Boy, 14, among nine arrested in string of bank robberies
Share on Facebook
By: The Canadian Press, Published on Fri Aug 15 2014
Five men and four teens have been charged — and another teen is being sought — in a string of bank robberies in the Toronto area.
Police say five banks were robbed in Toronto and Markham between July 22 and Aug. 13.
Rashawn Samuels, 20, of Ajax and Samuel Smith, 18, Elroy Christie, 20, Karlos Perkins, 20, and Joleel Alfred, 22, all of Toronto, are facing multiple charges, including robbery while armed and conspiracy to commit robbery.
Two 17-year-old boys, a 16-year-old boy and a 14-year-old boy, all of Toronto, are also charged with robbery and other offences.
A 17-year-old Mississauga boy is wanted on robbery charges.
Serhat Seyhoglu charged after Border Security: Canada’s Front Line filmed raid on BSSM construction site
CBC News Posted: Aug 11, 2014 4:55 PM PT Last Updated: Aug 11, 2014 4:59 PM PT
Charges have been laid against a Vancouver contractor in connection with a controversial raid by Canada Border Services Agency(CBSA) last year.
Serhat Seyhoglu, president of BSSM Construction Ltd., appeared in provincial court Monday to face charges of breaching the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act by employing two foreign nationals without proper authorization. Continue reading
The Canadian Press
Published Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:52PM EDT
VANCOUVER — The RCMP has charged a British Columbia man for leaving Canada to take part in a terrorist activity.
The Integrated National Security Enforcement Team says 25-year-old Hasibullah Yusufzai of Burnaby is accused of committing an offence for the benefit of a terrorist group or was directed by or associated with such a group.
A police statement said the man left for Syria on Jan. 21.
A woman who answered the phone at Yusufzai’s home said he wasn’t there, then said she didn’t speak English.
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/british-columbia-man-faces-terror-charge-1.1928111#ixzz38JlVrR5e
4 Held, Beaten, Threatened With Machete While Responding To Kijiji Ad
CBC | Posted: 07/19/2014 1:02 pm EDT | Updated: 07/19/2014 5:59 pm EDT
Police are searching for a man who forcibly held and beat four young people while threatening them with a machete after they met him in response to a Kijiji ad.
Police said an 18-year-old man, along with three friends, went to meet another man in the Jane Street and Grandravine Drive area about a car for sale on the website Kijiji on Monday, July 14.
It is alleged that the four met the man in an underground garage and were shown the car before being surrounded by a group men who appeared quite suddenly.
Alhaji Kabba, 18, of Toronto is wanted for:
- Robbery with a Firearm
- Forcible Confinement
- Assault with a Weapon
- Aggravated Assault
- Fail to Comply Recognizance
He is described as black, 6-1″, 180 lbs., with black hair and brown eyes. His photograph has been released and is shown above.
Police are urging the public to call 911 if they see him and not to approach the man as he is considered armed and dangerous.
Mountie who witnessed bus beheading dies by suicide
Published Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:48PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:37PM EDT
After a long struggle with post-traumatic stress disorder, a Mountie who witnessed the beheading of a Greyhound bus passenger has taken his own life.
A family member has confirmed that recently-retired RCMP corporal Ken Barker died by suicide last weekend. A total of 13 Canadian first responders have taken their own lives over the past 10 weeks.
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mountie-who-witnessed-bus-beheading-dies-by-suicide-1.1918550#ixzz37r9m6JOn Continue reading
53 people came to Canada in identity theft fraud, RCMP say
CBC News Posted: Jul 09, 2014 3:44 PM ET Last Updated: Jul 09, 2014 7:39 PM ET
Five people in the Toronto area have been arrested for an alleged scam in Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Continue reading
Toronto man charged after two girls allegedly assaulted
A Toronto man is facing charges in connection with alleged sexual assaults against two girls, aged 12 and 15.
The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:51PM EDT
TORONTO – A Toronto man is facing charges in connection with alleged sexual assaults against two girls, aged 12 and 15.
Police allege a man entered a home (in the Midland Avenue and Lawrence Avenue East area) this spring and sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl.
It’s alleged a similar incident occurred last month when a 15-year-old girl was approached by a man (in the Midland Avenue and Eglinton Avenue East area).
Orfan Azizi, 33, is charged with two counts of sexual assault and two counts of sexual interference.
Investigators say they believe there may be more victims and anyone with information is asked to contact police.
Read more: http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-man-charged-after-two-girls-allegedly-assaulted-1.1904240#ixzz36vAfpLWL
Published Monday, June 23, 2014 10:25PM EDT
Last Updated Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:41PM EDT
Jeyarasan Manikaraja, 40, is dead and a 34-year-old is in custody after a stabbing near 7745 Mountain Sights, just north of Pare in Cote des Neiges at 9:30 p.m. Monday evening.
Manikaraja, a father of three who worked in a restaurant, was found in a nearby alleyway and rushed to hospital but later succumbed to knife wounds to the upper body, believed to be around his neck.
Police rounded up a suspect in a nearby apartment soon after. They believe that a lovers’ triangle might have been at the root of the dispute.
The victim’s son Abisath Manikarajah told CTV Montreal that he watched on as his father was pulled away by the man who brought him down a hill outside of his building.
Manikaraja and the suspect are members of the local Sri Lankan community. According to the victim’s brother, the two were from the same village in Sri Lanka. Continue reading