Category Archives: Crime by ethnicity

TORONTO: Niran Murray charged with first-degree murder of prostitute Evelyn Castillo who came to Canada as a caregiver

Toronto man charged with murder of sex-trade worker in Mississauga

 | October 16, 2014 10:46 PM ET
More from Canadian Press
Niran Murray has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a sex-trade worker at a Mississauga hotel

Peel Regional PoliceNiran Murray has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a sex-trade worker at a Mississauga hotel.

BRAMPTON, Ont. – Peel regional police announced Thursday that they had charged a 32-year-old Toronto man with first-degree murder in the death of a sex-trade worker at a Mississauga hotel.

Forty-three-year-old Evelyn Castillo of Thornhill, Ont., was found without vital signs just before 7 p.m. at a hotel on Britannia Road East on Oct. 11.

Her body was found by emergency crews putting out a fire at the hotel.

Insp. George Koekkoek told reporters that an autopsy revealed that Ms. Castillo had died as result of injuries received prior to the fire being set.

Arrested and charged in the case is Niran Murray, more commonly known as Nick Murray. He was due to appear in court Thursday.

Police believe Mr. Murray may have allegedly assaulted other women in the past, particularly sex-trade workers, and are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

“He is currently before the courts facing an allegation of assault and mischief, the victim in that case was also a sex-trade worker and the offence is alleged to have occurred in a hotel as well,” said Insp. Koekkoek.

(…)

Insp. Koekkoek said police believe Mr. Murray was a customer of Ms. Castillo’s, who also worked as a caregiver. But investigators are still trying to determine whether the two had any previous contacts.

Police did not reveal any other details about Ms. Castillo, but published reports said she arrived in Canada from the Philippines about two years ago.

Ms. Castillo’s murder was the Peel region’s fifth homicide of 2014.

The Canadian Press

TORONTO: Thousands gather to honour life of Eritrean coummnity leader Nahom Tsehaie Berhane stabbed to death on September 27

Slain Eritrean community leader Nahom Berhane honoured by thousandsThousands of Eritreans gathered to honour the life of young civic leader Nahom Tsehaie Berhane who was stabbed to death last week.
  • Share on Facebook
  • Reddit this!
Mourners from the Eritrean community weep outside the funeral of civic leader Nahom Tsehaie Berhane, who was stabbed to death last week.

OLIVIA CARVILLE / TORONTO STAR

Mourners from the Eritrean community weep outside the funeral of civic leader Nahom Tsehaie Berhane, who was stabbed to death last week.

By: Olivia Carville Staff Reporter, Published on Sat Oct 04 2014

Hundreds of members of Toronto’s Eritrean community chanted in grief for more than an hour as they honoured the life of slain civic leader Nahom Tsehaie Berhane on Saturday.

The women, wearing traditional white head scarves, wept during the service.

The men, in black suits, bowed their heads.

Berhane, 34, was stabbed to death as he was walking with friends along Danforth Ave. near Greenwood Ave., on Sept. 27.

The father of two was well-known in the city’s Eritrean community and the Medhane Alem Eritrean Orthodox Tewahdo Church, near Dufferin St. and Eglinton Ave. W., was overflowing with mourners Saturday morning. Continue reading

ABBOTSFORD, B.C.: Ongoing conflict between two Indo-Canadian groups in the Fraser Valley leaves young Sikh man dead

Friday, October 3rd, 2014 | Posted by admin

Teen Shot To Death In Abbotsford’s Ongoing Conflict Between Two Indo-Canadian Groups

Police on scene of an apparent drive-by shooting that ended the life of an Indo-Canadian in his late teens.

Homicide investigators in the Lower Mainland have been busy of late with murders taking place all over the lower mainland and now in the Fraser Valley with this latest killing of young Indo-Canadian which the LINK has learned is Herman Biring, the son of Sukhjivan Singh Biring “Thakra”,  who is also known as a promoter of Punjabi shows in the Abbotsford area.

By R. Paul Dhillon

With News Files

ABBOTSFORD – A drive-by shooting in Abbotsford left a young man dead, who sources out of Abbotsford say is an Indo-Canadian in his late teens

(…)

Sources tell the LINK that Herman Biring is the victim of ongoing conflict between two Indo-Canadian groups in the Fraser Valley, which police had earlier warned would get more violent and feared people dying as a result of the continuing escalation

Police responded to the area around Sparrow Drive and Goldfinch Street in the city just after 8 p.m.

They found a male, believed to be in his late teens, slumped over inside a dark coloured SUV and suffering from apparent gunshot wounds, reported CTV News.

