Montreal-born Ayanie Hassan Ali arrested in stabbing attack at a Toronto military recruitment centre

Canadian Forces centre stabbing suspect: What we know so far

Ayanie Hassan AliPolice have identified the suspect arrested in connection with a stabbing attack at a Toronto military recruitment centre as 27-year-old Ayanie Hassan Ali. (Austin Delaney / CTV News)

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Tuesday, March 15, 2016 11:13AM EDT

A 27-year-old Montreal-born man with no previous criminal record is now facing several charges, including attempted murder, in connection with a double stabbing at a military recruitment centre in Toronto.

Ayanie Hassan Ali has been charged with two counts of assault with a weapon, one count of attempted murder and one count of aggravated assault.

At a news conference on Tuesday, Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders identified Ali as the accused, describing him as a Canadian citizen who was born in Montreal, and has lived in Toronto since 2011.

Saunders said the suspect had no previous criminal record. The police chief said the accused is not cooperating with police, and asked the public for any information or tips in relation to the incident at a recruitment centre located on Yonge Street in the city’s north end on Monday afternoon.

The police chief said the accused walked past a uniformed master corporal stationed at the door of the centre and then stabbed him. He also stabbed another military member who tried to intervene. Saunders said, at some point during the knife attack, the accused said “Allah told me to do this. Allah told me to come here and kill people.”

Police stressed that there is nothing to indicate that the accused is working with anyone or any terrorist organizations.

Ali is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday afternoon.

____________

CIR

Somali?

Shafia appeal: Expert’s ‘honour killing’ testimony wasn’t cultural profiling, Crown says

Shafia appeal: Expert’s ‘honour killing’ testimony wasn’t cultural profiling, Crown says

Appeal hearing for Shafia family wraps up in Toronto, judges reserve decision

By Ron Charles, CBC News Posted: Mar 04, 2016 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Mar 04, 2016 3:37 PM ET

Mohammad Shafia, Hamed Shafia and Tooba Yahya are all serving life sentences with no chance of parole for 25 years for the 2009 murder of four female members of their family. Their defence teams are arguing in Ontario appeal court that they deserve a new trial.

Mohammad Shafia, Hamed Shafia and Tooba Yahya are all serving life sentences with no chance of parole for 25 years for the 2009 murder of four female members of their family. Their defence teams are arguing in Ontario appeal court that they deserve a new trial. (Lars Hagberg/Reuters)

Related Stories

Expert testimony on the practice of so-called honour killing did not prejudice the jury against three members of the Shafia family convicted in 2012 of murdering four female relatives, the Crown argued in an Ontario appeal court Friday. 

SOMALI COMMUNITY: Imam Abdi Hersy not deported in relation to sex assault case

Deportation order against Calgary Imam halted

Imam Abdi Hersy Imam Abdi Hersy will not be deported in relation to a sex assault case.

Cynthia RoebuckCynthia Roebuck, Anchor/Reporter

@CTVCRoebuck

Published Saturday, February 13, 2016 1:55PM MST
Last Updated Saturday, February 13, 2016 4:35PM MST

Imam Abdi Hersy will not be deported from Canada for now based on sex assault allegations in the U.S.

The prominent leader in Calgary’s Somali community is accused of sexually assaulting two women while he worked as a respiratory therapist in Minnesota in 2006.

Hersy says he is innocent, and has tried to go back to the states to face the charges, but was deported back to Canada.

Ottawa has tried to revoke Hersy’s refugee status, but he successfully appealed, and a federal court judge decided on February 12, 2016 that Hersy can stay in Canada.

“I was excited,” said Imam Hersy. “I knew the law was on my side all the time. This is the second time I won in a federal court. And I’m excited, I’m happy that justice is finally served.”

The federal court has decided the matter will now go to another immigration and refugee board member for re-consideration.

MONTREAL: Johra Kaleki’s daughter forgives her mother and asks for a less severe sentence

Johra Kaleki, mother who attacked daughter with meat cleaver, given three years in jail

MONTREAL, QC.: MARCH 10, 2015 -- Johra Kaleki at the Montreal courthouse on Tuesday, March 10, 2015 where was to  learn whether she will be convicted or not in the case where she attacked her daughter, in their home in Dorval in 2010, with a meat cleaver. (John Kenney / MONTREAL GAZETTE)
On Tuesday, Paradis sentenced Johra Kaleki to three years in prison, with 100 days being deducted for time she’s already spent in custody.JOHN KENNEY / MONTREAL GAZETTE

A Dorval mother who was found guilty of attempted murder afterattacking her daughter with a meat cleaver was sentenced to three years in prison at the Montreal courthouse on Tuesday.

Johra Kaleki, 44, attacked her then 19-year-old daughter, Bahar Ebrahimi, in 2010 when she came home in the early morning after being out all night.

Kaleki was found guilty last March after Quebec Court Judge Yves Paradis rejected the defence’s argument that Kaleki was criminally not responsible for her actions given a “temporary psychotic disorder.

On Tuesday, Paradis sentenced her to three years in prison, with 100 days being deducted for time she’s already spent in custody.

Last November, the Crown had recommended Kaleki be detained for 10 years, while defence lawyer Isabel Schurman asked Paradis to consider a three-year suspended sentence with community work.

Kaleki has testified that she doesn’t remember what happened that night in 2010. She’s also said she doesn’t remember being interrogated by police afterward, during which she recalled the attack in significant detail and expressed remorse. 

HALIFAX: Iraqi Hassan Al-Awaid helped thousands pretend they were in Canada to get around citizenship rules

Halifax man helped thousands pretend they were in Canada to get around citizenship rules

Google Maps

Al-Batool Islamic Association in Halifax, which immigration consultant Hassan Al-Awaid was president of. (Google maps)

If anyone dialed the Halifax phone number Mohd Morelley wrote in his application for citizenship as proof he was integrating in Canada, it would ring out in an office on the outskirts of Halifax. Someone might answer, but it wouldn’t be Morelley or his wife or three children, who all wanted to be Canadians.

They were all living in Kuwait.

Along with the bogus phone number, Morelley and his family bought a full-service bogus citizenship package from an immigration consultant, including a Halifax address for a home he never lived in, tax returns and employment records for a job he never held, payment of utility bills he never used, ATM withdrawals to show local transactions he didn’t make and a letter from a local Islamic society saying he was deeply involved in the activities at a mosque he didn’t attend.

My office is one of the famous offices in Nova Scotia

Everything needed to create a pretend life in Canada.

Morelley’s phantom phone — and fake life — were far from unique: more than 140 cell phones, labeled with the number and name of a client, were organized in the Bedford Highway office of the Canadian Commercial Group, run by immigration consultant Hassan Al-Awaid.

MISSISSAUGA: Iqbal Hessan arrested for several vandalism incidents at Catholic church in Canada

FIGURES! Man arrested for several vandalism incidents at a Catholic church in Canada is a Muslim

Trending story found an hour ago on pegida.trendolizer.com

FIGURES! Man arrested for several vandalism incidents at a Catholic church in Canada is a Muslim Share it:

Iqbal Hessan, 22,  Mississauga MUSLIM man from Afghanistan is facing several breaking and entering as well as mischief charges in relation to a number of vandalism incidents targeting … (via: trendolizer.com) (via: trendolizer.com)
______________