from vomiting, dizziness and diarrhea were taken to hospital with suspected food poisoning. They were all released later that day.

Ottawa Public Health said in a statement Friday they inspected three restaurants that provided food for the camp that week. Two of those restaurants passed but the third, Lotus Chinese Food Takeout on Fallowfield Road, did not.

After interviewing more than 90 people from the camp, Ottawa Public Health said a total of 44 people felt sick after eating a fried rice dish from Lotus.

Analysis showed the presence of Bacillus cereus, a bacterium that releases toxins causing symptoms reported by those who got sick, in the rice and a noodle dishes from Lotus.

“Although this type of bacteria was found in both the rice and the noodle dishes prepared, the bacteria in the rice dish was at a level consistent with levels known to cause food-borne illness,” the statement said.

Inspection records show Lotus was found in compliance with regulations on Aug. 1, but had a “critical” food safety issue on Aug. 19 related to keeping food protected from contamination.

Lotus has been fined for operating a food premise maintained in a manner permitting a health hazard, and operating a food premise maintained adversely affecting sanitary conditions. Together, the offences carry a maximum fine of $600.

OTTAWA: Accused of unsanitary work, Dr. Christiane Farazli agrees to give up practicing medicine

Andrea Janus, CTVNews.ca
Published Friday, July 25, 2014 8:26AM EDT

An Ottawa doctor whose clinic was at the centre of an infection scare has agreed never to practice medicine again after the College of Physicians and Surgeons found her unprofessional and incompetent.

The College held a disciplinary hearing for Dr. Christiane Farazli on Thursday after dozens of patients also came forward to say that she had brutalized them during procedures, such as colonoscopies.

In reports submitted to the College’s discipline committee, Farazli’s former patients said they endured “unbearable pain” and “inadequate sedation” during procedures in her office. Another said Farazli enlisted the help of a visiting sales rep during a procedure when her nurse failed to show up for work. Continue reading

Calgary: Restauranteur Salauddin Choudhury fined $26k for having immigrant employees living in basement suites covered with sewage

Judge grants leniency for guilty pleas, lesser responsibility

By Daryl Slade, Calgary Herald

Choudhury operated under the business name Oh! Calcutta

CALGARY — There was no sympathy on Tuesday for a co-owner of a company that operated a southwest restaurant that repeatedly violated Public Health Act regulations and endangered the health and safety of customers.

“It is clear that your pursuit of financial benefit was put ahead of your consideration of the rights and the human dignity of those residents of the premises and the food safety of the customers of the restaurant,” provincial court Judge George Gaschler told Salauddin Choudhury before meting out $26,450 in fines.

“This is utterly deplorable and deserving of the strong sanction that has been recommended to the court.”

Court heard the second-floor and basement suites had been condemned as unfit for human habitation because of numerous safety infractions, including windows far too small for emergency egress, massive mould, a leaking roof and some 15 to 20 centimetres of raw sewage on the basement floor from a sewage backup.

Gashchler then recommended the joint sentencing submission presented by prosecutor Rob O’Neill and defence lawyer Rob Bagga.

Choudhury, co-owner of Oh! Calcutta, which operated the Wicked Chili restaurant at 507 17th Ave. S.W., had spent a week in jail after failing to show up for his trial on April 16.

He remained in custody so he would attend his trial starting on Monday but, after meeting with Bagga just after O’Neill had begun his case, he changed his mind and pleaded guilty to 20 charges related to the restaurant, two suites upstairs and another in the basement.

Continue reading

Surrey: Daycare at 16667 24th Ave. “carried” for 17 more kids than the legal limit and hired illegal immigrants

Calendino’s helpers were undocumented and unqualified.

Daycare series: Do you know where your children are?
Unprecedented discovery at Surrey family daycare reveals weaknesses of licensing system
By GILLIAN BURNETT, Vancouver Sun September 11, 2011

A daycare at 16667 24th Ave. in Surrey was shut down after officers found it was operating ‘in a manner that has the potential to have a serious negative impact on the health and safety of children.’
Photograph by: Nick Procaylo, PNG

METRO VANCOUVER — When two licensing officers knocked on the door of the Grandview Heights family daycare in Surrey last fall, they were conducting a routine investigation. Both had previously inspected the facility in the 11 years it had been licensed, and knew its operator, Anna Calendino, from earlier visits. Continue reading

Langley: A-1 Mushroom Substratum Ltd. and H.V. Truong Ltd. mushroom farm owners unaware of the Canadian health and safety regulations

Nguyen Thi Thu with her son Michael Phan in hospital, six months after he suffered severe brain damage after inhaling noxious fumes at a Langley mushroom farm. Photograph by: .., Handout photo

Langley mushroom farm owners unaware of occupational health and safety laws, court told
By NEAL HALL, VANCOUVER SUN September 16, 2011

The owners of a Langley mushroom farm where three men were killed by poison gas in 2008 were unaware of occupational health and safety laws but advised workers to be careful on the job, Surrey Provincial Court was told Friday. Continue reading

A-1 Mushroom Substratum Ltd. and H.V. Truong Ltd.pleaded guilty to contravening the Workers’ Compensation Act and health and safety regulations

Michael Phan, with wife Phuong Lee and her brother Arthur Le, suffered brain damage after being overcome by toxic gas trying to save others. Photograph by: Ian Smith, Vancouver Sun Files, Vancouver Sun

Two companies, three men plead guilty in connection with mushroom farm incident
Victim’s daughter says family hopes jail time is imposed after 3 killed, 2 permanently injured

By Neal Hall, Vancouver Sun May 14, 2011

Two companies and three men pleaded guilty Friday to failing to ensure the health and safety of three Langley mushroom-farm workers who died in 2008 and two others who suffered brain damage. Continue reading