He was pronounced dead on scene. Continue reading

TORONTO: Paedophile Ryan Belbin convicted of abducting, assaulting 4-year-old Jewish girl

Man convicted of abducting, assaulting 4-year-old girl
BY , TORONTO SUN

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

Ryan Belbin

Ryan Belbin. (TORONTO POLICE PHOTO)

TORONTO - A man who snuck into an unlocked home, abducted a four-year-old girl from her bed and sexually assaulted her on Boxing Day 2011, was found guilty of all charges Thursday.

Ryan Belbin — who had no prior criminal convictions — snatched the sleeping girl at 3 a.m., stripped her naked and was “hunkering over” the child in a North York backyard when the panicked victim’s father discovered the horrifying sight, Justice Nola Garton said in a written judgment.

Belbin, 30, will be sentenced for breaking and entering, abduction of a minor, sexual assault and sexual interference on Nov. 27.

Garton found that the alternative suspects suggested by defence lawyer Jennifer Penman — the victim’s father and another neighbour — weren’t the culprits and Crown attorney Sheila Cressman proved Belbin was the offender.

(…)

The judge found that Belbin stopped his attack when the victim’s father screamed. Belbin then sprinted eastbound in the Bathurst-Wilson area.

The hysterical father cradled his child in his arms and returned to his parents’ home — where the family was visiting from Connecticut.

Belbin’s DNA was found on the victim’s pyjamas but it couldn’t be determined what “particular bodily fluid was the source,” said Garton.

Penman argued that Belbin’s DNA — either from spit or urine on the ground — could have been innocently transferred on to the clothing during the assault.

Belbin, who lived in close proximity to the victim’s relatives, delivered newspapers in the area until two weeks before the incident.

___________

http://www.cireport.ca/2011/12/4-year-old-jewish-girl-released-from-hospital-after-being-raped.html

NORTH YORK: RAPED 4-YEAR-OLD JEWISH GIRL RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL

4-year-old sexual assault victim released from hospital
Published 1 hour 16 minutes ago
Josh Tapper

Staff Reporter

A 4-year-old girl abducted from a north Toronto home and sexually assaulted was released from hospital on Tuesday.

The girl, who was visiting with family from Connecticut, was abducted early Monday morning from her grandparents’ home on Charleswood Dr., near Bathurst St. and Wilson Ave. While police released few details on the kidnapping or assault, a woman who identified herself as the girl’s grandmother said the ordeal “had a happy ending,” referring to her granddaughter’s discharge from hospital.

“By the grace of God,” she said, standing inside her doorway Tuesday morning.

As a cold rain drizzled outside, neighbours visited the house, which belongs to an orthodox Jewish family.

Police said a man grabbed the girl between 3 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. Monday. Family discovered the girl a short distance from the house “within minutes of the abduction and saw a man fleeing the scene,” police said.

Police did not confirm a sexual assault occurred until Monday evening.

The suspect is described as a white man, 19 or 20 years old, with an average build, between 5-foot-6 and 5-foot-10. He was last seen wearing a blue jacket or sweatshirt, dark sweatpants or jeans and striped, bluish toque.

(…)

CALGARY: HIV positive Sudanese man withheld his health condition from woman he married

Sudan: HIV/AIDS prevalence was 2.6 percent in 2012

KEVIN MARTIN | QMI AGENCY

CALGARY – Passing his HIV virus to his unsuspecting new bride was a criminal act, a judge ruled Friday in finding a Calgary man guilty of aggravated sexual assault.

Provincial court Judge Gord Wong said the man, who can’t be named to protect his victim’s identity, withheld his health condition from the woman.

As a result, Wong said the woman’s consent to sexual contact with him was gained through fraud, making it a crime.

Because the offender put the woman’s life at risk, the offence constituted an aggravated sexual assault – a crime that carries a maximum punishment of 14 years.

The 30-year-old Sudanese native met the victim at a party in May 2011.

Within days of their first contact he began talking to her about marriage and they wed in July, Wong noted.

By October, the woman suspected she was with child and went for a pregnancy test.

“Tests were conducted, which confirmed she was pregnant,” Wong noted.

“Unfortunately, those same tests showed that she had been infected by the HIV virus,” he said.

The offender became infected with the life-threatening illness before coming to Canada in 2004 and learned of his condition a year earlier.

(…)

Toronto lawyer Meerai Cho arrested in condo fraud totalling $12.4-million

Police laid 75 charges against Meerai Cho, 63, related to condo fraud totalling $12.4-million in expected losses from deposits on units at 5220 Yonge St.

Toronto lawyer arrested in alleged condo fraud totalling $12.4-million

KAT SIENIUC

The Globe and Mail

Published 

Last updated 

A Toronto lawyer was arrested Tuesday after at least 25 people came forward alleging they paid deposits for a condo in north Toronto, only to learn later that the land had been sold, the developer had fled and their money was gone.

