Category Archives: Black/African crime

CALGARY: HIV positive Sudanese man withheld his health condition from woman he married

Sudan: HIV/AIDS prevalence was 2.6 percent in 2012

KEVIN MARTIN | QMI AGENCY

CALGARY – Passing his HIV virus to his unsuspecting new bride was a criminal act, a judge ruled Friday in finding a Calgary man guilty of aggravated sexual assault.

Provincial court Judge Gord Wong said the man, who can’t be named to protect his victim’s identity, withheld his health condition from the woman.

As a result, Wong said the woman’s consent to sexual contact with him was gained through fraud, making it a crime.

Because the offender put the woman’s life at risk, the offence constituted an aggravated sexual assault – a crime that carries a maximum punishment of 14 years.

The 30-year-old Sudanese native met the victim at a party in May 2011.

Within days of their first contact he began talking to her about marriage and they wed in July, Wong noted.

By October, the woman suspected she was with child and went for a pregnancy test.

“Tests were conducted, which confirmed she was pregnant,” Wong noted.

“Unfortunately, those same tests showed that she had been infected by the HIV virus,” he said.

The offender became infected with the life-threatening illness before coming to Canada in 2004 and learned of his condition a year earlier.

(…)

TORONTO: Franklin Afrifa arrested in killing of Olatoyebi Waheed; Benard Asante still at large

 

Police are searching for Benard Asante, aka Benard Kissi, 24, of Toronto in connection to a fatal drive-by shooting near Jane and Eglinton earlier this week. Police have arrested Franklin Afrifa, 25, on charges of first-degree murder and attempted murder. He is scheduled to appear in court on Monday. Asante is wanted on the same charges.

Man arrested in fatal drive-by shooting

One man has been arrested and police are still searching for a second in connection to the shooting on Aug. 19, which killed a Toronto man.

By:  Staff Reporter, Published on Sun Aug 24 2014

A man has been arrested and one man is still wanted in connection to a fatal drive-by shooting earlier this week.

EMS was called to the area of Jane St. and Eglinton Ave. W. around 6:45 p.m. on Monday, to what appeared to be a targeted drive-by shooting on a busy North York street.

Olatoyebi Waheed, 24, of Toronto, was killed in the shooting, and a 23-year-old man sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Toronto Police executed two search warrants at residential addresses in Toronto on Sunday.

Franklin Afrifa, 25, of Toronto, was arrested at one of the homes. He faces charges of first-degree murder and attempted murder, and is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.

Police are still searching for Benard Asante, also known as Benard Kissi, 24, of Toronto. He is wanted on the same charges.

Asante is described as black, five feet five inches, and 130 lbs. He has his hair in cornrows. Continue reading

TORONTO: Hicham Laghzaoui charged with sexual assault on a man

Several charges have been laid against 38 year old Hicham Laghzaoui including assault with a weapon and sexual assault on a man.TORONTO POLICE SERVICE

Arrest Made in Downtown Sexual Assault

Toronto, ON, Canada / Talk Radio AM640

September 08, 2014 11:22 am

Toronto Police have charged a woman in connection with a sexual assault downtown early Saturday morning.

Police say it happened around 3a.m. in the Dundas Street West and McCaul Street area, when a woman entered a home through the front door left unlocked.

Police allege the woman confronted the tenants inside and threatened to pepper spray them. According to police a man was then sexually assaulted.

Several charges have been laid against 38 year old Hicham Laghzaoui including assault with a weapon and sexual assault.

Police believe there could be more victims and are reminding the public, specifically university and college students, to lock their doors.

TORONTO: Black male suspect sought after convenience store owner threatened with knife

Suspect sought after convenience store owner threatened with knife

convenience store, knifeToronto police released this image of a man who investigators say allegedly attempted to assault a convenience store owner with a knife on Saturday, Aug. 16.
Codi Wilson, CP24.com
Published Saturday, August 16, 2014 8:55PM EDT
Last Updated Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:01PM EDT

Police are searching for a suspect who investigators say attempted to assault a convenience store owner with a knife Saturday afternoon.

According to Toronto police, the suspect entered a convenience store in the area of Bathurst Street and Drewry Avenue at around 12:30 p.m. and a verbal altercation occurred between the two men.

Police say the suspect pulled out a knife and began to swing it at the store owner. The owner, police say, was not struck but the suspect made multiple attempts to assault the man.

The suspect has been described as a black male, in his 30s, approximately five-foot-ten to six feet, with a large, muscular build, and a clean-shaven face.

He was last seen wearing a dark t-shirt and dark shorts.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-3204 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477).

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/suspect-sought-after-convenience-store-owner-threatened-with-knife-1.1963089#ixzz3Abha4PZA

14-year-old among nine arrested in string of bank robberies

Boy, 14, among nine arrested in string of bank robberies

  • Share on Facebook
  • Reddit this!
By: The Canadian Press, Published on Fri Aug 15 2014

Five men and four teens have been charged — and another teen is being sought — in a string of bank robberies in the Toronto area.

Police say five banks were robbed in Toronto and Markham between July 22 and Aug. 13.

(…)

Rashawn Samuels, 20, of Ajax and Samuel Smith, 18, Elroy Christie, 20, Karlos Perkins, 20, and Joleel Alfred, 22, all of Toronto, are facing multiple charges, including robbery while armed and conspiracy to commit robbery.

Two 17-year-old boys, a 16-year-old boy and a 14-year-old boy, all of Toronto, are also charged with robbery and other offences.

A 17-year-old Mississauga boy is wanted on robbery charges.

