Investigators want to find 38-year-old mixed martial arts fighter turned actor Ziad Akl and his brother Elias Akl, 40, whose family resides in Laval.
Ziad appeared with Leonardo Dicaprio credited as the menacing “tattooed man” in Martin Scorsese’s psychological thriller Shutter Island, and as an inmate with Christian Bale in the movie The Fighter.
Const. Nathalie Lorrain told The Suburban in an interview that on Dec. 26, 2009, security cameras recorded the Akl brothers brutally beating an employee of the Red Light, a local after-hours club located at 1755 Lierre in Vimont.
She added that third man, Ahmed Farah Muhudin, has already been convicted for having stabbed the employee repeatedly with knife during the incident.
Laval police believe that Ziad might be living in the United States. In 2008, the Eagle Tribune, a suburban Boston newspaper, reported that Akl worked at his family’s Getty service station on route 28 in Salem, New Hampshire. Continue reading →
Tyrone Bracken’s killers received the toughest sentence youths can receive Tuesday for the tragic, execution-style slaying of the 16-year-old who predicted his own demise.
Gunman Shaquille Belle, Trevon Foo and Marcus Weise were convicted last year of first-degree murder and Justice Ian Nordheimer sentenced them as adults, which means a life sentence with no parole for 10 years. The murderers can now be identified. Continue reading →
Tamara Cherry, CTV Toronto
Published Friday, April 11, 2014 11:27AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, April 11, 2014 3:18PM EDT
A Toronto man has pleaded guilty to eight charges in connection with the July 2012 Danzig Street shooting that left two people dead and injured two others.
Nahom Tsegazab pleaded guilty to two counts of manslaughter and six counts of aggravated assault at a court hearing on Friday.
The shooting occurred at a neighbourhood barbecue outside a community housing complex on Danzig Street in Toronto’s east end. Shyanne Charles, 14, and Joshua Yasay, 23, were killed in the cross-fire. Continue reading →
Last updated Tuesday, Aug. 13 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Representatives for the families of seven people killed in police shootings in Ontario will join together today in Toronto to call for action to prevent other fatal police encounters.
The family of Sammy Yatim, who died last month after being shot by police on a streetcar, is scheduled to appear at a press conference arranged by the Ontario Federation of Labour and the Urban Alliance on Race Relations.
ALOK MUKHERJEE Police board chair asks for answers in Sammy Yatim shooting
The noon press conference is expected to be followed by a rally at the downtown Yonge-Dundas Square, where people will call for justice for Yatim., who was 18.
Blair says he’s asked O’Connor to make recommendations and examine best practices from around the world, citing public concern about police use of force and response to emotionally disturbed people.
Toronto police have identified the victim of a homicide that took place Monday.
Christopher Kotsopoulos, 26, was found with an obvious gunshot wound to his chest in a Toronto housing complex near The Queensway and Windermere Avenue, according to Toronto police spokeswoman Constable Wendy Drummond. Continue reading →
This is 51 Division’s latest version of “Project Captivate.” They are requesting the public’s
assistance locating a wanted man.
A warrant has been issued for Jugraj Singh, 28, of Toronto, for:
1) Assault with a weapon
3) Theft Under
He is described as white, 6’8”, 200 lbs., brown eyes, long black hair with a long beard.
TORONTO – Toronto police say a man killed in a fatal shooting appeared to use a female bystander as a human shield after gunshots rang out at a downtown seniors’ residence Thursday night.
Det. Sgt. Terry Browne says “disturbing” security video from the scene shows a female resident who was entering the building at the time becoming trapped in the front vestibule with both the shooter and the victim.
Browne says it looks like the shooting victim was trying to use the woman as a shield during the shooting, during which gunshots shattered a lobby window.
The man who was shot has been identified as Nisan Nirmalendran, 21, of Toronto, whom police say they have had contact with in the past, but did not elaborate. Continue reading →
A popular Toronto barber hit four times by a shotgun in his salon was killed in revenge for his refusing to pay for a broken, stolen laptop.
New details of the execution-style slaying of Christopher Thompson were released Friday as Kevin Perez, 28, pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder but guilty to second-degree murder. Continue reading →