TORONTO: Peer Mohammad Khairi, who almost decapitated wife, loses appeal

  • Share on Facebook
  • Reddit this!
By: Diana Mehta The Canadian Press, Published on Wed Apr 22 2015

Ontario’s highest court upheld the second-degree murder conviction of an Afghan immigrant who nearly decapitated his wife, calling the woman’s death a “horrific” killing in a decision released Wednesday.

Peer Mohammad Khairi, a father of six, had argued that the judge who presided over his trial made several errors, and asked the appeal court for a new trial.

If a fresh trial couldn’t be ordered, Khairi had asked that his period of parole ineligibility — currently set at 15 years after he was sentenced to life in prison — be lowered to 10 or 11 years.

He was turned down by Ontario’s Court of Appeal on both fronts.

“The conviction appeal is dismissed. While we grant leave to appeal the sentence, the sentence appeal is dismissed,” the court’s decision said.

Khairi had admitted to killing his wife in March 2008, it was the circumstances of the death that had been in dispute at his trial, the court noted.

“He contended that he lacked the intent for murder due to mental health issues. Alternatively, he claimed that he stabbed his wife in the heat of passion, caused by her allegedly provocative words and conduct,” the appeal court wrote.

A jury deliberated for three days in 2012 before finding Khairi guilty of second-degree murder.

In his appeal, Khairi argued that the trial judge erred by not declaring a mistrial after what was allegedly an “improper” opening statement from Crown prosecutors, whose effect was allegedly to prevent him from receiving a fair trial. He also claimed the prosecution’s closing address was inflammatory.

The appeal court agreed that the Crown’s opening statement was improper, but found that the trial judge adequately instructed the jury that the Crown’s remarks exceeded the scope of a proper opening statement.

(…)

Khairi, who was born in Afghanistan, immigrated to Canada with his wife and children in 2003 after having spent the previous 15 years in India.

The family settled in Toronto but due to the couple’s limited education and inability to speak English, neither of them could find work, court documents have noted.

In 2006, the family had financial troubles and the relationship between Khairi and his wife became strained, the documents said.

(…)

Supreme Court rejects appeal from Rwandan genocide commander Desire Munyaneza

Supreme Court rejects appeal from Rwandan genocide commander 

12 QMI AGENCY

Desire Munyaneza led a Hutu militia during the genocide that saw more than 800,000 Tutsis slaughtered.

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

The Supreme Court on Thursday refused to hear the appeal of a man who was sentenced to life in prison for his role in the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

Desire Munyaneza led a Hutu militia during the genocide that saw more than 800,000 Tutsis slaughtered.

He then fled the country, arriving in Canada in 1997, where RCMP got wind of his involvement in the genocide and launched an investigation.

He was living in Toronto when he was arrested in October 2005 and charged with seven counts under the Crimes Against Humanity and War Crimes Act.

Witnesses for the prosecution testified that as a militia commander, Munyaneza organized a large number of rapes and murders in the Butare region.

VANCOUVER: Iraqi refugge Faris Namrud pleads guilty to 6 counts of fraud over $5K

CBC News Posted: Nov 11, 2014 7:00 AM PT Last Updated: Nov 11, 2014 9:32 AM PT

An Iraqi refugee with a long history of romancing and ripping off women in Canada has pleaded guilty to several counts of fraud and could be deported once his sentence is served.

Faris Namrud, who arrived in Canada in 1999, already served jail time for romancing victims out of hundreds of thousands of dollars in the past.

On Monday, Namrud appeared in provincial court in Vancouver via video link and pleaded guilty to six counts of fraud over $5,000.

In the spring, CBC Investigates told the story of one Vancouver woman who said she lost $88,000 to the 46-year-old contractor, who took deposits but didn’t deliver on the work he promised.

A short time after the story aired, Namrud, who was then facing his 11th fraud charge in 10 years, turned himself in to police. More victims also came forward, and more fraud charges were laid.

Faris Namrud

Iraqi refugee Faris Namrud has already served jail time for romancing victims out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. (CBC)

In some of the scams, women who fell victim said he used various Italian aliases, including Gino Montana and Franco Nemro Loranzo, and that he had romanced them out of their savings.

Hungarian Roma human traffickers deported from Canada

Josh Elliott, CTVNews.ca
Published Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:48AM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, July 22, 2014 2:56PM EDT

The federal government has announced that 20 members of a large human trafficking ring based out of Hamilton, Ont. have been deported from Canada.

The 20 deported individuals were members of the Domotor-Kolompar ring and helped run the largest proven human trafficking ring in Canada, according to the statement put out by the border agency. As of Tuesday, at least 22 members of this ring have been convicted on human trafficking charges, the BSA has confirmed. All but two were deported.

The Domotor-Kolompar family brought Hungarians from their hometown to Canada with the promise of work and a better life in the Hamilton area, Canadian officials said. But the Hungarians who came over were subjected to brutal living conditions without adequate food and forced to work construction jobs for free. The human traffickers used intimidation and threats of violence to keep their victims in line, officials said.

“This flagrant abuse of persons in our immigration system demanded a strong response,” Public Safety Minister Steven Blaney said in a news conference Tuesday.

TORONTO: Bela Gulyas, 19, two 17-year-old teens and one 15-year-old, arrested in Allen-Eglinton robbery and gang rape

UPDATE: Four arrested in Allen-Eglinton robbery, sexual assault

York Guardian

One man and three youths have been arrested after a woman was sexually assaulted and robbed in the Allen Road and Eglinton Avenue area Thursday, July 17.

Police said the victim, 27, was walking on a pathway on the west side of Allen Road when a group of men surrounded her around 11:40 p.m.

She was then robbed, thrown to the ground and sexually assaulted by one man.

The suspects then fled south towards Eglinton Avenue on foot.

Four suspects were arrested Sunday, July 20.

Bela Gulyas, 19, two 17-year-old boys and one 15-year-old boy, all of Toronto, are each charged with robbery and gang sexual assault.

The youths cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Police are looking for one outstanding suspect. His name or description has not been released.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 416-808-7474 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-8477.

BRAMPTON, ont.: Ordered deported 10 years ago, Iqbal Singh is now accused of murder

Bogus refugee claimant accused of murder

Maclean’s investigates how a repeat felon, ordered deported 10 years ago, managed to stay in Canada

Michael Friscolanti

When emergency crews rushed through the front door that winter night—Jan. 21, 2014—they found white tiles covered in blood and two people clinging to life. It was a gruesome, chaotic scene, even for a seasoned paramedic. Whoever swung the blade, again and again, had already fled.

Anita Summan, who owned the home in Brampton, Ont., was lying at the bottom of the main wooden staircase, alert but fading. Summan’s daughter, in her bedroom when the assailant pounced, had sprinted to her side. “She was still alive,” says Sonali Summan, 22. “I was in a hysterical shock, trying to figure out what was going on.”