Surjit Dosanjh charged in Richmond arson that killed woman, left Kalvin Dosanjh-Leznoff critical

Son-in-law of Elaine Leznoff charged with second-degree murder

CBC News Posted: Apr 17, 2015 12:26 PM PT Last Updated: Apr 17, 2015 12:26 PM PT

Charges have been laid in a Richmond house fire that left 1 woman dead and a boy in critical condition.Charges have been laid in a Richmond house fire that left 1 woman dead and a boy in critical condition. (Shane MacKichan/CBC)

Second-degree murder charges have been laid against Surjit Dosanjh after a house fire in Richmond, B.C. left his mother-in-law dead and a 13-year-old boy in critical condition.

Elaine Leznoff, 66, died in the fire, which was declared an arson by the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT).

IHIT said Friday that the injured boy, Kalvin Dosanjh-Leznoff, is not expected to live.

Dosanjh, 37. was estranged from his family earlier this month, and was not living at the home at the time of the fire.

Richmond firefighters were called to the home in the 10000 block of Cornerbrook Crescent around 2 a.m. PT April 13, after reports the home was engulfed in flames.

 

SURREY, B.C. :Mayor Linda Hepner delivers condolences to family of street-level drug dealer Arun Bains

Keven Drews, The Canadian Press
Published Monday, April 20, 2015 5:29PM EDT
Last Updated Monday, April 20, 2015 10:28PM EDT

SURREY, B.C. — The mayor of a Metro Vancouver city plagued by a gang war has implored those shooting at each other to stop before more people are killed, adding police will get the necessary resources to deal with the violence.

Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner was flanked by the area’s top officers Monday as politicians and police presented a united front against the suspects behind 22 shootings since March 9 in that city and in neighbouring Delta.

The latest victim was shot a day earlier and identified Monday by provincial NDP Leader John Horgan as the nephew of Harry Bains, one of the party’s members of the legislature, whose riding is in Surrey.

Chief Superintendent Bill Fordy, left, Surrey Mayor Linda Hepner, centre, and Assistant Commissioner Dan Malow address the recent spate of shootings in Surrey, B.C. at a news conference on Monday, April 20, 2015. (Keven Drews / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

Condolences to the family of 22-year-old Arun Bains were the first thing Hepner delivered at the news conference.

“This has to stop before any more lives are lost,” she said. “I am imploring those that have been involved in these shootings to take a sober look at the grim reality of your action.

“While you may have been fortunate to escape any serious injury to date, what happened yesterday is a fate that can easily befall you.”

Police were called to reports of gunfire early Sunday and found Bains inside a vehicle that had crashed into a pole.

Mounties have said Bains was known to be connected to the street-level drug trade and became the first person to lose his life since the shootings began six weeks ago.

RCMP assistant commissioner Dan Malo said groups of individuals who want to violently take over profits from the drug trade and target vulnerable people are involved.

EDMONTON: Sivakumar Devarajah convicted of impaired driving causing death

 

Agnes Morgan

Edmonton man guilty of impaired driving causing death

BY , EDMONTON SUN

FIRST POSTED: | UPDATED: 

An Edmonton man who fatally struck an elderly woman in a west-end crosswalk was convicted Monday of impaired driving causing death.

Sivakumar Devarajah, 55, was also found guilty of driving over .08 causing death in connection with the Feb. 4, 2013, collision that killed Agnes Morgan, 77.

Court of Queen’s Bench Justice Donald Manderscheid ruled that Devarajah’s driving was “negligent and faulty” and said his impairment by alcohol at the time was a “significant” cause of the deadly collision.

Manderscheid rejected Devarajah’s claim that the blinding sun had blocked his view of Morgan as she began walking through the crosswalk, saying others were able to see the senior and noting he had failed to lower his visor.

(…)

Crown prosecutor Kim Goddard told court she would be seeking a sentence of four to five years in prison.

Court has heard Devarajah was in a Ford F-150 pickup truck stopped at a red light on 110 Avenue at the intersection of 156 Street and waiting to turn left to go south.

Marc Wabafiyebazu pleads not guilty to murder in Florida drug-related shootout

The Associated Press Posted: Apr 20, 2015 11:51 AM ET Last Updated: Apr 20, 2015 4:28 PM ET

The 15-year-old son of a Canadian diplomat has pleaded not guilty to murder charges in a Miami drug-related shootout that killed his older brother.

Marc Wabafiyebazu 20150408Marc Wabafiyebazu is the son of a Canadian diplomat who police say was involved in a drug-related shootout that killed his brother and another teenager. (Handout/Canadian Press)

The attorney for Marc Wabafiyebazu entered the plea Monday on his behalf to adult felony murder, attempted murder and other charges.

Wabafiyebazu waived his appearance in court. Circuit Judge Richard Hersch set a tentative July 20 trial date.

Wabafiyebazu is the son of Roxanne Dubé, the Canadian consul general in Miami. Her other son, Jean Wabafiyebazu, was fatally shot in the March 30 confrontation over a marijuana deal that also left 17-year-old Joshua Wright dead.

Two other young men also pleaded not guilty Monday in the case.

Police say the gunfire erupted after the Wabafiyebazu brothers tried to rob the drug dealers.

Montreal residents Sabrine Djermane and El Mahdi Jamali charged with participating in activity of a terrorist group, tip from the community helps the RCMP

Two Montréal Residents Charged with Participating in Activity of a Terrorist Group: Tip from the Community Helps the RCMP

RCMP Shoulder badge

Montréal, April 20, 2015 – The Montréal Integrated National Security Enforcement Team (INSET) announces today that charges have been filed against Sabrine Djermane and El Mahdi Jamali, both aged 18. The two Montréal residents are currently in preventive detention. They face the following charges under the Criminal Code of Canada:

  • 83.181 – Attempting to leave Canada to participate in activity of a terrorist group
  • 83.19 – Facilitating terrorist activity
  • 83.2 – Commission of an offence for a terrorist group
  • 81 (1)(d) – Using explosives

These charges result from a short police investigation launched after information was received from the community. The investigation showed that Sabrine Djermane and El Mahdi Jamali were planning to leave the country to commit a terrorist act abroad.

