Category Archives: Reports/Statistics/Opinions, etc.

Vancouver flooded by immigrants from mainland China

Vancouver housing data reveal Chinese connection

IAIN MARLOW - ASIA-PACIFIC CORRESPONDENTThe Globe and Mail

Published 

Last updated 

(…)

Macdonald Realty Ltd., which has over 1,000 agents and staff in B.C., said 33.5 per cent of the 531 single family homes sold by its Vancouver offices in 2013 went to people who the company said were a mix of recent immigrants and Canadian citizens.

Those buyers, the company added, tended to spend more money, too, with the average cost of a house sold to these clients topping $2-million, compared to $1.4-million on average overall.

The figures did not include Macdonald’s sales in suburban areas such as Richmond, Burnaby or North Vancouver.

(…)

The information is based on reports from the firm’s sales, anecdotes from its agents and Mr. Scarrow’s own experience working with mainland Chinese clients, and it’s a glimpse into the influence of mainland Chinese money on Vancouver’s real estate market, which is considered among the most expensive in North America.

Vancouver has been flooded in recent years by tens of thousands of investor-class immigrants from mainland China, who have seen the west coast city as a stable – and picturesque – place to park their capital in luxury property.

That has helped drive up the average price of a single-family home in Vancouver to around $1.2-million.

Mr. Scarrow, who noted the firm does not query buyers about immigration status, believes that investment flowing from mainland China into Vancouver real estate is a quantifiable phenomenon, but has not personally seen much of the more controversial type of buyer: Those from abroad who buy for investment purposes but never live in the city. “We still see very few pure investors from China who have no connection to Vancouver,” he says.

Getting a handle on foreign buyers is difficult and Macdonald’s survey is far from exact – though one major property developer in Richmond said “that sounds about right.” The federal government does not collect meaningful data on the number of foreign buyers purchasing Canadian real estate, leaving industry participants to debate the impact of foreign capital on the local market. And that debate has gotten heated recently, with some developers accusing others of racism and criticizing those who want to slap curbs on foreign investment. The issue is complicated by the fact that some of Vancouver’s ethnically Chinese-Canadian citizens with ties to Hong Kong view newer immigrants from mainland China with a degree of suspicion, assuming their wealth might have been accumulated in part by proximity to China’s Communist Party, rather than in a free market with the rule of law like Hong Kong.

The lack of hard data has also complicated discussions about the city’s affordability crisis and fuelled a local cottage industry where analysts attempt to decipher the scope of foreign money by looking at things like electricity usage in downtown neighbourhoods where some suspect foreign buyers have bought condos in which they never live. Continue reading

Federal government oked companies to hire temporary foreign workers for less than market wage in 2013

Documents show feds allowed companies to underpay temporary foreign workers: union

CTVNews.ca Staff 

Published Friday, August 15, 2014 8:53PM EDT
Last Updated Friday, August 15, 2014 9:46PM EDT

The federal government gave companies across Canada approval to hire temporary foreign workers for less than market wage in 2013, the Alberta Federation of Labour says.

The union said Friday it has obtained internal government documents that show Ottawa sanctioned companies to underpay temporary foreign workers last year, despite rules requiring employers to pay foreign workers the prevailing market wage for their region and skill set. Continue reading

The Liberal Party of Canada on the Temporary Foreign Worker Program

Commentary: Opinion editorial on the Temporary Foreign Worker Program

Contributed by admin on Jul 29, 2014 – 02:15 PM

http://www.northumberlandview.ca

Picture 0 for Opinion editorial on the Temporary Foreign Worker Program

Commentary from the Liberal Party of Canada

Mayor Naheed Nenshi should be applauded for his recent comments about Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program. He not only pointed out that the federal Conservative government’s recent changes to the program will not work for our city, but that it is profoundly un-Canadian “[t]o treat people like commodities that come here for two years and serve us our coffee in the mornings.”

The government created major problems for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program when it began to loosen the rules in 2006; it created an approval process with little oversight that largely amounted to rubber stamping applications, which has directly led to Canadians losing their jobs to temporary foreign workers. Continue reading

SFU student claims European Canada is a fiction

LABOVE: Holding tight to fiction of a European CanadaJOSH LABOVE / NORTH SHORE NEWS  JULY 20, 2014 12:00 AM

Xenophobe Brad Saltzberg has been on a bit of a media tear lately, as spokesperson for what can only be called a hate group for modern times, Putting Canada First.

