Category Archives: Racial/Religious/Ethnic conflict/tension

Ottawa Valley Cleaning and Restoration fined because it wants to give jobs to white people only

Ottawa-area company fined after saying it only hires ‘white men’

MARIA BABBAGE

TORONTO — The Canadian Press

Published 

Last updated 

An Ottawa-area company discriminated against a foreign-born job applicant by telling him it “only hires white men” in a series of “abusive” text messages, Ontario’s Human Rights Tribunal has ruled.

It ordered Ottawa Valley Cleaning and Restoration to pay $8,000 plus interest to Malek Bouraoui – who was denied employment in June, 2013 – saying it found “multiple violations” of his rights under the Human Rights Code.

“The respondent persistently ridiculed the applicant because of his race, colour and place of origin,” the tribunal said in its decision last week.

“I am satisfied that the applicant was deeply hurt, shocked and humiliated by the respondent’s comments and that he was denied employment based on a number of prohibited grounds.”

After applying for a job, Mr. Bouraoui said he received a call from a man named Jesse, who asked what country he was from and whether he was white or black. Mr. Bouraoui, who is black, testified that he told the man that he was not from Canada, but was too shocked to answer the other question about his race.

A short time later, Mr. Bouraoui said he received a text message from Jesse, telling him to “try learning English you will have better luck I don’t hire foreners [sic] I keep the white man working.” Continue reading

CALGARY: Israeli–Palestinian conflict brought into Canadian streets

July 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Tensions flare at Calgary protest over conflict in Gaza Strip

By   Global News

CALGARY- A protest in downtown Calgary about the conflict in the Gaza Stripturned violent on Friday.

Around 6 p.m., hundreds of people gathered in front of City Hall in support of Palestinians who have been killed by Israeli fire in Gaza. However, a handful of Israeli supporters showed up, and a confrontation broke out.

Some men began pushing and shoving, and one man even stomped on an Israeli flag.

That prompted police to get involved, and a line of police officers set up across Macleod Trail to try and ease tensions.

As a result, all four lanes of Macleod Trail near Olympic Plaza were shut down.

(…)

Surrey: Two male vandals shatter windows of Hindu Lakshmi Narayan Temple with baseball bat decorated with Sikh symbols

Capture_baseballbat

Members of a Surrey temple are putting their place of worship back together after vandals shattered their windows with a baseball bat.
Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/members-stunned-after-vandals-smash-windows-of-surrey-temple-1.1338684#ixzz2XBHLKeyG

Members stunned after vandals smash windows of Surrey temple
CTV BC: Surrey temple’s windows smashed by vandals
Members of a Surrey temple are putting their place of worship back together after vandals shattered their windows with a baseball bat.

CTV British Columbia
Published Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:47PM PDT
Last Updated Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:54PM PDT

Members of a Surrey temple are putting their place of worship back together after vandals shattered their windows with a baseball bat.

Security cameras rolled as two men, each with bats in hand, walked toward the Lakshmi Narayan Temple on 140th Street sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Shortly after, a cloud of dust – presumably from a smashed window below – floats into the air before the men are seen disappearing into the night. Continue reading

B.C.: Sikhs bring ethnic conflict into Canada

A billboard on the Queensborough Bridge that displays a disturbing image of the 1984 Sikh massacre is drawing complaints from citizens concerned the message may incite violence.
The Khalsa Diwan Society in New Westminster paid $2,000 for the ad, which depicts an elderly Sikh man being beaten by Indian police next to the caption: “Sikhs remember 1984 genocide.”
Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/critics-fear-billboard-portraying-sikh-massacre-could-incite-violence-1.1337040#ixzz2XBDloTIF

Read more: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/critics-fear-billboard-portraying-sikh-massacre-could-incite-violence-1.1337040#ixzz2XBB9racB

CTV British Columbia
Published Friday, June 21, 2013 10:17PM PDT
Last Updated Friday, June 21, 2013 10:44PM PDT

A billboard on the Queensborough Bridge that displays a disturbing image of the 1984 Sikh massacre is drawing complaints from citizens concerned the message may incite violence.

The Khalsa Diwan Society in New Westminster paid $2,000 for the ad, which depicts an elderly Sikh man being beaten by Indian police next to the caption: “Sikhs remember 1984 genocide.”

Temple spokesman Sukhpreet Singh told CTV News the billboard was intended to remind people of the violence committed against innocent Sikhs after Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was murdered by her Sikh bodyguards. Continue reading

Haitian Jean Pascal, who moved to Canada for a better life, derisively calls Lucian Bute “a Romanian who came to Quebec to make money and he did it because of Quebeckers”

Lucian Bute

Haitian Jean Pascal

Last update: 12/19/2012
Pascal Rips Bute: A Romanian Who Came Here To Profit! 
By Edward Chaykovsky

Former WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal is back in the hunt for fellow Canadian star Lucian Bute. Both boxers suffered big defeats in the last two years and both of them recently returned to the ring to secure wins. Pascal appears to be heading to rematch with WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson in March, and Bute is pushing to have a rematch with Carl Froch around the same time period.

Pascal (27-2-1, 16 KO) wants the Canadian boxing fans to apply the pressure on Bute (31-1, 24 KO) to make their fight happen in 2013. The fight has been discussed for several years but never comes close to happening. It would be a mega-match between the two most popular boxers in the country.

