REGINA: Andrew James Pittman and Min Sun Park charged with trafficking cocaine, meth

Two charged with trafficking cocaine, meth in Regina

CocaineCTV Regina

Published Friday, February 26, 2016 11:20AM CST

A man and a woman are facing charges after Regina police seized a large quantity of cocaine and methamphetamine from a home in the city.

The arrests come after officers carried out a search warrant at a home in the 500 block of University Park Drive on Thursday.

In addition to cocaine and meth, police seized an undisclosed amount of cash.

Andrew James Pittman, 33, and Min Sun Park, 27, both from Regina, each face charges that include drug trafficking and possession of proceeds of crime.

The two accused made their first appearance in provincial court Friday morning.

CALGARY: Six suspects charged in connection with armed home invasion in Citadel

Six suspects charged in connection with armed home invasion in Citadel

Ryan White , Reporter/Producer

Published Friday, February 26, 2016 2:22PM MST
Last Updated Friday, February 26, 2016 2:56PM MST

A Calgary Police Service investigation into a Thursday morning home invasion in the northwest has led to charges against six people.

Early Thursday morning, police were called to a home in the 100 block of Citadel Peak Circle Northwest following reports armed men had gained entry to the residence.

The offenders allegedly tied up the two occupants and seriously assaulted a disabled man in a wheelchair. The suspects fled after removing several items from the home which housed a small marijuana grow-operation.

Marc Wabafiyebazu charged with first-degree murder in double killing in Miami

Canadian diplomat picking up pieces of shattered life as son sentenced in killings

COLIN PERKEL, THE CANADIAN PRESS

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED:

Marc Wabafiyebazu

Marc Wabafiyebazu charged with first-degree murder in double killing in Miami

Marc Wabafiyebazu, 15, appears in adult criminal court for his arraignment, Monday, April 20, 2015, in Miami. Wabafiyebazu, the son of a Canadian diplomat charged with first-degree murder in a double killing in Miami, is expected to plead guilty to reduced charges Friday. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Walter Michot/The Miami Herald via AP, Pool)
The unease Canada’s top diplomat in Miami was feeling as her car threaded its way to work that bright, warm early morning was becoming more insistent.

Her phone rang.

“Are your kids OK?” a senior official at Canada’s Embassy in Washington was asking.

“And then,” Roxanne Dube says in her French-accented lilt, “I knew something was not correct.”

As she would later discover, local authorities had contacted the U.S. State Department, which had in turn contacted the Canadian Embassy. Her unease turned to alarm as, at the urging of her embassy contact, she directed her driver to a hospital, where she was ushered into a VIP room. Someone handed her a piece of paper with a phone number to call for information. She did.

“I’m afraid I have bad news, I think we should meet,” Det. Rolando Garcia was saying. “And he said: ‘Jean is dead.’ I knew it was true because of the way he pronounced Jean’s name.”

Dube dropped the phone. Her world had imploded that sunny day on March 31, 2015. Dube could barely stagger outside.

Now 53, Dube had arrived from Ottawa with her two teen sons exactly two months earlier to take up her post as Canada’s consul general in Miami. It had been a whirlwind of wrapping up her old job — she had been director general for North America, helping oversee Canada’s consular network in the U.S. and Mexico — finding housing, moving, unpacking, getting the boys settled in school.

OTTAWA: Two male suspects wanted for ByWard Market vicious attack on woman

2 men wanted for ‘vicious’ October attack on woman in ByWard Market

2 men told woman they were lawyers from Toronto area prior to attack, police say

CBC News Posted: Jan 25, 2016 2:51 PM ET Last Updated: Jan 25, 2016 3:53 PM ET

Police have released images of two men suspected in a 'vicious' attack on a woman on Clarence Street in October 2015.

Police have released images of two men suspected in a ‘vicious’ attack on a woman on Clarence Street in October 2015. (courtesy of Ottawa police)

Ottawa police have released images of two men suspected of throwing a woman through a glass window and beating her unconscious in the ByWard Market in October.

Police said in a news release on Monday that two men between the ages of 25 and 35 approached a woman at a Clarence Street bar on the night of Oct. 17, 2015. The men told her they were lawyers from the Toronto area, police said.

The woman left the bar with another woman around 2:30 a.m. and headed to a pay station in a parking lot at 141 Clarence St., police said.

