RICHMOND: Chinese woman robbed by two men, one described as South Asian

No coincidence woman robbed after flat tire: VPD

Police believe her car was tampered with


SEPTEMBER 18, 2015 09:29 AM

Police are hoping CCTV footage will identify two men suspected of robbing a woman who withdrew $5,000 from a Richmond bank.

The woman, who is of Chinese ethnicity, took the cash from the bank, believed to be the TD Canada branch in Lansdowne Centre, on Monday, Sept. 14 at around 11 a.m.

However, at around 11:30 a.m., while en route to meet a friend in Vancouver, she noticed a tire on her car was flat and pulled into a parking lot near 57th Avenue and Oak Street in south Vancouver.

As she got out of the car, two men, one described as being south Asian, ran over and grabbed her purse containing the cash.

According to Const. Brian Montague, of the Vancouver Police Department (VPD), the victim does not believe she was targeted.

Her account of the incident, however, is leading the VPD to strongly suspect that she was singled out at the bank in Richmond and that her tire was tampered with by the men.

“It is possible this was random, but it would be too much of a coincidence that she got a flat tire shortly after withdrawing a large sum of money from the bank and then two men show up at her car within seconds and rob her,” added Montague.

Police are currently looking for video footage of the area around the bank and the mall at Lansdowne Centre.

Montague said police are, as yet, unable to release any more information about the suspects.

“We do get crimes of this nature from time to time; it’s always good to be aware of your surroundings, especially coming from the bank,” advised Montague.

“We suggest you keep your money and important identification items out of your purse and wallet. Losing your identification can cause a major disruption to your life.”

Anyone with information should contact the VPD at 604-717-3321 or Crimestoppers free and anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.

© 2015 Richmond News

- See more at:

Harinder Singh Cheema extradited back to Canada, wanted for wife’s murder

Man wanted for wife’s murder extradited back to Canada

Harinder Singh Cheema, 36Harinder Singh Cheema had been on the lam for more than seven years.

CTV Montreal
Published Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:39PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, July 24, 2015 8:07AM EDT

One of Quebec’s most wanted is now back in Montreal.

Harinder Singh Cheema was brought back to Canada from California last night.

Cheema is facing second-degree murder charges for the 2007 stabbing death of his wife.

He was found through his fingerprints when he made an application for permanent residency status in the United States. He had been living in San Francisco under a false name.

Iranian man convicted of sex assault of ex-girlfriend

A North Vancouver man has been convicted of assaulting and sexually assaulting his former girlfriend.

The pair, young adults of Iranian heritage, met in late 2012 and began a romantic relationship that the victim, who is only identified by the initials S.M. in a court ruling, described as being initially “generally satisfying and pleasant.”

But S.M. had some concerns about her boyfriend, only identified as M.H., because he was suspicious of her and tried to prevent her from socializing with her friends.

She testified that in May 2013, following a conversation, he slapped her twice across the face, causing a nose bleed and injuries to her lip and eye.

S.M. told the court that she didn’t want anyone in the Iranian community to know what had happened because nothing like that had ever happened to her before, she was an independent person and did not want to be seen to be a victim.

Sabastian Prosa found guilty of impaired driving causing death in 2012 crash

Prosa found guilty of impaired driving causing death in 2012 crash

CBC News Posted: Jun 26, 2015 11:05 AM ET Last Updated: Jun 26, 2015 11:54 AM ET

sabastian-prosa-20150103Sabastian Prosa’s blood-alcohol level was nearly twice the legal limit. (Alex Tavshunsky/CBC)

Sabastian Prosa, who was driving an SUV the wrong way on a highway when it struck a van with a family inside nearly three years ago, has been found guilty of 12 charges including impaired driving causing death.

The crash left Jayantha Wijeratne, 49, and his 16-year-old daughter, Eleesha, dead. Antonette Wijeratne, the wife and mother of the deceased, survived the crash but spent months in hospital recovering from her injuries.