(…)

MONTREAL: Haitian gang leader Ducarme Joseph executed in the middle of the street

Police say Joseph was leader of Montreal’s 67 gang

CBC News Posted: Aug 02, 2014 8:50 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 02, 2014 10:52 AM ET

Reputed gang leader Ducarme Joseph was fatally shot in the Saint-Michel neighbourhood last night.

Joseph, 46, was found in the middle of a street around 10:15 p.m., near the corner of Saint-Michel Boulevard and Michel-Ange Street.

ducarme joseph Police have called Ducarme Joseph the most dangerous street gang member in Montreal. (Montreal Police)

Officers and paramedics responded to the call, and Joseph was declared dead at the scene.

“Upon their arrival they found the body of a man in his 40s, with serious wounds to his upper body. We’re talking about gunshot wounds,” said Const. Francois Collard with the Montreal Police.

Collard said police have not made any arrests and have no suspects at this time.

Police analyst Stéphane Berthomet told Radio-Canada that more than one criminal organization could have reason to kill Joseph.

“All hypotheses are still open. There is the Mafia, the bikers, and other gangs. The possibilities are vast,” said Berthomet. Continue reading

SURREY,B.C.: Serial killer Charles Kembo loses conviction appeal

Four-time Surrey murderer loses conviction appeal

Charles Kembo was found guilty in 2010 of the first-degree murder of four people. He lost an appeal of those convictions this week. - File Photo / The Leader

Charles Kembo was found guilty in 2010 of the first-degree murder of four people. He lost an appeal of those convictions this week.

— Image Credit: File Photo / The Leader

A Surrey man found guilty of the planned murders of four people, including his wife and step-daughter, has lost an appeal of his convictions.

A jury found Charles Eli Kembo guilty of four counts of first-degree murder in 2010. He sought to have those convictions overturned on the grounds the judge made numerous errors, including in her instructions to the jury, combining the evidence of the different murder counts and admitting prejudicial portions of a police statement and referring to that statement as a confession. Continue reading

Undeportable Michael Mvogo kept in jail for 8 years

Michael Mvogo, shown in an image taken from a photocopy, has been held without charge in a Canadian detention centre for eight years. He hasn't been deported because officials were unable for a long time to confirm his identity, and Cameroon, the country he revealed he is from, won't issue him documents.

 

Michael Mvogo, shown in an image taken from a photocopy, has been held without charge in a Canadian detention centre for eight years. He hasn’t been deported because officials were unable for a long time to confirm his identity, and Cameroon, the country he revealed he is from, won’t issue him documents.

By:  Immigration reporter, Published on Thu Jul 24 2014

Canada should immediately release a man who has been imprisoned for eight years over immigration violations, says a United Nations human rights monitoring body.

“The inability of a state party to carry out the expulsion of an individual does not justify detention beyond the shortest period of time or where there are alternatives to detention, and under no circumstances indefinite detention,” said the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights’ Working Group on Arbitrary Detentions. Continue reading

TORONTO: Alhaji Kabba wanted in Kijiji beating

4 Held, Beaten, Threatened With Machete While Responding To Kijiji Ad

CBC  |  Posted: 07/19/2014 1:02 pm EDT  |  Updated: 07/19/2014 5:59 pm EDT

alhaji kabba kijiji beating

Police are searching for a man who forcibly held and beat four young people while threatening them with a machete after they met him in response to a Kijiji ad.

Police said an 18-year-old man, along with three friends, went to meet another man in the Jane Street and Grandravine Drive area about a car for sale on the website Kijiji on Monday, July 14.

It is alleged that the four met the man in an underground garage and were shown the car before being surrounded by a group men who appeared quite suddenly.

(…)

Alhaji Kabba, 18, of Toronto is wanted for:

- Robbery with a Firearm

- Forcible Confinement

- Extortion

- Assault with a Weapon

- Aggravated Assault

- Fail to Comply Recognizance

He is described as black, 6-1″, 180 lbs., with black hair and brown eyes. His photograph has been released and is shown above.

Police are urging the public to call 911 if they see him and not to approach the man as he is considered armed and dangerous. 

CALGARY: Albert Onolunose and Abeba Girma charged in Nigerian scam

 

Albert Valentine Onolunose

Albert Valentine Onolunose
http://boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Human:274760

 

Calgary boxer and woman charged in lottery scam

Suspects arrested after jumping from 2nd-floor balcony

CBC News Posted: Jun 11, 2014 9:59 AM MT Last Updated: Jun 11, 2014 8:34 PM MT

Calgary boxer Albert Onolunose is one of two people charged in connection with an alleged lottery scam.

Onolunose, 34, andAbeba Girma, 25, were arrested after police executed a search warrant at a residence on Glamis Drive S.W.

Onolunose won the Canadian middleweight championship on the professional boxing circuit in May of last year in Calgary.

Police say while officers were searching the premises, the two suspects tried to flee by jumping from a second-floor balcony. They were caught after a short foot chase.

Investigators believe the two were involved in a lottery scam in which victims received letters in the mail stating they had won a lottery.

“Prior to receiving the money they were asked to send percentages of that money, so varying percentages of that money based on taxes calculated and administrative fees, said Staff Sgt. Kristie Verheul.

Police found credit card information, mail with counterfeit postage and mailing lists inside the Calgary residence.

According to police, Canada Post located more than 5,000 letters with the same counterfeit postage which were addressed to people across Canada and the United States.

Onolunose is charged with five counts of possession of credit card data, one count of fraud over $5,000, using mail to defraud and counterfeiting stamps.

Abeba Girma is charged with one count of identity theft.

They will appear in court later this month.

In 2010 Onolunose was charged with numerous fraud and money-laundering offences, also in connection with a fake lotto scam.

 

Nigerian scam