Sabrine Djermane and El Mahdi Jamali appeared in court in Montréal this morning to face the charges filed against him.

The investigation is still ongoing. The INSET is trying to determine if other individuals associated to the accused could have conspired with them. The INSET asks for the cooperation of the public. Information can be reported to the National Security Information Line at 1 800 420-5805, by email at nsci_ecsn@rcmp-grc.gc.ca or your local police.

Ottawa police seeking help to identify man and woman for questioning on stabbing death of Connor Stevenson

Published on: April 19, 2015
Last Updated: April 19, 2015 9:57 PM EDT

The Ottawa police major crime section is seeking help to identify two individuals who may have important information related to a homicide on Jasmine Crescent.Ottawa police

Police hope someone will come forward to identity two people — a man and a woman — whom investigators believe have “important information” in connection with the recent stabbing death of Connor Stevenson.

Early last week, the 18-year-old, a one-time Gloucester High School student, became the city’s second homicide of year after being stabbed at least three times in the chest while in the sixth floor stairwell of Sutton Place, part of a two-tower highrise complex at 2020 Jasmine Cres., in Ottawa’s east side, where he lived with his mother and stepfather. He was pronounced dead after being rushed to hospital.

The Ottawa police major crime section released photos Sunday of a man and woman, both black, they want to identify, saying the two “may have important information related to a homicide on Jasmine Crescent.”

One photo shows a hooded young woman in a bright pinkish coat talking on a cellphone while riding an elevator in the building. Another shows her in the hallway approaching the elevators still on a cellphone.

The man’s pictures show him wearing a black leather coat over a hoodie, with the hood on his head. Despite the hood, man’s face is revealed both as he enters an elevator and when as he looks up at the floor indicator on the elevator.

“The man and woman shown in these images were at the building at the time of the incident, and investigators believe they have important information to contribute to the investigation,” major crimes Staff Sgt. Robert Drummond said Sunday.

Matthew House Refuge Services and Furniture Bank hope to raise thousands for refugee claimants’ sheltter

Shelter for refugee claimants holding first variety show fundraiser

Matthew House and Furniture Bank hope to raise thousands

Matthew House fundraiser

Matthew House fundraiser

File

Matthew House executive director Miriam Rawson, left, and volunteer Claire Haas in front of Matthew House, located along Centrepointe Drive in Nepean.
Kanata Kourier-Standard

An organization that supports newcomers to Ottawa who are seeking refugee status is holding a variety show fundraiser at Kanata Baptist Church on April 24.

The event, which will feature singing, dancing and musical talent from locals and newcomers, is in support of Matthew House Refuge Services and Furniture Bank.

With attendance free to those under 18 and tickets $10 per person, organizers hope to raise $2,000 to help keep Matthew House running.

Matthew House is a Christian organization that draws its inspiration from the Matthew 25:25 Network, referring to Bible scripture about welcoming newcomers. It seeks to do that by providing refugees and refugee claimants a place to live and guidance during the refugee claim process.

With space for up to 10 people at a time, Matthew House, located along Centrepointe Drive in Nepean, has helped more than 100 people from dozens of countries since it started in 2010.

Partnered with Furniture Bank located in Kanata, the organization can also provide their residents with volunteer work, job skills and furniture for their future homes.

The majority of the organization’s funding comes from churches, individuals and grants, but does not receive government funding, said Matthew House’s program manager, Kailee Brennan.

“In an NGO (non-governmental organization) like that, you are always looking for ways to fundraise,” she said.

Much of Matthew House’s operating budget comes from its own Ride for Refuge event held in October, and participation in Ottawa Race Weekend.

Liberal Leader David Swann unveil party’s five-point plan to improve lives of new Canadians

Liberals unveil five-point plan to improve lives of new Canadians

Published on: April 18, 2015
Last Updated: April 18, 2015 8:44 PM MDT

Liberal Leader David Swann unveiled his party’s five-point plan to improve the lives of new Canadians Saturday, April 18, 2015 in CalgaryTrevor Howell / Calgary Herald

The Alberta government is inadequately funding social agencies and programs aimed at helping immigrants successfully transition into Canadian society and the workforce, says Liberal Leader David Swann.

Swann unveiled his party’s five-point plan on Saturday that would bolster local immigration agencies, improve English language and jobs training, streamline the foreign credential review process, and add $25 million for settlement funding.

“We do not believe the PCs have done a good job in preparing and supporting new Canadians and helping them adequately to have their credentials, their training (and) their expertise recognized here,” Swann told roughly 50 supporters at a northeast Liberal campaign office.

Settlement agencies the provide essential services to newcomers lack the resources to adequately meet demand, Swann said.

 Further, he said the Liberals would increase funding to traditional and Internet English language training to unburden social agencies, teachers and help immigrants reach their full potential faster.

“It’s impossible to succeed in this culture without a strong basis in language learning,” Swann said. “We don’t see a strong commitment there by the Alberta government.”

The Tory government was criticized last month for slashing millions of dollars from specialty grants to school boards in the budget, including nearly $3 million from the ESL grant.

“Some people transition easily and in six months … some people are going to take longer,” Swann said. “The provincial government has to help people make whatever the transition timing is right for them and their families.”

thowell@calgaryherald.com