Afghani Johra Kaleki guilty in attempted honour killing of her 19-year-old daughter

Kaleki stabbed her daughter in the head at the family’s Montreal-area home

CBC News Posted: Mar 10, 2015 3:07 PM ET Last Updated: Mar 10, 2015 4:10 PM ET

Johra Kaleki, 42, has been found guilty of the attempted murder of her daughter.

The incident happened in June 2010 at the family home in Dorval.

Kaleki’s daughter,  Bahar Ebrahimi , then 19 years old, had gone out with friends to a nightclub.

When she returned, after midnight, her mother attacked her with a meat cleaver.

Ibrahimi suffered serious injuries in the attack.

Kaleki had been sent to a psychiatric hospital for evaluation at the defence’s request but was declared fit to stand trial.

On Tuesday, Quebec Court Judge Yves Paradis concluded Kaleki was not suffering from a psychotic episode and said there is “no doubt” she intended to kill her daughter.

“It is clear Mrs. Kaleki knew not only that her actions were contrary to law but also that they were morally wrong according to the standard of the ordinary person,” Paradis wrote in his decision.

“There is no doubt that her intention was to kill the victim.”

Kaleki did not react to the guilty verdict.

She was accompanied by her husband and the victim, her daughter.

Bahar Ebrahimi left the court room as soon as the judgment was read out.

Kaleki will remain out on bail until her sentence is handed down.

______________

More on the case

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/09/26/its-for-your-good-let-me-finish-afghan-canadian-told-police-she-stabbed-daughter-with-kitchen-knife/

Lawyers slam Chris Alexander for commenting on Nasira Fazli murder case still before courts

‘There used to be a presumption of innocence in this country but I don’t know what happened to it’

By Colin Perkel, The Canadian Press Posted: Nov 06, 2014 5:22 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 06, 2014 5:22 PM ET

Criminal defence lawyers are dismayed that Immigration Minister Chris Alexander publicly branded a man charged with killing his wife a murderer before his trial.

Alexander brought up the case of Nasira Fazli this week as he talked publicly about the need for legislation to crack down on so-called “honour” killings and polygamy among immigrants.

“Not much more than one year ago, she was killed — 48 stab wounds — by her husband, Feraidon Mohammad Ibrahem, who had been in this country only for a few months, sponsored by her,” Alexander told a news conference at a women’s centre in west-end Toronto.

“While what he did is clearly a crime, among the gravest crimes that can be committed and that he is facing the full consequences of the law for murder, this was also a barbaric cultural practice in that he felt that he had been dishonoured by her ability to be independent.”

Alexander went on to say that “that kind of behaviour by any immigrant, by any Canadian, is unacceptable.”

Fazli, 31, of Ajax, Ont., was found stabbed to death in July 2013.

Ibrahem’s preliminary inquiry wrapped up last month and he has yet to stand trial for first-degree murder.

KELOWNA, B.C.: Tyler Jack Newton charged in fatal bus stabbing

Caesar Rosales, Kelowna bus stabbing victim, remembered

Tyler Newton is charged with second degree murder, after Rosales was stabbed on a busy bus Thursday night

CBC News Posted: Nov 03, 2014 7:08 AM PT Last Updated: Nov 03, 2014 11:59 AM PT

Caesar Rosales walking the CN Tower in an undated photo. Rosales, a father of one and aerospace worker, also enjoyed skydiving, bungy jumping and ziplining. He was stabbed to death in a random attack on a city bus in Kelowna, B.C. on Thursday Oct. 30, 2014.

Caesar Rosales walking the CN Tower in an undated photo. Rosales, a father of one and aerospace worker, also enjoyed skydiving, bungy jumping and ziplining. He was stabbed to death in a random attack on a city bus in Kelowna, B.C. on Thursday Oct. 30, 2014. (Google+)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/caesar-rosales-kelowna-bus-stabbing-victim-remembered-1.2821797

The victim of an apparently random attack on a Kelowna city bus has been identified as father of one and aerospace worker, Caesar Rosales.

Tyler Jack Newton, 23, has been charged with the second degree murder of Rosales on Thursday night. He allegedly stabbed Rosales in the neck in an apparently random attack as Newton was leaving the busy bus.

TORONTO: Black male suspect sought after convenience store owner threatened with knife

Suspect sought after convenience store owner threatened with knife

convenience store, knifeToronto police released this image of a man who investigators say allegedly attempted to assault a convenience store owner with a knife on Saturday, Aug. 16.
Codi Wilson, CP24.com
Published Saturday, August 16, 2014 8:55PM EDT
Last Updated Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:01PM EDT

Police are searching for a suspect who investigators say attempted to assault a convenience store owner with a knife Saturday afternoon.

According to Toronto police, the suspect entered a convenience store in the area of Bathurst Street and Drewry Avenue at around 12:30 p.m. and a verbal altercation occurred between the two men.

Police say the suspect pulled out a knife and began to swing it at the store owner. The owner, police say, was not struck but the suspect made multiple attempts to assault the man.

The suspect has been described as a black male, in his 30s, approximately five-foot-ten to six feet, with a large, muscular build, and a clean-shaven face.

He was last seen wearing a dark t-shirt and dark shorts.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-3204 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/suspect-sought-after-convenience-store-owner-threatened-with-knife-1.1963089#ixzz3Abha4PZA

Toronto: Criminal Nabil Huruy charged with first-degree murder

 

Markham firefighter Dominic Parker, seen here in an undated Facebook, died early Monday, Sept. 16, 2013, after being stabbed in a weekend attack.

Man accused of stabbing Markham, Ont., firefighter in court

CBC News Posted: Sep 19, 2013 5:15 PM ET Last Updated: Sep 19, 2013 5:15 PM ET

Related Stories

Nabil Huruy, 23, kept his head down during a brief court appearance Thursday. Huruy is accused of stabbing and killing 45-year-old firefighter Dominic Parker at a Toronto cafe earlier this week. ( Alex Tavshunsky)

Nabil Huruy, the man charged in the stabbing death of a Markham, Ont., firefighter made his second court appearance today.

The 23-year-old appeared briefly at a downtown courtroom this morning, keeping his head down as he stood in the prisoner’s dock. He remains in custody.

Huruy is accused of attacking Dominic Parker “without provocation” at an east-end cafe earlier this week.

He is charged with first-degree murder.

Vancouver: Manraj Akalirai murdered by people with swords; his family claims he had no gang or drug affiliation

Manraj’s family sent out a strong statement to CBC News saying Manraj was in no way related to gangs or drugs.

Friday, January 25th, 2013 | Posted by surbhi
19-year-old Manraj Akalirai Murdered in Vancouver in Group Sword Attack
www.voiceonline.com
VANCOUVER: 19-year-old Manraj Akalirai was murdered by a large group of people who attacked him with swords on Elgin Street near East 47th Avenue Vancouver Wednesday night. Initially the police did not identify Manraj and said that it was drug-related murder. But Friday morning Manraj’s family sent out a strong statement to CBC News saying Manraj was in no way related to gangs or drugs.

Akalirai, who recently graduated from Gladstone High School, was attacked by a large group just south of Memorial South Park, at about 10:30 p.m. PT, police said. Several weapons were used in the attack, including bats, clubs and a sword.