Saltzberg and his cronies are largely dismissed by city councils and mainstream news media, but I would argue we need to take this group seriously as dangerously divisive and hateful. We should find their invocation of “Canada” and “European Canada” to be disturbing and hateful for the fictions such terms attempt to make of our multicultural, settler society.

Putting Canada First has powerfully worked to align the narrative of our hard-earned tax dollars to that of the greedy migrant. Saltzberg’s interviews attempt a dispassionate view of multiculturalism veiled as a waste of taxpayer resources, telling a Shaw Continue reading

Ricardo Duchesne and Tim Murray on an environmentalist/corporate rapprochement around Immigration

Monday, 14 July 2014

Environmentalist/Corporate Rapprochement around Immigration

Ricardo Duchesne and Tim Murray

In my [Murray's] small community, in December of 2009, the local branch of the Sierra Club, “Sierra Quadra”, held a demonstration in front of the post office at the Q. Cove shopping plaza. Demonstrators carried placards urging delegates at the Copenhagen Conference on Climate Change to come to a meaningful and effective agreement.

A few days ago, July 11, 2014, was “World Population Day“, where people across the world tried to raise awareness about the need to address this most serious emergency of world overpopulation. Guess what? No Sierra Club demonstrators were to be seen either here on Quadra Island, or in front of B.C. Sierra Club headquarters in Victoria, or in any branch of the Sierra Club in Canada. How could these climate-obsessed “environmentalists” remain silent about the primary underlying driver of all environmental problems: overpopulation?

For the founder of Earth Day, Gaylord Nelson, overpopulation was a key constituent of environmental degradation. This relationship between environmental degradation and population growth was accepted by every one of Nelson’s allies, including long-time Sierra Club director David Brower. In fact, the IPAT equation, developed by Paul Ehrlich and John Holdren, was the foundational formula of the environmental movement as it emerged in the 1970s. “I” (environmental impact) = P (the population level) x A (per capita consumption) x T (technological change). Some believed that post-World War II production technologies were the main reason for environmental deterioration, but Ehrlich and Holdren insisted that population size was the most important IPAT factor. Continue reading

Citizenship reform hurts good immigrants, newcomers say

Citizenship reform hurts good immigrants, newcomers say

Ottawa’s proposed citizenship reform will punish good immigrants, many of them say, by putting more hurdles for them to become full-fledged members of society

By:  Immigration reporter, Published on Thu Feb 06 2014
  • Share on Facebook
  • inShare4
  • Reddit this!

Ottawa’s proposed citizenship reform will punish good immigrants by putting more hurdles for them to become full-fledged members of society, many newcomers say.

They say restricting citizenship won’t strengthen the value of Canadian citizenship — an argument Immigration Minister Chris Alexander made Thursday — but discourage newcomers from full civic participation. Some even wonder if Canada is still a welcoming country to immigrants. Continue reading

Union group: Canadians losing jobs to foreign workers shows system broken

Union group: Canadians losing jobs to foreign workers shows system broken

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/union-group-canadians-losing-jobs-to-foreign-workers-shows-system-broken-1.1676638#ixzz2shYXfed6

The Canadian Press
Published Friday, February 7, 2014 8:24PM EST

FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. — The federal government says dozens of workers laid off in Alberta’s oilpatch have jobs again, but a labour group says that’s not the case and it points to a broken temporary foreign worker system.

Earlier this week, the government announced it was investigating whether the 65 workers at Imperial Oil’s (TSX:IMO) Kearl project had been replaced with workers from Croatia at half the pay.

An official with the Employment and Social Development Department said Friday all of the laid-off workers have received job offers on “other projects in the area.” Continue reading

QUEBEC: Sovereignist group denounces Bill 60, says it goes too far

CTV Montreal

Published Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:16PM EST

Saying it goes too far, a group of sovereignists who support inclusive secularism spoke out Sunday against the proposed Charter of Quebec Values.

Calling itself Sovereignists for Inclusive Secularism, the group said the proposed Charter takes banning wearing “conspicuous” religious wear to an extreme, adding Bill 60 would create a climate of intolerance in the province.