The men “viciously grabbed one of the women from behind and threw her through a glass window, shattering it,” police said in a news release.

The men repeatedly kicked the woman in the head and chest until she was unconscious, police said. She was treated in hospital and later released, police said.

The second woman was not injured during the attack, police said.

Cst. Chuck Benoit said that police began an investigation the day of the attack. After leads were unsuccessful, photos captured by parking lot surveillance cameras near the scene of the attack were released to the public.

Ottawa police have also contacted Toronto police as part of the investigation in case the men are lawyers from the area.

Anyone with information about the case or the suspects is asked to contact Ottawa police at 613-236-1222 ext. 5166 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Laylin Delorme, Colton Steinhauer and a 13-year-old boy charged with 1st-degree murder in Edmonton Mac’s shootings

2 adults, 1 boy charged with 1st-degree murder in Edmonton Mac’s shootings

Ricky Massin Cenabre, 41, Karanpal Bhangu, 35, ID’d as victims in robberies

CBC News Posted: Dec 19, 2015 9:45 AM MT Last Updated: Dec 20, 2015 6:16 AM MT

Three people were charged Saturday with first-degree murder in the killings of two convenience store clerks in Edmonton Friday.

Laylin Delorme, 24, Colton Steinhauer, 27, and a 13-year-old boy who cannot be named are each charged with two counts of first-degree murder, robbery with a prohibited restricted firearm, being disguised with intent and other offences.

All three have criminal records and were prohibited from possessing firearms, police said. The boy had been scheduled to appear in court Friday on unrelated charges.

Police also named the clerk killed at the 61st Avenue Mac’s Convenience store as Ricky Massin Cenabre, 41.

Alta Deadly Holdups 20151218

Karanpal Bhangu, 35, was killed in one of the shootings. He is shown with his son Royce and his wife Kiran in this image from the “GoFundMe” website. (GoFundMe/Canadian Press)

Ricky Cenabre

Ricky Cenabre, 41, was identified Saturday as the victim in the Mac’s shooting at 109th Street. (gofundme.com)

Earlier, police identified Karanpal Bhangu, 35, as the clerk at the Mill Woods store who came to Canada from India just three months ago with his six-year-old son in order to join his wife, who’s been living here for four years.

Alberta Federation of Labour president Gil McGowan says there should be tougher legislation to better protect vulnerable, night-shift retail workers, who are often young people and immigrants.

Alberta Justice Minister Kathleen Ganley says there will be a review of the rules.

Montreal remembers 14 lives lost during École Polytechnique massacre

Polytechnique massacre 26th anniversary memorialized in Montreal

City remembers 14 lives lost during École Polytechnique shooting on Dec. 6, 1989

CBC News Posted: Dec 06, 2015 7:58 AM ET Last Updated: Dec 06, 2015 6:42 PM ET

Beams of light were projected onto Montreal's night sky during a ceremony on Mount Royal to mark last year's anniversary of the Polytechnique massacre. A similar ceremony took place this year on Sunday night.

Beams of light were projected onto Montreal’s night sky during a ceremony on Mount Royal to mark last year’s anniversary of the Polytechnique massacre. A similar ceremony took place this year on Sunday night. (Ryan Remiorz/CP)

Mtl dec6 plaque.jpg

Plaque at École Polytechnique commemorating victims of the massacre

Ceremonies took place today to commemorate the 26th anniversary of the École Polytechnique massacre in Montreal.

On Dec. 6, 1989, 14 women were killed at the engineering school by a gunman professing to hate feminists and women’s place in society. Another 14 people were injured before the gunman took his own life.

Two rallies in Montreal honoured the memory of the 14 women killed.

The first rally began at 11:45 a.m. ET at Place-du-6-décembre, a memorial park close to École Polytechnique.

People gathered to remember the victims and highlight ongoing issues of gender inequality and violence against women.

(…)

A second gathering started at 5 p.m. on Montreal’s Mount Royal. Fourteen beams of light were projected onto the night sky over the city, representing each of the victims. Attendants observed a minute of silence and the names of the victims were read.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attended, and had only a few words to say to the cameras.

“It’s a moment to remember and to make promises, and that’s what I’m doing,” Trudeau said in French.

_____________

Marc Lépine, born Gamil Gharbi/Gamil Rodrigue Liass Gharbi

His mother, Monique Lépine (Quebec)

His father, Rachid Liass Gharbi (Algeria)