“The fans should put pressure on Bute, since he and (his promoter) InterBox owe it to them,” Pascal told QMI Agency this week. “He’s a Romanian who came to Quebec to make money and he did it because of Quebeckers. It’s the least he can do to give them that. It would be an historic event.”

Pro-Khalistan militancy on Canadian soil protected by the Charter

Canadian Sikhs Applaud PM Harper’s Stand On Free Speech And Telling India To Stop Crying About “Khalistan” Free Expression In Canada

thelinkpaper.ca

Saturday, November 17th, 2012 | Posted by  thelinkpaper.ca admin

The Indian government has consistently raised concerns of “Sikh extremism” in Canada with their Canadian political counterparts. The Canadian Sikh community has always responded that no signs of such extremism exist and that India’s allegations are nothing but baseless accusations. This time the Prime Minister responded with a similar statement that Canada is competent in monitoring its internal affairs and has a close watch on any forms of violent threat. However, mere dialogue on the topic of Khalistan cannot be classified as “extreme” as all Canadians are granted the freedom of expression and political association by the Charter. Continue reading

Toronto’s Hindu schism: Pandit Roopnauth Sharma says Ron Banerjee’s group “does not represent the Hindu community by any means”

 

Pundit Roopnath Sharma congratulated those involved in allowing Muslims students to pray on campus in the mosqueteria case.

Prominent Canadian Hindu leader denounces decision to show anti-Muslim movie

Ron Banerjee said that Muslim prayer sessions in public schools interfere with the students’ education.

Published on Saturday September 15, 2012
Touria Izri 
Staff Reporter

A prominent member of the Hindu community has denounced a Toronto Hindu group’s decision to screen the anti-Muslim movie that has sparked riots throughout the Middle East.

“I can see no reason for showing the film in light of what is happening across the world,” said Pandit Roopnauth Sharma, president of the Canadian Hindu Federation and a pandit at Ram Mandir, a Hindu temple in Mississauga. Continue reading

Surrey: Indo-Canadian Soccer Association promotes apartheid

Soccer league bans B.C. pre-teens from tournaments because team is too diverse

Brian Hutchinson | Aug 13, 2012 7:49 PM ET | Last Updated: Aug 14, 2012 10:21 AM ET
More from Brian Hutchinson

JACOB ZINN / Surrey NOW
Debbie Christiansen’s son and his teammates aren’t allowed to compete in tournaments by the United Summer Soccer Association because of a controversial rule from the Indo-Canadian Soccer Association.

VANCOUVER — They are a diverse group of players, the lads from the B.C. Tigers summer soccer club. Some parents have dubbed the Surrey-based outfit “Team United Nations,” thanks to its ethnically mixed roster of pre-teen boys, who come from East Indian, Caucasian and African backgrounds.

No big surprise there. Surrey is one of the most multicultural cities in Canada, and the Tigers preach inclusion. Originally known as the Punjab Tigers, the club changed its name in 2009 to B.C. Tigers, “to allow for diversity and broadband [sic] its efforts to integrate [sic] into other communities,” according to a team website. Continue reading

Swastikas and “KKK” scrawled onto Brampton’s Khalsa School

 

Khalsa Day Celebration 2012

Saturday, July 14th, 2012 | Posted by admin
WSO, Canadian Race Relations And Immigration Minister Kenney Condemns Racist Vandalism At Brampton Sikh School

 

WSO had previously expressed concern over increased racist hostility against the Canadian Sikh community in the wake of mainstream media’s news stories portraying Sikhs as extremists.

BRAMPTON – The World Sikh Organization of Canada were joined by the Canadian Race Relations Foundation and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney in condemning the racist vandalism of Brampton’s Khalsa School.

On Monday night racist graffiti was spray-painted onto the walls of the Sikh elementary school. Security video appears to show that the racist vandals were three young people, who scrawled swastikas and the letters “KKK” onto the walls of the Sikh elementary school. Continue reading

Montreal: Black girl allegedly assaulted due to her race and gender awarded $10,000 in damages by the Quebec Human Rights and Youth Rights Commission

BLACK SCHOOLGIRL AWARDED $10,000 IN DAMAGES FOR RACE-BASED ASSAULT
Montreal, July 23, 2012 — With CRARR’s help, a young Black girl has been found a victim of race-based harassment, assault and intimidation in a school on Montréal’s South Shore and awarded $10,000 in damages by the Quebec Human Rights and Youth Rights Commission.

In Fall 2009, A.M., then 14, was bullied on a number of occasions, suffering verbal and physical assault due to her race and gender, at a school in Saint-Constant that is part of the Des Grandes Seigneuries school board. She was also called a “bitch” and “nègre” on a number of occasions as well as the victim of offensive and demeaning messages on her Facebook wall. She also received threatening letters, among other incidents.

In June 2010, as A.M. was walking to the bus stop on her way home, some white girls approached her and called her a “bitch.” This was followed by other racial slurs, including repeated use of the N-word, in front of other students. She was also beaten. On hearing name-calling and shouting over her daughter’s phone, A.M.’s mother drove with her son to the scene of the incident. As they tried to protect her from the verbal and physical assault, A.M. and her mother were almost hit with a scooter helmet by a white female student. Continue reading