Police laid 75 charges against Meerai Cho, 63, related to condo fraud totalling $12.4-million in expected losses from deposits on units at 5220 Yonge St.

(…)

At a time when construction is booming in Toronto, the alleged fraud calls into question whether strong enough safeguards exist for condo buyers in the city. While real estate lawyers and authorities say a crime of this nature is rare, others say the new-sale market needs more oversight.

“This wasn’t something that somebody met them [victims] down the back alley. This was a condo development, they were dealing with a lawyer at this time, and the purpose of the trust account is to hold the monies in trust, they are not supposed to be moved,” Det. Constable Devereaux said.

The victims’ losses vary from $40,000 to $700,000 in deposits, according to police. Continue reading

TORONTO: Franklin Afrifa arrested in killing of Olatoyebi Waheed; Benard Asante still at large

 

Police are searching for Benard Asante, aka Benard Kissi, 24, of Toronto in connection to a fatal drive-by shooting near Jane and Eglinton earlier this week. Police have arrested Franklin Afrifa, 25, on charges of first-degree murder and attempted murder. He is scheduled to appear in court on Monday. Asante is wanted on the same charges.

Man arrested in fatal drive-by shooting

One man has been arrested and police are still searching for a second in connection to the shooting on Aug. 19, which killed a Toronto man.

By:  Staff Reporter, Published on Sun Aug 24 2014

A man has been arrested and one man is still wanted in connection to a fatal drive-by shooting earlier this week.

EMS was called to the area of Jane St. and Eglinton Ave. W. around 6:45 p.m. on Monday, to what appeared to be a targeted drive-by shooting on a busy North York street.

Olatoyebi Waheed, 24, of Toronto, was killed in the shooting, and a 23-year-old man sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Toronto Police executed two search warrants at residential addresses in Toronto on Sunday.

Franklin Afrifa, 25, of Toronto, was arrested at one of the homes. He faces charges of first-degree murder and attempted murder, and is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.

Police are still searching for Benard Asante, also known as Benard Kissi, 24, of Toronto. He is wanted on the same charges.

Asante is described as black, five feet five inches, and 130 lbs. He has his hair in cornrows. Continue reading

QUEBEC CITY: Nadjat Boudjerima and Nora Boudjerima arrested and charged in bomb scare

Appel à la bombe : les sœurs Boudjerima évaluées et accusées

Nicolas Saillant

Dernière mise à jour: 08-09-2014 | 09h30

QUÉBEC – Les patientes de l’urgence de l’Hôtel-Dieu qui ont prétendu être en possession d’une bombe dimanche soir font maintenant face à des accusations de méfait, faux message et menace.

Nadjat Boudjerima, 41 ans et sa sœur, Nora Boudjerima, 45 ans, ont comparu lundi après-midi après avoir obtenu leur congé de l’hôpital où elles avaient été amenées après leur arrestation tôt en matinée.

Les deux femmes, qui ont créé tout un émoi dans la nuit de dimanche à lundi à l’hôpital de l’Hôtel-Dieu, font face à des accusations de menace de détruire, faux message et méfait. Continue reading

TORONTO: Hicham Laghzaoui charged with sexual assault on a man

Several charges have been laid against 38 year old Hicham Laghzaoui including assault with a weapon and sexual assault on a man.TORONTO POLICE SERVICE

Arrest Made in Downtown Sexual Assault

Toronto, ON, Canada / Talk Radio AM640

September 08, 2014 11:22 am

Toronto Police have charged a woman in connection with a sexual assault downtown early Saturday morning.

Police say it happened around 3a.m. in the Dundas Street West and McCaul Street area, when a woman entered a home through the front door left unlocked.

Police allege the woman confronted the tenants inside and threatened to pepper spray them. According to police a man was then sexually assaulted.

Several charges have been laid against 38 year old Hicham Laghzaoui including assault with a weapon and sexual assault.

Police believe there could be more victims and are reminding the public, specifically university and college students, to lock their doors.

Dutch Jacobus Marinus van Nierop to be deported to face criminal charges in France

September 5, 2014 1:02 pm

Fugitive Dutch dentist, wanted for mutilating patients, ordered held

By Staff  The Canadian Press

MONTREAL – A Dutch dentist arrested this week in New Brunswick and wanted in France for allegedly mutilating patients through botched procedures will remain detained pending his removal from Canada.

Jacobus Marinus van Nierop had a detention review before the Immigration and Refugee Board Friday via teleconference.

(…)

The Canada Border Services Agency says it is making plans to return van Nierop to his native Holland, but that could change if French authorities demand he be returned to that country to face criminal charges.

(…)

In a strange twist, van Nierop told the hearing he thought he was being held in connection with the murder of his wife in the Netherlands in 2006.

© The Canadian Press, 2014