Prosa’s blood-alcohol level was nearly twice the legal limit, according to an agreed statement of facts entered in court.

But Prosa has testified that he doesn’t remember the event and that he believes someone had slipped a drug in his drink at a nightclub before the crash.

The judge in the case, Justice Glenn Hainey, said Prosa’s testimony was both not credible and troubling. He said the fact that Prosa couldn’t remember anything from the night in question even before Prosa claimed to have been drugged raised serious questions about his testimony.

Hainey characterized Prosa as having a “selective memory” and said that he “tailored his evidence to support his defence.”

B.C.: Refugee family from Saudi Arabia built notorious family crime empire in Canada

B.C. parents learn hard $170,000 lesson in breeding ‘family crime empire’

Republish Reprint

 | June 11, 2015 10:56 PM ET
More from Adrian Humphreys | @AD_Humphreys

The family’s fourth son, Mahmoud Alkhalil, was one of three people killed in a notorious gunfight in 2003 in Vancouver’s Loft Six nightclub.

Nick Procaylo/Postmedia News/Files The family’s fourth son, Mahmoud Alkhalil, was one of three people killed in a notorious gunfight in 2003 in Vancouver’s Loft Six nightclub.

Two of their sons died in gangland shootouts, two others face drug trafficking or murder charges from mob-related incidents, and a fifth is on the run abroad. Now, their parents are learning another hard lesson in breeding a self-made crime group — they’ve lost the $170,000 they posted to have their eldest son released from jail.

Hossein Al Khalil and Soumayya Azzam were fighting in court to salvage bond money paid to have Nabil Alkhalil released. Their bond was lost when he fled Canada on a bogus passport soon after.

The judge’s ruling against them — with Nabil still a fugitive — is but one entry in an unrelenting stream of bad news involving their sons.

Toronto Police Service

Toronto Police Service Rabih Alkhalil is charged in a Vancouver hit and in a shooting at a cafe patio in Toronto’s Little Italy.

These two parents of five sons came to Canada, presumably to make a better life for themselves. Now, having buried two kids before they reached the age of 20, they have two more facing the possibility of a long time in prison,” said Sgt. Lindsey Houghton of B.C.’s Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit.

“The actions of these boys have destroyed that family.”

The family arrived in Canada from Saudi Arabia as refugees in 1990, although their roots are believed to be in Iran, and settled in Surrey, B.C. After two sons were killed in gangland violence, they moved to Ottawa and Montreal.

“They took all of their organized crime and gang connections with them,” said Houghton.

The couple’s second son had been the first to die.

In 2001, Khalil Alkhalil, 19, was shot dead in Surrey in a gunfight over a drug debt. His killer claimed self-defence and was freed. The shooter’s lawyer was beaten up in court by angry supporters of Alkhalil, and the shooter himself was later gunned down in Kelowna in a case that remains unsolved.

The fourth son, Mahmoud Alkhalil, was one of three people killed in a notorious gunfight in 2003 between gang rivals in Vancouver’s Loft Six nightclub. He made it out of the building, but was found bleeding and unconscious after crashing his car 20 blocks away. When he succumbed to his injuries at age 19, he already had a lengthy criminal record.

The youngest son, Rabih “Robby” Alkhalil, was only two when he came to Canada.

OTTAWA: Taxi driver captured on video shouting a racial slur and profanities now out of job

Screen capture/YouTube A security guard gets caught in a heated exchange with an Ottawa taxi driver.

An Ottawa taxi driver is out of a job after he was captured on video shouting a racial slur and profanities at a security guard while allegedly refusing to move his car for an ambulance.

Video footage of the incident was uploaded to YouTube Wednesday.

Coventry Connections taxi service president Hanif Patni said Thursday afternoon the Capital Taxi driver filmed in the video declined an invitation to speak to his employer about the incident.

When asked if the driver was dismissed, Patni said, “he won’t be working with us at all.”

The City of Ottawa has also suspended the driver’s taxi license.