The groups said rather than promoting equality between the sexes, the bill would penalize Muslim women especially. (…)

Read more: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/sovereignist-group-denounces-bill-60-says-it-goes-too-far-1.1656733#ixzz2rYrMM1FG

As of today, January 23, 2014, and after 13 years online, Free Dominion is closing its doors to the public. We have been successfully censored.

http://www.freedominion.ca/phpBB2/search.php?search_id=active_topics

Capture_freedominion

As of today, January 23, 2014, and after 13 years online, Free Dominion is closing its doors to the public. We have been successfully censored.

Today, Ontario Superior Court Justice Robert Smith issued an order in the Richard Warman vs Mark and Connie Fournier and John Does defamation case heard September, 2013. In addition to ordering that we must pay Warman $127,000, Justice Smith issued an injunction against us ordering we that never publish, or allow to be published, anything negative about Richard Warman. This means we are barred for life from ever operating a public forum or a blog (even about cookie recipes) where the public can comment. If we do so, any one of Warman’s handful of supporters could, and probably would, use a common proxy server to avoid being traced, plant a negative comment about Warman on our site, and we would both be charged with contempt of court. If that happened –unlike in the Ottawa courtroom where we were blocked at every turn from presenting a defense– we actually would have no defense. We would both go to jail. This life sentence was imposed for our terrible crimes of voicing our honestly held beliefs and allowing others to do the same. Defamation law, in its current state, is entirely inadequate and counterproductive when applied to the internet. Now it is being used as a tool of censorship. Effectively!

We are assessing our options.

In faith,
Mark and Connie Fournier

“If it takes force to impose your ideas on your fellow man, there is something wrong with your ideas. If you are willing to use force to impose your ideas on your fellow man, there is something wrong with you.” – Mark Fournier

 

 

Montreal: La Ronde amusement park implements religious accommodations for Jews and Muslims

La Ronde : Un accommodement raisonnable qui déplaît à certains

montreal.radionrj.ca
Affiché par: François Coulombe-Giguère fcoulombegiguere@astral.com · 2013-07-17 07:45:00

Des habitués de La Ronde sont outrés que les juifs et les musulmans puissent entrer sur le site avec leurs lunchs, alors que c’est interdit pour les autres.

Une journaliste du Journal de Montréal a fait le test avec un voile et on l’a laissé entrer avec son lunch. On appose alors un collant “autorisation médicale”.

Selon des témoignages, ce serait toléré car il n’y a pas de mets casher et halal dans les restaurants du parc d’attraction.

La direction de La Ronde se contente de répondre que tous les clients peuvent apporter leurs lunchs et le consommer dans les aires réservées.

________

CIR :

Some La Ronde fans are shocked to discover that outside food is now banned from the amusement park, except for Jewish and Muslim visitors.

A reporter from Journal de Montreal wore a headscarf and had no trouble bringing her lunch into the park after La Ronde staff  labelled it with a “medical authorization” sticker.  According to reports, these exceptions are being made due to a lack of Kosher and Halal food in the park’s concessions.

La Ronde officials maintain that all visitors are permitted to bring outside food and enjoy their meals in dedicated eating spaces.

 

This  petition is on Facebook on the page of Fédération Québécois Souche .

http://www.petitions24.net/un_lunch_a_la_ronde

Bonjour à tous. J’ai mis en ligne cette pétition suite à un article que j’ai lu sur des accommodements raisonnables pour les juifs et les musulmans à La Ronde. (voir le lien en bas de page) La Ronde à une politique qui empêche les gens d’entrée sur le site avec un lunch. Tous les sacs sont fouillés pour qu’aucune nourriture n’entre sur le site. Par contre, avec cet “accommodement”, les juifs et les musulmans peuvent amener leur lunch sans problèmes. Cette pétition à pour but l’égalité, peu importe la religion. La Ronde se doit de révoquer cet “accommodement”. Il n’y a que 2 solutions possibles: 1) Obliger TOUS les gens à manger à l’extérieur du parc (telle est la situation actuelle de la plupart des clients de la ronde) ou autoriser TOUS les gens à amener un lunch sur le site. Autrement que ses 2 solutions, c’est de la discrimination, point à la ligne. Signons cette pétition pour que ca change, pour que ce soit égal pour TOUS!!!

http://montreal.radionrj.ca/info-nrj/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10568480

Lorsqu’un bon nombre de personne auront signé la pétition, je la ferai parvenir au parc d’attraction La Ronde, et à Six Flags.

 

UPDATE

La Ronde has reversed the decision and allows  all visitors to bring their own food.